News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people should deal with the fact that MS have chosen a system like they did. They put low powered, cheap CPU coupled with good, albeit underpowered GPU, and gobs of cheap RAM for the reason. They had strategy several years ago and that one won, they knew Sony could eclipse these specs without exactly breaking the bank, they didn't have knee jerk reaction after Sony's conference because they already knew system specs.

Upgrade was probably possible back in early 2012, but if they didn't go for that back then then it means we are getting leaked ones. Its difficult to predict if the spec difference will be deathblow to MS or will they be able to lure people with their services and software, but one thing is clear. MS knew that with these kind of specs they will have less powerful system, but they still chose to go with it.

So they knew for over a year that their opponent's specs could eclipse them and they still rest on their laurels doing nothing , confident in their strategy .
Looks like hubris to me ..

So they knew for over a year that their opponent's specs could eclipse them and they still rest on their laurels doing nothing , confident in their strategy .
Seems like hubris to me ..
Yes. What's the alternative? That they thought Sony would release a sub 1 TF console? They've been looking at seven years from the last gen release. conventional wisdom would place the new consoles at at least 2TF, probably more (that depends on how technology scales which can't be comfortably predicted). It's implausible that MS chose 1.2 TF thinking it'd be competitive, ergo they chose that performance because it hits the price/performance model they were aiming for with their strategy. As we don't know price or services or extras, we cannot compare the platforms in terms of market appeal. You seem to be thinking on the misapprehension that consoles can only ever compete on performance and it's essential to be on top in the specs wars.

Seems like hubris to me ..
Well the PS4 specs leaked little more then a year ago, so yes, they knew it I'm sure. I'm also sure 3rd party would "nod" them if they have seen this kind of difference in power based on target specs. Its also common sense, with 8 core Jaguar and 1.2TF you are looking at 5x target from last gen tops, which started 8 years ago. That means target performance are well bellow expected, and that company like Sony is surely going for something with more performance in their console.

So yea...they knew it was underpowered and they knew their competition DEFINITELY can get something more powerful then what they put in Durango. So I guess they definitely had strategy from day one and that final confirmation of their competitors specs wouldn't change a thing.

Ignoring the fact one is 2.0 teraflops and the other 4.5?

Also arent we often told "you just cant add the bandwidth's like that"?

And yeah as Shifty said, price!=cost in the GPU game. If rumor is right Nvidia will soon introduce some GPU's that get near Titan performance for "only" $500-$600.

You are constantly ignoring the fact that these specs are forma nobody while VGleaks specs come directly form MS documentation and that DF using its own sources confirmed them.

And I am not adding BW, is said overall BW and I was talking bout the GPU..
Given the current memory set up the GPUin fact would have a 306GB/s of shared bandwidth witch is more than the GTX Titan that is at 288GB/s.

It's implausible that MS chose 1.2 TF thinking it'd be competitive, ergo they chose that performance because it hits the price/performance model they were aiming for with their strategy. As we don't know price or services or extras, we cannot compare the platforms in terms of market appeal. You seem to be thinking on the misapprehension that consoles can only ever compete on performance and it's essential to be on top in the specs wars.

I could accept that if they go for $250 .... that's about what i value their offering. But that blogger guy talks about $500 !!! For that amount i'd expect more .

You are constantly ignoring the fact that these specs are forma nobody while VGleaks specs come directly form MS documentation and that DF using its own sources confirmed them.

you know that the documents of vgleaks are stolen by dylan "DAE" from microsoft 1,5 years ago. microsoft sent FBI to buste and stop him, he says then that he prefer ps4.

pure hate story. really?
take a look at the twitter account of dae NOW.
he is NOT in jail, and he is doing a tatoo, guess what? the new XBOX logo. on his skin so why he don't hate microsoft no more, just in few days.
and there's more, all the official xbox and live twitter accounts are writing (friendly) on the accoount of dylan, and they are in love in front of the world

there's something wrong in the whole story..
and what if the stolen douments with the specs was a move of microsoft itself and he is an actor?

https://twitter.com/superDaE

you know that the documents of vgleaks are stolen by dylan "DAE" from microsoft 1,5 years ago. microsoft sent FBI to buste and stop him, he says then that he prefer ps4.

pure hate story. really?
take a look at the twitter account of dae NOW.
he is NOT in jail, and he is doing a tatoo, guess what? the new XBOX logo. on his skin so why he don't hate microsoft no more, just in few days.
and there's more, all the official xbox and live twitter accounts are writing (friendly) on the accoount of dylan, and they are in love in front of the world

there's something wront in the whole story..
and what if the stolen douments with the specs was a move of microsoft itself and he is an actor?

Then he and microsoft are in a lot of trouble for falsifying a arrest warrant.

Ok here's the latest pastebin being passed around GAF. Tar and feather me if you must. At least I dont see anything glaringly impossible about it

http://pastebin.com/sckq0WNF

probably the biggest redish (pink?) flags if any are:

185 watts seems a little low for that

"sources" saying durango 12 cu specs were accurate as of just a few months ago, it conflicts with them.

i also dont see anything that couldn't have been written by a well informed member of neogaf or b3d.

to quote alstrong, *shrug*

That would be a awesome gaming console :oops: 1080P 60fps should be minimum for this.

