News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple fact: at some point, making a console that won't have Internet access is idiotic. The question is whether that is today, tomorrow, 5 years or 2 decades from now.

Everyone knows of the howling that came from the first Xbox only supporting broadband. We all know how that turned out.

That not the same thing. I could still play offline games, completely offline during that time.

No he didn't he responded to the esram question and didnt respond to the question after about the down clock.

Here are the quotes I am referencing:
1) Crazy Butt Train
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

2) Major Nelson

(responding to question about rumor on GAF)

Definitely not true, I cant respond to every unsourced online rumor. but this is false.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rumor I think Major Nelson is responding to is the down clock. So again they both can be technically correct. There could be yield issues but the rumor of a down clock could be false.

Got to love the children on GAF. Keep it classy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61829090&postcount=3185

P.S. mysteriousmage09, grow up.

--------
ON topic:

These policies are hurting me, because I want to play Forza 5 whenever I want to. I just can't deal with it.

Draconian DRM does not gel with me.

I never liked the Moderators over at GAF, they are far too one sided. A few of them should not even be mods and it shows.

I don't see a problem with DRM, it's the future of the entire gaming industry. It's on Steam, it's going to be on anything that is downloadable so that means PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, iTunes, and even on Nintendo's own network with their downloadable games as well as the old Nintendo classics.

Game prices need to go down and this can help that happen.

It doesn't matter if you have a disk or not. There are no rentals or used games for PC games anymore. This isn't the days of MSDOS.

If Sony doesn't do it with the PS4 at launch, they will need to follow eventually. Maybe with their Gaikai service.

People are not being realistic, they can set up Facebook campaigns and get organize and try to pass around the info on Twitter as well, but it's all for nothing.

Developers are losing money and closing and in a business like this that is so different than anything else out there it's really needed.

Yep. Shills (Employees) and the most vocal hardcore Xbox fans.

I'm surprised statham and Derfeef isn't posting.

Dopeyfish was banned too.

Not all of them are shills. GAF is against anti consumer practices so Bish is cleaning house.
Man, that sounds like some sweeeeet mod action. I wanna get me down and get a piece of that shit! I've a couple of new Obermeier VM50 banhammers (effin sur-weeeeeeeeet! These are the 2013 update to the 2010 Obermeier VM45's that rocked the effin moderator charts three years, man, and I got the first effin pair in the world!!!
war_hammer_by_lederherr-d2zr5s0.jpg
) just raring to go. Tempted to take out a few noobs here just to break them in. GAF's sounding so tasty at the mo'. Need to sign up and lay the smack down.

Al cried like a baby when he heard I'd landed this pair. Ha ha! In your effin FACE AlWeak!

If cboat is a developer the only thing he would be told is a downclock.
If he works for a foundry or knows someone who does then he would know yields.

The 24 hour may have been a change from 7 minute. That was the way it was reported before the bad PR MS got from twitter blow up.

Really all of this doesnt seem to be that big of a deal to me. The only thing that would affect me would be buying older games. I just brought simpson for the x360 and with this system in place I would not have worked. Buying older games its hard to find new any more. I sure gamestop and amazon would be part of the "use system" so this also may be moot.

A lot of this would be over looked if they go with more of a steam sale pricing. No one cares about the DRM on steam because they have such good sales. I not sure how MS could do this while protecting their retail partners.

If this is going to be the way all games just start working across next gen console. It was a terrible move by MS to lead the way. I really do not understand the way they are marketing this console.

It would take you half the day to DL a 25+ GB game. Redbox is quick and easy.

If you have Bit Torrent, lots of seeds and a decent Internet connection then 25 Gigs isn't too much at all. Not as fast as going to Redbox of course, but still. Microsoft was supposed to use Bit Torrent for downloads the last I heard.

Shifty I've heard great things of Mjölnir banhammers as well.
If you get one you could change you title form "uber-Troll" to "Mod of thunder" ;)

Man, that sounds like some sweeeeet mod action. I wanna get me down and get a piece of that shit! I've a couple of new Obermeier VM50 banhammers (effin sur-weeeeeeeeet! These are the 2013 update to the 2010 Obermeier VM45's that rocked the effin moderator charts three years, man, and I got the first effin pair in the world!!!
war_hammer_by_lederherr-d2zr5s0.jpg
) just raring to go. Tempted to take out a few noobs here just to break them in. GAF's sounding so tasty at the mo'. Need to sign up and lay the smack down.

Al cried like a baby when he heard I'd landed this pair. Ha ha! In your effin FACE AlWeak!

lol Fun times ahead.

