News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newswhuwt.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/
That is reasonable, no doubt they will charge a fee though.

That confirmed yet? I heard, Always Connected a few times in the event.

Anyways, I hope the noise quotient drops after all this. No more Milky Way SoCoC 4.9TF bs.

The system will work in offline mode once you've installed the game. In other words, you have to be online to do the install, but once you're installed you're good to go. Like Steam. I'm pretty sure that was from Wired. I'll have to look it up again to link.

Edit: That's assuming the game is not designed around cloud features or online play.

OTOH, the most powerful machine has never won!

Specs is really somehow a dick-measuring contest.

PS4 seems to be more specialized for gaming whereas Xbox One is more general. One of these has a brighter future than the other...

There are still too many unknowns. MS seems to have lots of games coming and we still dont know the impact or the assistance of the whole cloud computing thing.

Considering the recent Windows8 debacle...the downward trajectory for consummer products is going to continue at Microsoft with Xbox One.

I have lost enthusiasm thats for sure.

Considering the recent Windows8 debacle...the downward trajectory for consummer products is going to continue at Microsoft with Xbox One.

I have lost enthusiasm thats for sure.

Idk, without always online, I think Xbox One is going to be an awesome product.

If you're in love with paper specs, there is always the ps4.

Interesting. That's not how Wired described it. Wired suggests you both get to keep the game, but the second person has to pay a fee.

If it's just one person, that means every game is effectively $35 at launch.
If the borrowing chain can go further, the price approaches $10.

Interesting. That's not how Wired described it. Wired suggests you both get to keep the game, but the second person has to pay a fee.

It could just as easily be both with the Wired scenario being the case of a friend buying the game without having to download it and without additional physical media.

Microsoft has suggested that rumours regarding online authentication are correct. An Xbox spokesperson said on Tuesday: "Xbox One does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet".
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407929/always-online-requirement-is-optional-for-xbox-one-devs/

Translation - You can play your offline game even if your internet breaks down, but you cant install and play new game if you dont have internet connection for authentication check? So, gamers without internet connection who like to play their madden/fifa in peace cant use XBone?

The system will work in offline mode once you've installed the game. In other words, you have to be online to do the install, but once you're installed you're good to go. Like Steam. I'm pretty sure that was from Wired. I'll have to look it up again to link.

Edit: That's assuming the game is not designed around cloud features or online play.

There's has to be some check online check against the game being registered on your profile, though. Otherwise, once someone sold the disc (after registering it to their account), someone buys it used, pays the fee, and the original copy is still active. At this point I'm speculating that if you try to start the game without the disc, it (Live) does an online check against your profile to ensure you're still licensed for it (and that it hasn't been activated elsewhere). I'm also going to speculate that full offline play/install is possible, but will require the disc be in the tray even after install (this would be for people who are not online).

Microsoft has suggested that rumours regarding online authentication are correct. An Xbox spokesperson said on Tuesday: "Xbox One does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet".
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407929/always-online-requirement-is-optional-for-xbox-one-devs/

Translation - You can play your offline game even if your internet breaks down, but you cant install and play new game if you dont have internet connection for authentication check? So, gamers without internet connection who like to play their madden/fifa in peace cant use XBone?

Seems like. I'm not sure how many people there are that don't have wifi and an Internet connection fast enough to validate a disc before install, but I guess those people are out of luck.

Seems fair to pay the fee, that comes out of Gamestops margin anyway. (Ebay aside)

EDIT:Guess not based on next post. Honestly this is what MS gets for not addressing this head on. They knew it was a hot button. I still think a fee is fair though.

I want here the guys that said that cloud computing mixed to console hardware is impossible, that xboxlive switching to cloud computing it's impossible, that to have (more than) 200 GB/s of internal memory is impossible. I want they excuse, now and in public. you "impossible" guys are wrong, and I was right, I have my xbox live cloud, the cloud computing (and not the poor gaikai system), here we have different memory specs, now where are you?

I want here the guys that said that cloud computing mixed to console hardware is impossible, that xboxlive switching to cloud computing it's impossible, that to have (more than) 200 GB/s of internal memory is impossible. I want they excuse, now and in public. you "impossible" guys are wrong, and I was right, I have my xbox live cloud, the cloud computing (and not the poor gaikai system), here we have different memory specs, now where are you?
We have no memory spec changes confirmed, the change could be completely from GPU upclock, or some internal PR accounting. Most of what you said was bull hockey.

If I were them, I'd just make it an option.

Put in a disk that has already been installed on another machine and you get the following options.

1) Purchase your own version of the game. Both users get to keep the game installed. This just treats it as installation media for a new purchase. Price is likely full current retail price or something relatively close to it. Perhaps 5-10 USD cheaper to reflect the lack of additional physical packaging? I'd go with it likely being full retail price, however.

2) Transfer ownership of the game. This would (hopefully) require the current owner to log in and authorize the transfer to avoid abuse (stolen disk for example). Once confirmed the game is activated on the new account and de-activated on the old account. There may or may not be a small fee associated with it (hopefully the majority of which is going to the publisher/developer).

That would make the most sense, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back