News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a few things that are evidence about the rumored big upgrade:

-Greenberg's smiley face on twitter. It really hinted at major changes.

Are you serious!?

-The thread tags, stupid as it is. They say 12GB and 384 bit, and now that's the prevailing rumor? Sure, the rumors could have followed the tags not vice versa, but still.

I blame the mods on those forums for not stopping the madness when they had the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
-The thread tags, stupid as it is. They say 12GB and 384 bit, and now that's the prevailing rumor? Sure, the rumors could have followed the tags not vice versa, but still.

It is extremely [strike]interesting[/strike] entertaining for those who know where the tags came from to see the rumors following the tags. :LOL:

Are you serious!?
I blame the mods on those forums for not stopping the madness when they had the chance.

Now where would the fun in all of that be? Some madness and insanity is exactly what's needed at times. :runaway:

I'll just say that May 21st can't come soon enough especially to see the internet reactions. However good or bad that may be.

You should know well enough that the tags mean fuck all, also we have talked about the 8gb/1.2tf rumour for so freaking long i think it's fine to want to talk about a different rumour, which will get proven/disproven in a few days anyway.

Be thankful we're at least getting better than the HD6670 IGN was claiming.

:???:

Now where would the fun in all of that be? Some madness and insanity is exactly what's needed at times. :runaway:

I'll just say that May 21st can't come soon enough especially to see the internet reactions. However good or bad that may be.

But then MS won't revel Xbox specs and the madness will go on :yep2:

With the next major milestone non-reveal following in 19 days. Who knows when the next non-reveal after E3 possibility will be? :devilish:

Yes. What's the alternative? That they thought Sony would release a sub 1 TF console? They've been looking at seven years from the last gen release. conventional wisdom would place the new consoles at at least 2TF, probably more (that depends on how technology scales which can't be comfortably predicted). It's implausible that MS chose 1.2 TF thinking it'd be competitive, ergo they chose that performance because it hits the price/performance model they were aiming for with their strategy. As we don't know price or services or extras, we cannot compare the platforms in terms of market appeal. You seem to be thinking on the misapprehension that consoles can only ever compete on performance and it's essential to be on top in the specs wars.

this post should be dipped in gold and placed on a pedestal at the entrance to B3d.

I do believe we will get an Apple-esque reveal video for the hardware, showing the effort that went into the design, how cutting-edge the tech is, and why its powerful (something like how esram makes it perform like a system with twice the 'specs',etc).

If not, there's a gametrailers.com post-show interview with Mattrick and developers after the show for one hour, and then another Majornelson twitch.tv show after that. Certainly they'll cover it in detail at that point since it seems like they are saving most of the games related news for E3.

But, I doubt they expected Sony to match on 8GB. They had to know that was an aggressive target. But they likely expected, 2-3 years ago,. PS4 to come in at 4 or even 2GB. So that doesn't jive with your narrative (although in the main I can believe it)

But, the 8GB move from Sony would have just ratcheted pressure to another level, and my theory is pubs may have started pressuring too IE, "bring your box up closer to PS4 or else".

Ahh well, we all have our dug in positions. It's near now.

-Dae talking about old specs on Durango. It would make sense if this comes to pass.

Anyways, the only thing that wont make me happy is no upgrade. If we even get 10% better clock, or some more RAM, I'm happy. Actually just 10% more clock might not make me happy, but anything above that will. And more RAM definitely will.

Plus we now have imo believable evidence PS4 reserves 3Gb and 2 cores as well. That will put them on more even footing anyway (although conversely, could make MS feel less pressured to upgrade)

Yes, I constantly bring that up to people who say "well Durango bandwidth is too slow to use more memory anyway, even if they upgrade it wont matter"

We dont know where the usable RAM on Durango cutoff is, but we do know it's more than 5GB.

I don't see Microsoft second guessing themselves this late in the season, in fact they seem rather confident. Remember they pushed their reveal BACK after Sony's conference in Feb, so no scrambling, no pressure. The tweets coming from them are quite engaging, not only does it appear (Mjr Nelson) that they intend to spend a considerable amount of time talking about their hardware, they want to speak more about it afterwards. Even in a couple of tweets they have specifically challenged gamers who have taken the position that the console is weak (based on past rumors and speculations) to watch the reveal first and then come back and render their opinions.

