News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the sun which doesn't really count as a newspaper...

Otherwise, I'd expect to see 'positive' PR articles start to appear in that paper.

[the sun is owned by news corporation which also owns Sky. Sky are reportedly in talks to sell xbox1s as some form of Sky TV interface thing]
It's not positive pr though even though that's how they've tried to dress it

From all the policies MS announced, privacy is the least of my concern. I can't believe people think that MS is going to spy in you though Kinect. If, a big if, they do that, people will find out in no time trough Terms of Service of the Xbox One. You simply can't hide something like that. Again, if MS secretly spy on people and someone finds out, at least the EU will fuck them so hard in the ass that MS's offsprings will be born with ass pain.

They are changing the business model. ;) Changing it to one where there's income from used sales

No-one's forced to buy anything they offer, so no-one is paying for their stupid business decisions except the companies. They will try different strategies. If they don't work, they'll try others. This gen they tried 2nd hand revenue generation through the introduction of a fee to play online. At the moment they are lokoing to try something new regards 2nd sales revenues. If that doesn't work and the market responds by giving them less money, they'll change strategy again. That's free market economics for you.

The ethics of copyright and 2nd hand sales control belong in another thread. I'm sick of saying this over and over every time the mention of second hand controls are raised, and I'll start administering heavy-handed injustice against people rights as posters if I catch more political and ethical discussion here. Whether you think it's immoral or not is immaterial to this discussion in this forum. The business outcomes are relevant, whether you like it personally or not is relevant, and whether consumers shy away from it or not is relevant, but one's rights as a consumer is a whole other debate that doesn't belong here.

Why did you single me out in this conversation? I didn't start it. I was just reading the thread when another poster brought up something and I added my 2 cents.

Why did you single me out in this conversation? I didn't start it. I was just reading the thread when another poster brought up something and I added my 2 cents.
You weren't singled out. I quoted two of you, as just the latest in a long line of socio-econo-polical discussions that don't belong here. Nothing personal - just loud. ;)

Well, things are certainly getting interesting now:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=62171587

Brad Grenz said:
Everyone's favorite Polygon employee said on Rebel FM this week that he has also heard the downclocking rumors from a source. According to him the reason was actually the longevity of the product. At the original projected clockspeed they were projecting an Xbox One would last for 3 years before the hardware fails, on average. Reducing the clock speed would supposedly increase that to 5 years.

Arthur Gies said:
@CortanaCrave69 @blasterman1 slower chip means less heat. Less heat means longer life.
https://mobile.twitter.com/aegies/status/343447506409095168

So we have the first big outlet corroborating the downclock rumours.

Sounds fishy to me. ICs last pretty long unless they get HELLA hot and with that huge fansink shown, I wouldn't think that would happen. I would assume this is BS, someone trying to respin that whole RRoD fiasco from years ago. Manufacturing techniques have improved since then, I'm fairly confident we won't see mass scale hardware death in just a few years' time in next gen.

Every time I come into this thread

861f60b8_implied-facepalm.jpg

You guys are gonna ruin my nice smooth face.

What's the point of putting pressure on Microsoft now that they explained how it works?
Does anyone still thinks there's a possibility they'll backtrack?

If I understand correctly that they haven't implemented a robust disc-level copy protection and never intended to have one, and never had a Plan B, it's probably way too late now, even if they wanted it.

Microsoft ended up adding the start button back into Windows ;) ... Anything is possible!

A possible downclock of the rumored and widely believed 800MHZ GPU core clockspeed isn't true and is not happening. That's what I firmly believe based on what I've heard directly (not secondhand or thirdhand) from what I would classify as a most reliable possible source.

I don't pretend to question what anyone else has heard, or who they've heard it from, but if it were even remotely possible for me to just come out and say which source I'm referencing and have that person directly back up what I'm saying, I'm willing to bet many, many more people would believe firmly that a downclock isn't true.

Short of the lead engineer or set of engineers on the Xbox One, of which this person may have played an influential role in possibly advising -- although I can't say that for certain -- there is nobody else I would put greater faith in when it comes to this specific topic.

Things is that they could have easily gone with a hybrid mode, and just required that you insert you disk once in each 15-30 days. They could even implemented both methods if it was meant to be as user friendly as possible and still do not let the same disc making multiple permanent installs.

This really means that they want to control you, not your copy!

And/Or that if someone use your copy to go to the Internet it would uninstall it from your system next time you log in.

Yeah, 15-30 days is really unrealistic. You could hand it out for several people to play and finish in that time. I would say 48 hours max and I know people are not happy with even that.

I don't think it's about control really for Microsoft at least, I think it's about the Publishers.
I don't really care personally, because my consoles stay under my TV and I have hardly no time in which I lose my Internet connection.

I live in Ukiah dude, that is out in the middle of nowhere. I am only here because my wife and her family is here and would leave as soon as I could to get out. This town is basically a truck stop for truckers, it's four exits off a freeway and even I can get full access to a 20 Megabit connection in this mobile home from 1972. The biggest thing in this town is Walmart and Kohls.

This is Wine country and very few actual jobs, but my point is that I can even get a quality high speed Internet connection with Comcast and rarely have any outages in the full on sticks.

If I can get a decent connection here, then 95 percent of the nation can. If you go north from here like 30 miles you won't get much, but then again you won't have anything but the very basics like the cowboy days anyway. You live in remote places like in the mountains where the population is 10 people, you get what you get.

I think what's more likely to be happening is that people are hearing about some manufacturing issues, or at least manufacturing issues that were once more severe than they are currently, and based on what they are hearing, are instantly jumping to the conclusion that the best way to fix these issues is to downclock the GPU.

And, just like that, you have yourselves a full blown rumor not really based on what may really be happening, or anything that may necessarily need to happen, but based on what someone thinks may be the best solution to the problems they've heard about.

Has _anything_ Arthur Gies said been true? (Other than the same stuff he could have gotten from VGLeaks) From his track record, it appears if he has said it, it's almost certainly not true.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Didn't he suggest that there was much more to the Xbox One's hardware specs than what vgleaks were suggesting? Implying that details were missing on multiple aspects? I find it funny how easily a rumor can get started from out of nowhere. If it's negative, and it's about Xbox One, you can be almost guaranteed that it's going to take off, which seems kind of silly, but it's hard not to observe as much.

If we were talking about a GPU clock increase instead, it would have been strangled in the crib before it ever had a chance to say its first word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back