News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not new. I remember reading from some "insider" that MS was the most consumer reaction focused large company out there, to a fault.

If only they reacted as fast as they did now to Windows 8's missing start button!

It going to be interesting seeing how they market this going forward. A bunch of the cool new features now are broken. Like having games running in the background while waiting for an online match in another game. The fast switching between games is also broken. And the "cloud" non sense... Going to be fun to watch....

Those are all still in, you just need to get the digital versions.

I doubt it by the launch it will mostly be forgotten. Other then an example of consumers making a change and the stupid things marketing said in it's defense. In fact it has the potential to be seen as Something similiar to the 3DS ambassadors program and subsenquent announcements via Nintendo if theygo on to be wildly successful.

Well the $100 price difference is going to persist. Myself I already pre-ordered a PS4 with $100 down. With no backwards compatibility I just don't feel the need to get xb one.

Really the xbone launch is going to something talk about generation of console down the line. Its up there with the sega saturn launch.

You 100% sure about that?
I still think it'll take off with the marketing blitz. If the new Kinect UI and TV stuff works as presented.

I didn't like the idea of a 24h offline limit, but we're losing some very cool features with it.

The absence of Kinect at their e3 press conference tells you how reactionary they are.

They should've stuck to their plans, and made them clear for everyone.

It tells me that they are not stupid. You can look at Sony's profits and losses as an example of what sticking to your poor plans gives you. They were getting ready to spend billions on this box and make a small amount of profit in the later years. Compared to the 360 it likely would've been a complete disaster.

You 100% sure about that?

Just a guess but why wouldn't digital versions allow you to quick swap between games?

If hope they don't remove it from the standard. If they remove it, it'll basically be a forgotten peripheral. In that case, I might as well just go and buy a PC.

Yeah pretty sure they wouldn't remove it. The slick UI and entertainment features kind of go hand in hand with having the camera.

IMO opinion Microsoft is still missing the consumer friendly solution. I suggested this to a Microsoft employee before the Xbox 360 launch and it was ignored, but let me lay it out here.

Let consumers install a disc copy to the hard drive so the disc is never needed again if the system is online. The risk is someone else can play the disc offline and two people play with a single purchase. This isn't a big risk and can be minimized by pinging the authentication server if the Xbox using the disc copy is used in an online system.

Maybe someone that uses an online console might disconnect just so they can play a "free game." They can make this more of a pain by recording all discs played on the system including when they were played and next time the Xbox is online this information can be uploaded to the authentication server.

If the time stamp is newer than the installed copy on another Xbox the installed copy is deactivated until it is reauthenticated.

I think this solution makes the system more user friendly by supporting disc less play yet retains the flexibility of offline play. There's also no risk of mass piracy and even small scale piracy is annoying enough to limit it's scale.

Jimmy Fallon must have been the final straw.

Fallon: "PS4 is the only console that can play used games right?"
Cerny: "Yes that's right, and no internet connection is required"
(crowd cheers and applauds) :eek:

Just a guess but why wouldn't digital versions allow you to quick swap between games?
because they remove the other features that would work for digital version.

They really need to hold another press conference just to clear up all the confusion. I'm a hardcore gamer and i couldnt even tell you how this thing is going to work right now.

The message is out there and they need to spend some money on marketing to fix it.

Jimmy Fallon must have been the final straw.

(crowd cheers and applauds) :eek:

Yep so much damage has been done. I wonder what this is going to cost them in $$$. x180 is def back in the race... lol

Wow, I'm very surprised MS took this action. That's not like them. But I feel it was the best move for the platform going forward. They really took the worst beating I've seen in the court of public opinion. Personally I didn't have a problem with their choices, but a lot of folks did. I loved the Family Share plan. I'll be sorry to see it gone. My biggest problems with the platform was price & lack of backward compatibility. So I'm still going to have issues with that going forward & I'll still have to wait for a price drop before I buy it. But DRM & used gaming was never an issue for me. Hopefully this will turn things around & will help them keep from hemorrhaging any more. Can we now quit talking about that crap & talk about something else, PLEASE? LOL

Tommy McClain

I'm quite disappointed that sharing of downloaded games is out, and discs can't be done away with once they're installed. Booo!

I'll be sticking to DD games.
The sharing of games with 10 friends / relatives will be there, although not at launch.

This was my favourite feature of the console. It is revolutionary -brings back the sense of community, sharing, generosity...-, and some companies are copying it already. Non only in the videogames industry in the movies industry.

Steam is going to have its own version of this feature, too.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/0...o-drm-policy-means-we-will-lose-some-features

"There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change," Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live told Kotaku, "One of the things we were very exicted about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course your physical games won’t show up that way. The games you bought digitally will. You’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch

whathifi say Microsoft will backpedal with DRM and 24hrs checks:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/microsoft-to-back-track-on-xbox-one-games-drm-and-always-online

EDIT: Gameinformer too:
I have conflicting voices regarding this.

I was against it at first, then I thought they should go ahead with it no matter what, and I tried to defend those DRM policies 'cos I believed in them at that point.

After many discussions, forum wars, presenting my arguments defending the DRM and stuff I felt slightly worn out.

I gotta admit that after all of that I wanted to cry when I read this news. It was too much, but now I feel relieved to some extent.

Lastly, I 10000% fully agree with ninzel. Xbox One is not the same without Kinect.

So in other words they blatantly lied, made false damaging claims, etc. Where is the FCC when you need them?

Time to remove Kinect and sell it for 249-299$ and we can talk again about a sale for the few exclusives.

P.S. But if they would be really smart they crucify the current management, scratch the XBone nightmare and release a better one with 20nm end next year. They have lost the sales race for 2013/14 anyway with that product and negative PR. The costs to push this mistake into the market will be higher than killing it before it's too late.

Nisaaru, please provide a source for your definitive statements as to the costs and the sales figures from 2013 as well as 2014.

In other words, stop spouting off fiction as if it's fact.

Time to remove Kinect and sell it for 249-299$ and we can talk again about a sale for the few exclusives.

P.S. But if they would be really smart they crucify the current management, scratch the XBone nightmare and release a better one with 20nm end next year. They have lost the sales race for 2013/14 anyway with that product and negative PR. The costs to push this mistake into the market will be higher than killing it before it's too late.
If they remove Kinect all the investment on it and one of the things that makes the console different -sure, architectures are also different, but that's only part of it- would be useless. I love Kinect and the new gameplay possibilities it brings to the table.

A subscription plan sounds much better to me.

If they remove Kinect all the investment on it and one of the things that makes the console different -sure, architectures are also different, but that's only part of it- would be useless. I love Kinect and the new gameplay possibilities it brings to the table.

A subscription plan sounds much better to me.

What's the problem for people like you who want to enjoy the full Kinect experience to get a package deal.

If they take Kinect our of the box it becomes valueless to me. I certainly wouldn't buy one, but I'm glad they put it in the box.

What I really want to see is if there is a place for motion gaming with hard core games, having a camera in the box lets us see if it's limited to casual games, or if there can be real value to more traditional games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back