Well, I guess maybe he thought he was confirming the downclock. This all came up when Thruway said he heard the downclock was bringing the system down to 8-900 GFlops. Proleriate said he heard the same thing. BruceLeeRoy said he heard what Thruway heard, and GopherD agreed with BLR. Plus Matt drove by to say "It's true!" and CBOAT swooped in to say the chip was a nightmare. But by that time the discussion had been partitioned off into a "Xbox One ESRAM yields suck" thread, so a lot of people started splitting hairs about who was confirming what. But the chain of events could easily be read as everyone confirming Thruway's original claim that they were going to have to reduce the clock speed.

If the downclock was true then Microsoft would have had to have told the developers well before this whole thing came out.

If developers knew about this, then most of the major gaming outlets would have been able to confirm the downclock from their sources and would have reported it as that would have been a major news story guaranteed to generate massive amounts of revenue generating hits.

The fact that not a single major gaming outlet has confirmed this means it is highly unlikely to be true because none of the developers know about a downclock.

Regards,
SB

Well, I guess maybe he thought he was confirming the downclock. This all came up when Thruway said he heard the downclock was bringing the system down to 8-900 GFlops. Proleriate said he heard the same thing. BruceLeeRoy said he heard what Thruway heard, and GopherD agreed with BLR. Plus Matt drove by to say "It's true!" and CBOAT swooped in to say the chip was a nightmare. But by that time the discussion had been partitioned off into a "Xbox One ESRAM yields suck" thread, so a lot of people started splitting hairs about who was confirming what. But the chain of events could easily be read as everyone confirming Thruway's original claim that they were going to have to reduce the clock speed.
All we know for sure is that the chip is big. We got a high res photo of the naked die and we reached consensus that it's in the 380-420mm2 range. If I was to design a chip that complex for mass production, I'd make sure it would have lot of redundancies; unfortunately, this has the side effect of making the die area go up even further.

For example, the chip may have 32MB of SRAM usable but who knows how many more building blocks it has fused out to make sure that at least 32MB pass the testing phase? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 20% redundancy for this component (meaning that the chip has 40MB in total). All these 'wasted' transistors (which are not wasted at all, since they ensure that a single defect won't make the whole chip a dud) are still there and take up some die space!

I can think of two problems correlated to die size and that can be solved by a modest downclock: the first is signal propagation, but that should have been taken into account already during design phase. The other one is mechanical stress due to heat built up in some regions of the chip (usually where the core logic is located because that's where the transistors get switched on/off more often); this problem becomes more severe as the die size increase and can lead, in some extreme cases, to some microscopic 'cracks' in the crystal structure that kill the chip outright. This is a bit more difficult to foresee during the design stage because heat dissipation is also dependent on the environmental conditions.

All of this to say that yields could still be fine (or, at least, within the projected/foreseen figures) and yet the chip might have received a slight undervolt/underclock to ensure better reliability. I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft being very sensible about this problem, especially after the whole RROD fiasco which originated, in the first place, from an overheating chip!

All the drama and comedy that followed is just the typical byproduct of the mass hysteria that precedes a very anticipated event such, as Microsoft E3 conference.

Larry Hryb (Major Nelson) is not an idiot. If there was a downgrade in GPU specs he would have said something like; "We don't respond to rumors..." He knows what the subject was about and what the rumor was and made it pretty clear that was false.

Now, you can say that he is PR, and all of that but that was pretty clear. Microsoft may have not been clear with their wording at their conference, but that was pretty clear and straight forward.

Here are the quotes I am referencing:
1) Crazy Butt Train
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

2) Major Nelson

(responding to question about rumor on GAF)

Definitely not true, I cant respond to every unsourced online rumor. but this is false.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rumor I think Major Nelson is responding to is the down clock. So again they both can be technically correct. There could be yield issues but the rumor of a down clock could be false.

Look at major Nelsons twitter he was aaked about esram and responded to that. Cbot never mentioned down clock anyway only rhe esram issue.

The Major Nelson tweet is ambiguous as the specifics of the ESRAM rumour were not clarified. Scott Dyer tweeted "the ESRAM issue" without being clear what ESRAM issue - production issues? Downclocks? So the rumour being debunked doesn't help much when we don't know what rumour that was specifically. One can make the sound assumption that it was the downclock rumour, but it's still too early to call absolutely.

We arent your right he said the esram issue was false as thats what he was asked about. I guess people want the downclock to be false more than the yield issue so are trying to throw it in there instead.

Its not ambiguous in anyway he was asked a question and he answered it.

