News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I've been in touch with my contacts, and it turns out the downclock is true but not quite because of what people are thinking. It's not due to problems so much as a choice. Yields weren't great but enough for a decent launch. However, MS realised they didn't need so much power because
of the POWER OF THE CLOUD!!!!
:devilish:
:runaway:

the fact cboat didn't confirm the downclock on gaf...

more or less makes it likely he didnt confirm it off gaf...because he probably said something similar to what he said on gaf in some irc channel, and they quickly ran with it.

throws the whole thing into question again imo. it's back to "thuway said"

and bruceleeeroy is said to only have sony contacts.

matt was ambigous as well. we have no confirmation from legit insiders.
:lol

the fact cboat didn't confirm the downclock on gaf...

more or less makes it likely he didnt confirm it off gaf...because he probably said something similar to what he said on gaf in some irc channel, and they quickly ran with it.

throws the whole thing into question again imo. it's back to "thuway said"

and bruceleeeroy is said to only have sony contacts.

matt was ambigous as well. we have no confirmation from legit insiders.

Who would have thought 30 days ago that MS fans would actually be BEGGING for a 1.2TF GPU. What a brilliant fake downclock leak by MS. ;)

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61401157&postcount=1

This doesn't look good they are canceling the post E3 media roundtable..

umm, relating this to the downclock is just funny. they have ZERO to do with each other.

hell most people probably think theyre running from drm question.

Okay, I've been in touch with my contacts, and it turns out the downclock is true but not quite because of what people are thinking. It's not due to problems so much as a choice. Yields weren't great but enough for a decent launch. However, MS realised they didn't need so much power because

not sure if serious?

I don't like this post because I can't tell if the sarcasm applies to the whole thing or just half of it.

Nuhuh. I'm blaming the cloud. Microsoft screwed itself by promising cloud resource allocations based on a multiple of the console's resources. The bean counters went back and realized that a strong console means the aggregate demand was unexpectedly unprofitable. They cut the base unit to save face. Expect the console to shrink its core count and RAM amount to save Azure from a gamepocolypse. :runaway:
XboxOne, I am dissappoint.

Nuhuh. I'm blaming the cloud. Microsoft screwed itself by promising cloud resource allocations based on a multiple of the console's resources. The bean counters went back and realized that a strong console means the aggregate demand was unexpectedly unprofitable. They cut the base unit to save face. Expect the console to shrink its core count and RAM amount to save Azure from a gamepocolypse. :runaway:
XboxOne, I am dissappoint.

It would be kind of funny if after 2-3 years MS slipping badly, turns to a Onlive like cloud solution through XB1. Refined even more of course.

And then PS4's 1.8 TF's rendered quaint and inadequate, if not irrelevant.

I could see it happening. I'm not in favor of it because traditional console>cloud. And there's probably no walking back that step. Once you go cloud there's no reason for a traditional console again.

Werent there strong rumours about MS going with IBM CPU? Then suddenly rumours about AMD. Looks like they went to AMD at the last possible minute

I'm not sure if anyone has said it or if nobody is saying it but I'm going to.

I blame Nintendo!!

I think MS got caught thinking Sony was going to do the same thing Nintendo did again with the WiiU and decide to not put so much effort into the actual hardware of the machine but focus more on a gimmick/accessory to garner up buzz about the console. I disliked the Wii for what it stood for when it was first introduced and I dislike it more now after the ramifications are being felt with Xbox One.

Furthermore I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on many things but I fail to see how the "cloud" could only be done for the Xbox One. What is stopping Sony from using it too? Wasn't it the original idea of the PS3 to use some form of cloud computing and demonstrated daisy-chaining two PS3's together? It's been a long time and I don't really feel like digging up old interviews but I thought good ol' Ken K had a vision about interconnecting the Playstation across the network to enhance its capabilities.