In doesn't sound like MS intends to hide their numbers at all like some believe. It sounds more like they intend to set the record straight. They also appear to be very amused by the conversations being had in various forums. There's a, "You just wait and see" attitude as they continue to claim that they have effectively kept ALL of their secrets.

We'll know in less than 3 days if that's truly the case.

I do believe we will get an Apple-esque reveal video for the hardware, showing the effort that went into the design, how cutting-edge the tech is, and why its powerful (something like how esram makes it perform like a system with twice the 'specs',etc).

If not, there's a gametrailers.com post-show interview with Mattrick and developers after the show for one hour, and then another Majornelson twitch.tv show after that. Certainly they'll cover it in detail at that point since it seems like they are saving most of the games related news for E3.

I hope so because I am not sure I can endure 6 more months of specs speculations and rumors ;)

Question guys. What would be the benfit of a small amount of dedicated ram for the sound processor. Ddr3 is cheap. Would adding say 2 gigs of it benfit the system ? I remeber the xfi had a small amiunt of ram.

AMD just presented this beauty:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8970M.90656.0.html

20CU 850Mhz 100W

Is a mobile part, well DTR at least

4 jaguars at 1,6Ghz max at 15W

http://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/54413-amd-g-series-x-jaguar-based-processors-launch/

Would it fit the TDP bill, such a part??
2 jaguar modules, and a 20Cu GPU

Not counting that the mobile part uses GDDR5 and Durango esram.
What do you think?

2304 GLOPS SP, 144 DP Compute Power, 154 GB/s Memory Bandwidth, 80 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 20 Compute Units (OpenCL 1.2), 212 mm2 Die Size, PCIe 3.0 x16

EDIT: What would be redundant in this chip besides the HD audio processor and what would removing those parts, plus lowering the clock to 800mhz, do to the size and wattage requirements?

EDIT 2: This is just a rebranded 7970.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, I doubt they expected Sony to match on 8GB. They had to know that was an aggressive target. But they likely expected, 2-3 years ago,. PS4 to come in at 4 or even 2GB. So that doesn't jive with your narrative (although in the main I can believe it)

But, the 8GB move from Sony would have just ratcheted pressure to another level, and my theory is pubs may have started pressuring too IE, "bring your box up closer to PS4 or else".

Ahh well, we all have our dug in positions. It's near now.

-Dae talking about old specs on Durango. It would make sense if this comes to pass.

Anyways, the only thing that wont make me happy is no upgrade. If we even get 10% better clock, or some more RAM, I'm happy. Actually just 10% more clock might not make me happy, but anything above that will. And more RAM definitely will.

Plus we now have imo believable evidence PS4 reserves 3Gb and 2 cores as well. That will put them on more even footing anyway (although conversely, could make MS feel less pressured to upgrade)

Yes, I constantly bring that up to people who say "well Durango bandwidth is too slow to use more memory anyway, even if they upgrade it wont matter"

We dont know where the usable RAM on Durango cutoff is, but we do know it's more than 5GB.

It may be my fault the thread got tagged with 384bit 12GB. After the PS4 specs I was speculating on ways to bump leaked durango specs to match/exceed in a cost effective way. In the back of mind thinking of the overall compexity it may add to board layout may make it one of the hardest to change last minute. Not to say specs could have been bumped late last year in secret at the expense of early 3rd party titles.

I'm finding it most amusing when people are defending vgleaks specs to the death. After hearing and believing 8GB GDDR was impossible from Sony, nothing would surprise me.

^^

8GB GDDR5 for PS4 was never impossible. I think eurogamer while comparing the specs of vgleaks also mentioned it. It was a surprise nevertheless when they mentioned 8GB even to third parties. So it was obviously done in the latter stages.

Vgleaks specs are correct. However 720 specs could have got upgrade since then or what are the possible upgrade they could have done ? That remains to be seen

Is it healthy if we don't get more memory, faster clock and/or more FLOPS? LOL I'm getting to the point where I don't care if VGLeaks is right or not. Just get here damn it. LOL

Tommy McClain

12GB would probably be a waste on the xbox anyway without a significant power increase. I'd say it's pretty likely that the lead platform for most games this generation will be the PS4 which means 8GB will be the target memory allocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back