Please move this into the rumours thread sometimes it easy to forget what thread you are in using tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to the rumors

What if all the info are correct, microsoft was expecting to release the console at let's say 2GHz/1GHz cpu/gpu, and due to yeld problem they add to reduce to the actual frequencies?
All this can be happened ten months ago, so developer got the right info, developed on the right hardware, and the rumors that we are hearing are true but simply old

MSFT has a bad day in the gaming media if I go by Eurogamer and Kotaku, titles like "MSFT kills game ownership and expect us to smile" or "Xbobx One just had a very bad day" backed with a picture of a Xbobe in flames... MSFT is managing to pull a PR disaster, it is out of control...
FUD is spreading, they are not clear and have let people in the dark since the reveal event on pretty critical choices they made, they did nothing before that when negativity was growing, etc.

Imho it is amazing to get it that wrong. At this point whoever that doesn't follow the gaming news that asks a friend about the next Xbox is likely to receive a pretty underwhelming answer about the state of the whole affair. Disastrous PR... They already have an uphill battle to overcome the negativity that build... before launch... No matter the merits of the design, their online policies and how they are legitimate or not at this point in History, or people being... well people over-reacting,etc. The way they managed it has been so far dreadful, to the point that Sony PR are mostly silent and I guess laughing their asses off while eating pop corns...

Last edited by a moderator:
Imho it is amazing to get it that wrong. At this point whoever that doesn't follow the gaming news that asks a friend about the next Xbox is likely to receive a pretty underwhelming answer on the state of the whole affair.

I want to add that they screwed an important event that acts as word of mouth. They didnt straighten their priorities. Yes they say, we are going to show games at E3. So what?
The initial revelation of the new console is the most important.
You want to get the gamer to talk about it.And you give reasons to talk about it. Past console revelations were getting people hyped

Well they didnt show what these people are interested in. What is there to talk about? TV? Or the things that go against what these consumers want such as DRM, mandatory Kinect, mandatory online and other things that these people get turned off by and MS is avoiding to give clarifications?

They wanted to get the untapped market to talk about it. They failed there too. Some tech sides may present the XBone like an awesome device to accommodate the living room.
But is it enough to make the TV or tech guy talk about it like the console consumer used to talk about when a new console was revealed? No. It didnt have that impact on them either.

Now we wait for E3,

MSFT has a bad day in the gaming media if I go by Eurogamer and Kotaku, titles like "MSFT kills game ownership and expect us to smile" or "Xbobx One just had a very bad day" backed with a picture of a Xbobe in flames... MSFT is managing to pull a PR disaster, it is out of control...
FUD is spreading, they are not clear and have let people in the dark since the reveal event on pretty critical choices they made, they did nothing before that when negativity was growing, etc.

Imho it is amazing to get it that wrong. At this point whoever that doesn't follow the gaming news that asks a friend about the next Xbox is likely to receive a pretty underwhelming answer on the state of the whole affair. Disastrous PR... They already have an uphill battle to overcome the negativity that build... before launch... No matter the merits of the design, their online policies and how they are legitimate or not at this point in History, or people being... well people over-reacting,etc. The way they manage it has been so far dreadful, to the point that Sony PR are mostly silent and I guess laughing their asses off while eating pop corns...

But it's not just the gaming media now, it's starting to spread to regular media channels. I think that MS doesn't give a sh!t about what the gaming media say (especially after the reveal reception) but they are going to get very involved in the main stream media. They need to keep the attention of Joe Normal and his family who are more likely to be attracted to a new bit of media kit than they are a gaming box. If those people start to hear ugly rumours about invasions of privacy, loss of consumer rights, dodgy hardware etc then the 400 million users dream falls very flat, very fast.

My guess is that MS will now do anything to prevent the competition from getting any positive limelight in the mainstream media. As far as the gaming media goes, that battle is lost but the real war is yet to be fought.

I would also hazard a guess that they will be willing to give up the early lead as long as they can buy into a later expansion, probably with a new piece of kit much earlier on in the cycle. But I wonder if they will drop the Xbone as fast as they dropped the Xbox?

The initial revelation of the new console is the most important.
You want to get the gamer to talk about it. And you give reasons to talk about it. Past console revelations were getting people hyped
They imo succeed here people are speaking a freaking lot about it, I guess it has something to do with unintended consequences... :LOL:

The Major Nelson tweet is ambiguous as the specifics of the ESRAM rumour were not clarified. Scott Dyer tweeted "the ESRAM issue" without being clear what ESRAM issue - production issues? Downclocks? So the rumour being debunked doesn't help much when we don't know what rumour that was specifically. One can make the sound assumption that it was the downclock rumour, but it's still too early to call absolutely.

He responded to two tweets, the esram one and the downclock one I posted. Both were the same response "...this is false."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back