Nintendo threw a monkey wrench into the console scene that I think we will still feel for another generation after the PS4/XboxOne. My biggest concern is that the PS4 is all but finalized....but hasn't been shown yet. I'm just hoping that Sony doesn't fall victim to the "lower clock speeds" and decide at the last minute that they can do the same. We need a powerful machine to show MS and Nintendo that the consumers never wanted an underpowered console no matter what the initial sales might have looked like.

Worse part is I'm not even sure I'm going to get the next gen consoles, I haven't had the money nor free time to play much this gen yet I still feel as though I'm being cheated..lol

I blame Nintendo!!

I think MS got caught thinking Sony was going to do the same thing Nintendo did again with the WiiU and decide to not put so much effort into the actual hardware of the machine but focus more on a gimmick/accessory to garner up buzz about the console. I disliked the Wii for what it stood for when it was first introduced and I dislike it more now after the ramifications are being felt with Xbox One.

Furthermore I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on many things but I fail to see how the "cloud" could only be done for the Xbox One. What is stopping Sony from using it too? Wasn't it the original idea of the PS3 to use some form of cloud computing and demonstrated daisy-chaining two PS3's together? It's been a long time and I don't really feel like digging up old interviews but I thought good ol' Ken K had a vision about interconnecting the Playstation across the network to enhance its capabilities.

Nintendo threw a monkey wrench into the console scene that I think we will still feel for another generation after the PS4/XboxOne. My biggest concern is that the PS4 is all but finalized....but hasn't been shown yet. I'm just hoping that Sony doesn't fall victim to the "lower clock speeds" and decide at the last minute that they can do the same. We need a powerful machine to show MS and Nintendo that the consumers never wanted an underpowered console no matter what the initial sales might have looked like.

Worse part is I'm not even sure I'm going to get the next gen consoles, I haven't had the money nor free time to play much this gen yet I still feel as though I'm being cheated..lol

Because if Sony does it they will be caught copying again... duh!

As somebody else has said in this thread (and I've said before myself), at this point, I think it might be wise for MS to scrap the xbone APU and source off the shelf components.

Yes, they won't have magical bandwidth between the gpu and cpu, but they could still have gpgpu functionality by going with say a Trinity apu (with integrated gpu) and pair it with a pitcairn or at the bare minimum, a cape verde. They would get much better yields with 2 separate chips and it's not like they don't have room in the box.

If they want to take a full year, they could target 22nm and up the spec to give gamers a reason to wait (if they choose).

At this point though, I'm not seeing a real positive motivation for sticking with the xbone apu. It's large, underwhelming in performance, apparently doesn't yield well, and doesn't clock well either. It's a loser all the way around. :???:

I blame Nintendo!!

No Wii = no kinect.
No kinect = higher BOM and more resources for gaming.
No Wii = no casual focus from MS.

Wii is the worst thing that happen to hardcore Xbox gaming.

Btw, MS expected Sony to put out a powerhouse console. What's happening right now is on par for the course.

If I had the time I'd do a kickstarter for a causal called system warz were you choose to start working in Japan or USA. The end of level bosses would be named after famous internet trolls and their special powers would be things like exclusive DLC or price drops or money hat reviews or face offs. Bonus rooms for points would be forum face offs with rumors and leaks.

Anybody want to help with that?

Whoah! This thread has lit up, I havmt got tike to read all the posts, would someone be able to fill me in what all this down clocking is all about?? Doesn't sound great.

I tried to tell you guys before:

MS created an underpowered all-in-one cable box.

Sony created an adequately-powered games box with multimedia functionality (philosophically similar to the X360/PS3 generation--or a natural extension of it, rather).

Fanboys did not want to listen. It comes down to a difference in business philosophy between the 2 companies. Naturally, I think core players should gravitate to PS4 and, perhaps, casuals should gravitate to XB1. Or maybe, most will just gravitate to PS4--so long as the content is there.

If you strike Xbone clocks down now the cloud will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back