News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not entirely true, if yields are preventing MS from launching with little actual product, that's a pretty big damm issue for them. Besides that, we don't know how the contract is setup for MS, it could be on a wafer basis at which point MS is liable for yields. Dave never actually confirmed anything, he just challenged the notion that it must be MS who is at risk for poor yields.

I thought Global Founderies did all the manufacturing now, not AMD? In any case it's likely somewhat split between the manufacturer and the client. Any issues (if they actually exist) affect both of them. MS would simply have the call on how to deal with the issues, especially if it was something related to their custom design. Bottom line, until there's some kind of official confirmation, as far as we know there are no problems.

whathifi say Microsoft will backpedal with DRM and 24hrs checks:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/microsoft-to-back-track-on-xbox-one-games-drm-and-always-online

EDIT: Gameinformer too:

Report: Microsoft To Drop Used Game Restrictions, Online Requirements

In what might be the most dramatic reversal in the gaming industry, Microsoft is reportedly changing course on many of the concerns related to the Xbox One. These include a 180 degree shift on used games and online requirements.

According to a report published on Giant Bomb, Microsoft will be dropping the 24-hour license renewal "check ins" we were told the system requires. Additionally, retail discs will be handled identically to what we experience now on the Xbox 360. This includes trading in and loaning to friends. An internet connection will only be required when setting up the console, and region locks will be disabled.

This news follows our interview with Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer, who assured us that Microsoft is listening to community feedback. We've reached out to the company for comment.

Interesting, but all I've seen so far is Giant Bomb reporting this with no source and everyone quoting them.

Interesting, but all I've seen so far is Giant Bomb reporting this with no source and everyone quoting them.

From Patrick (GiantBomb) twitter:

I do not publish stuff I am not confident in. Yes, it is sourced anonymously, but I vet vigorously. You can thank @stephentotilo for that.

EDIT: It looks like it is real:

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate — please check here for the latest.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Last edited by a moderator:
The changes:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

I think it is very clear the xb one is on the verge of being a total flop...it might be too late of a move to salvage the platform.

I doubt it by the launch it will mostly be forgotten. Other then an example of consumers making a change and the stupid things marketing said in it's defense. In fact it has the potential to be seen as Something similiar to the 3DS ambassadors program and subsenquent announcements via Nintendo if theygo on to be wildly successful.

Had to be done before the jumping ship to PS4 reached critical mass. Only takes so many people in social circle before they all go...

So it's true? Hmm, I wonder what changed their minds? Jimmy Falon maybe? There was a reaction during the PS4 presentation when it was brought up, so it might be a case of MS realizing it had reached way farther than just snippy forum posters...

There were military publications coming out of the woodwork as well, recently. That's kind of a tough PR hit in the USA, although hard for a Japanese corporation to really harp on.

Should we be looking forward to MS announcing a SKU that doesn't include Kinect and that's $100 cheaper?
mvgame.png

Should we be looking forward to MS announcing a SKU that doesn't include Kinect and that's $100 cheaper?
mvgame.png

It would look even worse for MS. How can they charge the same Sony asks for the PS4, given the more than 33% graphics performance disparity? Today, they try to justify the $100 premium at the "new experiences made possible by kinect2", and they are being backlashed because of that. Without the Kinect, they would have to price the Xbone below the PS4 to compete.

My guess would be that they have seen some pre-order data that has really upset them, they lost their nerve and back peddled like crazy.

I also think that given the amount of time and effort required to build this into the hardware and software, that they won't have given up on it. It will still be there, ready to be switched back on when they have some traction with a user base that's already locked in.

At least this way they might, if they are lucky, get some launch day parity with Sony.

Nah keep Kinect. It's nice to have some difference between the systems. Last gen it felt like it came down to two platforms competing at being better at being the same. If that makes any sense.

I'm quite disappointed that sharing of downloaded games is out, and discs can't be done away with once they're installed. Booo!

I'll be sticking to DD games.

It going to be interesting seeing how they market this going forward. A bunch of the cool new features now are broken. Like having games running in the background while waiting for an online match in another game. The fast switching between games is also broken. And the "cloud" non sense... Going to be fun to watch....

They announce this less than 2 weeks ago and now they have redesign the OS pretty much. Crazy they couldnt see this coming. Now they are going to have to spend a bunch of money on marketing to correct the message because the damage has already been done.

Seem the xbone is going to be in limited supply compare the ps4 since gamestop is already sold out even with a lot less preorders. So even if they change some people minds there will be nothing to buy.

I wouldnt be shock if a lot of people at xbone lose their job going this.

The absence of Kinect at their e3 press conference tells you how reactionary they are.

They should've stuck to their plans, and made them clear for everyone.

I'm quite disappointed that sharing of downloaded games is out, and discs can't be done away with once they're installed. Booo!

I'll be sticking to DD games.

Same here...was really looking forward to the digital game sharing feature, most of my friends were excited about that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back