News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the other false rumor, this too has already been refuted as false from Microsoft.

Kinect is an integral part of the Xbox One system. It's not going away.

It can be disabled though:
xbox.com said:
You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/privacy

And yet the interview I quoted was a blanket statement stating that Kinect is required to play games.
It would have been easy to keep it clear by simply stating some games will require Kinect. One extra little word.

And yet the interview I quoted was a blanket statement stating that Kinect is required to play games.
It would have been easy to keep it clear by simply stating some games will require Kinect. One extra little word.

Kinect never was required to play games.

I don't care about numerology now. I mean... I don't know what's my pre-order number. But I finally managed to pre-order the console!

I am so happyyyyyyyy.

they had better not pull Kinect from every box... I'm counting on it and already pre-ordered expecting devs to know they are in the home... no idea why people keep saying they want it out... most people complaining would never buy the XOne anyway, just leave it alone

they had better not pull Kinect from every box... I'm counting on it and already pre-ordered expecting devs to know they are in the home... no idea why people keep saying they want it out... most people complaining would never buy the XOne anyway, just leave it alone
They would never do that, I think.

Xbox One:love:with Kinect... without it to me it's like the value of every console and all the work engineers did on it is greatly deprecated.

It's interesting to read or hear what other people think and some people who want it out express their opinion because they actually feel it's not for them. Then there are others who just want it out because since the DRM-thing worked they probably feel entitled to ask for more and more, til the console gets terribly unrecognisable. -which is obviously utterly uncalled for, abusive-

The first group I can understand because it's an actual choice. The others...I don't know. It seems to me that by doing so it would give those more radical people with a 'we are a hivemind' mentality undeserved credibility.

Do you work for ms? I'm not trying to be smart but I'm taking my cues from an interview with an ms guy who said it will be required vs what I hear on the enet from posters.

No platform owner is ever that draconian to require tons of extra work. You just end up with shitty Kinect functionality that will make everyone hate it.

Kinect is like cheesecake, best eaten a bit at a time, eating an entire cake will sour you on the experience. For most games it should be an ADDITIONAL input, not the only input.

Do you work for ms? I'm not trying to be smart but I'm taking my cues from an interview with an ms guy who said it will be required vs what I hear on the enet from posters.

No, I don't work for MS, Kinect was required to be plugged-in, at system level. Just take a look to the games, none of the games requires Kinect at gameplay EDIT: Except Kinect Sports Rivals.

No platform owner is ever that draconian to require tons of extra work. You just end up with shitty Kinect functionality that will make everyone hate it.

Kinect is like cheesecake, best eaten a bit at a time, eating an entire cake will sour you on the experience. For most games it should be an ADDITIONAL input, not the only input.
Every first party game is required to use Kinect. They are not required to use only Kinect, but they must incorporate Kinect into their game in a non-trivial way.
I don't know about third parties, but there was talk of making Kinect support a TCR.

Every first party game is required to use Kinect. They are not required to use only Kinect, but they must incorporate Kinect into their game in a non-trivial way.
I don't know about third parties, but there was talk of making Kinect support a TCR.

Well, they can comply using voice commands, I guess.

Well, it's easy to force your own studios to use it when you own them. There's no such thing as backlash. 3rd parties however would be far more difficult decision and would really come down to the strength of their SDK tools. History has shown that 3rd parties tend to rarely use such features well. I mean, the PS3 controller has Sixaxis, and I struggle to think of a good 3rd party game that makes use of it. Same with Wii MotionPlus.

Well, it's easy to force your own studios to use it when you own them. There's no such thing as backlash. 3rd parties however would be far more difficult decision and would really come down to the strength of their SDK tools. History has shown that 3rd parties tend to rarely use such features well. I mean, the PS3 controller has Sixaxis, and I struggle to think of a good 3rd party game that makes use of it. Same with Wii MotionPlus.

If it's a TCR, they'll use it.
How well is a different question.
It would not be close to the most onerous TCR they have to comply with.
I generally don't like TCR's that dictate mechanics, but even without the TCR I could see 3rd parties at least playing with it. A lot would come down to how the lead designer perceived the device.
And it only takes one use that's critically acclaimed and everyone will feel it's necessary.
I think the future of this type of interface is in more subtle uses, not standing in front of a TV pretending to wave a sword around, question is if the technology is good enough yet.

If it's a TCR, they'll use it.
How well is a different question.
It would not be close to the most onerous TCR they have to comply with.
I generally don't like TCR's that dictate mechanics, but even without the TCR I could see 3rd parties at least playing with it. A lot would come down to how the lead designer perceived the device.
And it only takes one use that's critically acclaimed and everyone will feel it's necessary.
I think the future of this type of interface is in more subtle uses, not standing in front of a TV pretending to wave a sword around, question is if the technology is good enough yet.

Agreed. The media interface using voice commands or pointing is particularly where it see value. Not so much in the types of games that are currently hits.

But sports games like boxing, tennis, bowling, or even hack and slash games (like RYSE) may work

Yes. It's just monkeys parroting the same false rumor. There is only 1 source for it. All the others are posting their reaction and covering that same single-source false rumor.

No, Verge said their own sources have corroborated
the claims made in the pastebin about MS looking at time limits for sharing.

And really, it seems like the far more plausible scenario than sharing without any limits (besides 1 person playing a game at a time).

And really, it seems like the far more plausible scenario than sharing without any limits (besides 1 person playing a game at a time).

Except that it's been explicitly denied by 2 different MS execs on twitter.

Simple question: why on earth would anyone care if multiple people are playing a 45 minute demo at the same time? I'm not trying to insult anyone, but that just sounds stupid. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back