News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Services generally are hard to quantify other than the bill. Am I really getting my $350/hr value out of lawyers? I often don't think so, but I still use them... Service providers always have these allegations thrown against them.

However, you may be cynical or you be right on the money. There is no doubt that cloud services seem to be the direction the world is heading as when it is fully realised, there are many benefits. With Sony's interest in Gaikai, I suspect they feel it's worth quite a bit too.

My point is that if all console manufacturers are going down this path, in a few years, no one is going to be too fussed about 12 or 14 or 18 CUs.

Fibre is rolling out around the world, much as ADSL was starting to roll out at the turn of the century. Once fibre is ubiquitous, the practicality of cloud compute services improves dramatically. This may not happen this gen (or it might). When it does happen however, you probably won't want to be waiting for the next generation of consoles to be catching up.

We are in agreement regarding the advantages of cloud services, the cynical part is due my belief it will be used as justification of monthly fees which will more than likely not be proportional to the computational 'upgrades' that necessitated said fees... Not to mention the ability to move the goal post regarding specs.

apparently not standard jag

Stock Jaguar => 2 instructions, 4 ops.
Xbox One CPU => 3 instructions, 6 ops?

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=183829&postcount=993

ok after discussing on twitter seems standard jag is...

load , store, 2 int , 2 fp = 6 ops

So sounds like its also stock jag ... (seems some people don't count load/store hence confusion in thinking standard jag is 4 ops)..

BTW seems like VGLeaks has all this mentioned too

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-cpu-overview/

However, this is emphatically not true, for the reasons described in the following sections.
Sub-ISA Parallelism and Micro-Operations

Like most recent high-performance x64 processors, the cores do not execute the x64 instruction set natively; instead, internally instructions are decoded into micro-operations, which the processor executes. This translation provides opportunities to parallelize beyond traditional superscalar execution.
Durango CPU cores have dual x64 instruction decoders, so they can decode two instructions per cycle. On average, an x86 instruction is converted to 1.7 micro-operations, and many common x64 instructions are converted to 1 micro-operation. In the right conditions, the processor can simultaneously issue six micro-operations: a load, a store, two ALU, and two vector floating point. The core has corresponding pipelines: two identical 64-bit ALU pipelines, two 128-bit vector float pipelines (one with float multiply, one with float add), one load pipeline, and one store pipeline. A core can retire 2 micro-operations a cycle.

We are in agreement regarding the advantages of cloud services, the cynical part is due my belief it will be used as justification of monthly fees which will more than likely not be proportional to the computational 'upgrades' that necessitated said fees... Not to mention the ability to move the goal post regarding specs.

Who knows. That certainly isn't what this reveal is about. Remember the 360 MTV reveal? This is simply a branding exercise, at this stage, to get clear of the noise of E3.

Im still taking it in. I wouldn't get too worked up one way or another. The 360 coming out, and first e3 were considered such disasters people were calling 360 a very underpowered with half baked software.

I sort of like the bulky blu ray player design. Was not expecting that. Very clunky event compared to Sony's. if price agggressively and they get devs to take advantage of integration, they will sell a ton.

Im still taking it in. I wouldn't get too worked up one way or another. The 360 coming out, and first e3 were considered such disasters people were calling 360 a very underpowered with half baked software.

I sort of like the bulky blu ray player design. Was not expecting that. Very clunky event compared to Sony's. if price agggressively and they get devs to take advantage of integration, they will sell a ton.
I think they are banking on the devs for this one to drive the core gamer and relying on the extra stuff to draw in casuals as well. I do think if they play their cards right, it could do well but so far they have had very bad press management and information control/delivery.

Which is what I've been saying for ages...

But wow, used game blocking is in, that's worse than an always online console for me.

Hope Sony doesn't get any ideas to do the same now.

Yes!....but will there be some kind of limit like on X360?

But do are you still limited to FAT32 (and 4GB files) for formatting?

News:

This article says how the Xbox One is a Trojan horse.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-inside-the-belly-of-a-trojan-horse

(this is a similar article mentioning the *masterplan* of the console)

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2013/5/22/technology/microsoft’s-xbox-one-masterplan

Finally, Phil Spencer said that Xbone games price is up to the publishers. :oops:

Microsoft aren't going to price the games in any case, except for 1st party titles -it's the first time I hear of this tbh- :) :

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353888/xbox-one-game-pricing-up-to-publishers-phil-spencer

News:

This article says how the Xbox One is a Trojan horse.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-inside-the-belly-of-a-trojan-horse

(this is a similar article mentioning the *masterplan* of the console)

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2013/5/22/technology/microsoft’s-xbox-one-masterplan

Finally, Phil Spencer said that Xbone games price is up to the publishers. :oops:

Microsoft aren't going to price the games in any case, except for 1st party titles -it's the first time I hear of this tbh- :) :

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353888/xbox-one-game-pricing-up-to-publishers-phil-spencer
Wow this is big, this will help small developers make their games more accessible.

what i want to know is who's got the nm right. Wired and polygon say the apu is 40nm, last I heard. while engadget says its 28nm. So who got it wrong?

If it's 40nm with 5B transistors that might mean scarcity, high price or even delays.

I'm surprised by the lack of comments here on the new Kinect sensor. It seems a lot of folks here were expecting a cheaply made piece of kit, but it looks like it's a bit more expensive. It's complexity might explain why the system might sell for $400 or more.

Tommy McClain

Could you PM Respawn? Tell him I never meant to mislead anyone. I thought I was sharing genuine information.

Also PM Y2Kev. Tell him it's been fun. Thanks for the good times on GAF.

Hey it's Respawn. I just read what happened to you and I didn't know you were being fed lies. Sorry to hear this man. I apologize also and that's f'd up what happened. GAF rules are tight though bro they dont care who told you just that you posted the stuff :(
Some of us were telling you to stop though.

Which is what I've been saying for ages...

But wow, used game blocking is in, that's worse than an always online console for me.

Hope Sony doesn't get any ideas to do the same now.

But do are you still limited to FAT32 (and 4GB files) for formatting?
As far as I can tell, they're not blocking used games. It looks like there will be a mechanism to deactivate your license. I suspect GameStop will have a system that, given a shiny disc, it will deactivate any installed versions in the wild, restoring the value of the shiny disc. I assume individual users will have this ability too, but that's more iffy. Personally, I would not buy a disc from eBay in future...

It's also almost exactly what I was contemplating before, which is cool, since I had no insider knowledge about how the used game system would work.

Confirmed? Official trailer is pretty badly compressed on youtube so it's hard to tell.

Double check for me.

Hey it's Respawn. I just read what happened to you and I didn't know you were being fed lies. Sorry to hear this man. I apologize also and that's f'd up what happened. GAF rules are tight though bro they dont care who told you just that you posted the stuff :cry:
Some of us were telling you to stop though.

Yeah. Take care.

The worst part is that this PM on GAF was sent to me, without me asking for it. Like it was real. Why would anyone even do something as cruel to someone?

12GB
Cloud like computing service Azure
CPU is different from PS4

All lies.

Not funny. godhandisce. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back