@Xenio

Oh please.
Now for you MS staged it all and even involved the FBI in the farce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. What's the alternative? That they thought Sony would release a sub 1 TF console? They've been looking at seven years from the last gen release. conventional wisdom would place the new consoles at at least 2TF, probably more (that depends on how technology scales which can't be comfortably predicted). It's implausible that MS chose 1.2 TF thinking it'd be competitive, ergo they chose that performance because it hits the price/performance model they were aiming for with their strategy. As we don't know price or services or extras, we cannot compare the platforms in terms of market appeal. You seem to be thinking on the misapprehension that consoles can only ever compete on performance and it's essential to be on top in the specs wars.

I've become a little more lenient on the "low" specs, because the other day a discussion led me to some digging. Basically a 7770 (10 CU@1ghz, 1.2 TF) has a TDP of 80 watts. Even allowing Durango GPU has more CU less clock, we could guess it might use 70 watts. Looking back, 7800GTX used 81 watts according to a site I found. 7800 gtx~rsx. We then assume Xenos was in that ballpark.

So that means the GPU wattage between X360-Durango would be similar. I think it's fair to assume roughly the same for the rest of the box.

In other words consoles might now be at a model of "we cram in all we can at a set (~200 watts) power usage that doesn't increase from generation to generation". And 12 CU's corresponds pretty well with that. Maybe Sony went with a little more.

The same thing happened in PC GPU, and CPU, TDP. they went up and up to a point. At some point they stopped going up, and just tried to do more in the same envelope.

So assuming Durango~X360 in power draw, it becomes more reasonable what they are rumored to have done. Rather than looking at it as underpowered as we tend to do.

And I am not adding BW, is said overall BW and I was talking bout the GPU..
Given the current memory set up the GPUin fact would have a 306GB/s of shared bandwidth witch is more than the GTX Titan that is at 288GB/s.

if everybody can agree going forward then that durango's GPU has 170 gb/s rather than 68, i will agree to this :p

Anyways we hear countless times about Durango rumors "20 CU's on DDR3, hah!" and the like. A BW bump to go with a CU bump would be nothing but expected.

There's no spinning MSFT and SuperDAE's current behavior being odd on Twitter. Considering what happened not so long ago.

@Rangers

I stick to what DF and VGleaks said which is that the GPU has a combined peak bandwidth of 170GB/sec.
I know that for many it's incredible but I trust DF and VGleaks more than any anon rumor or anon unverified source.

I don't' follow withe rabbits down holes looking for wonderlands.

Last edited by a moderator:
So assuming Durango~X360 in power draw, it becomes more reasonable what they are rumored to have done. Rather than looking at it as underpowered as we tend to do.

Is there any other way to look at it ?
Maybe it's the best console ever , but it's definitely underpowered .

Final Specifications(as of March 2013):

CPU: 8-Core Custom AMD Architecture (enhanced Jaguar), 1,6GHz
GPU: GCN, 20 Shader Cores providing a total of 1280 threads, 0,8 GHz, at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 2 trillion floating-point operations per second
Memory: 12GB DDR3-2133, 384-Bit, Bandwidth: 102,4 GB/s
64 MB eSRAM, 2048-Bit ("on die"), Bandwidth: 204GB/s
Accelerator: 4 Data move engines, Image, video, and audio codecs, Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) ardware,Cryptography engines, SHAPE-Block
TDP: Max. 185 W

I remember having a discussion that the PS4 silicon is probably around 270 mm².

Jaguar cluster = about 53mm²
20CU for the GPU is around 212mm²
32mb eSRAM takes up about 50mm² or so, so we can expect 64mb eSRAM to be around 100mm².
53mm² + 212mm² + 100mm² = about 370mm².

Ya, of course it will have a 370mm² die. Totally reasonable. :LOL:

IMHO these specs simply look like "lets 1.5x~2x everything we've seen from VGLeaks that we don't like (except CPU) and call it a day".

ESRAM really put a cap on that die size didn't it? At least if you wanted to end up with something that could actually have decent yields. And TDP only happens to be super low comparatively to last gen as a byproduct.

I wonder if MS is kicking themselves knowing HMC stacked memory will be available for retail by the end of the year. eSRAM surely took hefty amount of die space which resulted in less CUs on GPU and all that so they can fit 8GB in there.

HMC truly sounds like perfect fit for console box in 2013. Low power, lots of bandwidth and easily can fit 8GB.

Why are people foolishly assuming the entire system is on an SoC?

The GPU will be separate, almost guaranteed

The ESRAM will either be separate or on the SoC with jaguar and 360 PPE/Xenos

Having all on one at the start is just asking for yield hilarity

^ it may even have HMC, or it's even possible it had bad latencies which means the part wouldn't fit in the design philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back