News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delay and overheating rumors hit the PS4 a month before its unveiling. Maybe Durango is going through the same thing.

Except MS has "detailed data" that people use the current xbox only half the time for that purpose.

There is a difference between motive of purchase an utilization. A scenario to explain: a person wants a game machine and buys an Xbox 360. They use it 50% for that. Out of convenience they also use it to stream movies, play DVD movies, listen to music, and so forth. It would have not been purchased for these purposes and if the motive for purchase was not to play games then much cheaper -- or already owned -- devices would have sufficed. The real question is how many people would pay $500 for an inferior game experience but "more" media services that are already serviced by $99 devices (and quickly becoming "free" as they are integrated into TVs and cable boxes).

There is a difference between motive of purchase an utilization. A scenario to explain: a person wants a game machine and buys an Xbox 360. They use it 50% for that. Out of convenience they also use it to stream movies, play DVD movies, listen to music, and so forth. It would have not been purchased for these purposes and if the motive for purchase was not to play games then much cheaper -- or already owned -- devices would have sufficed. The real question is how many people would pay $500 for an inferior game experience but "more" media services that are already serviced by $99 devices (and quickly becoming "free" as they are integrated into TVs and cable boxes).

That is, of course, assuming that the game play experience will be inferior. And currently we have no way of knowing whether that will actually be the case or not.

Regards,
SB

I assume a licence agreement was entered into months, if not years ago so it seems very unlikely that there is truth in that rumour.

While it may be delayed, it's going to be because of some of the other rumours I imagine, like slow progress on games, or excessive heat from the APU.

Fingers crossed there's no delay though.

Well yes but its implied in the usage data that motive has also shifted. A lot of people who bought an xbox 360 for games at the beginning of last generation migrated their usage pattern as more and more services became available, as there simply wasnt 50% worth of non-gaming activity available in 2006. So while the biggest slice of the usage pie chart will still be games this generation, the superiority of those other functions will have significant weight in purchasing decisions (if they are actually superior and can be effectively marketed as such). As SB said though, it would be in contrast to the perceived inferiority of the machine as a game-player too.

Is this you saying that you don't believe that Microsoft has plans to release a $99 "Xbox Media" that would fill the role of a media services platform? Because I don't see it working out any other way.

And I'm not holding out for some super gaming machine either, it's just that what so many have already accepted as "all but confirmed" still doesn't make sense to me. I mean you said it yourself, who would purchase a $500 media box? It's a such a short-sighted strategy that's not at all in keeping with the restructuring that Microsoft has been engaged in as of late.

It's a strategy that wouldn't see them through even three years of aggressive competition with Sony, and even less with their "media box" competitors who would be launching updated versions of their media boxes as they go. After all, they aren't held to standardized specs.

Despite everything I've seen and read, the pieces of the hardware puzzle still don't fit. And now everyone wants to believe that Microsoft's desire to control our livingrooms will give birth to short-sighted goals that would alienate a loyal economic consumer base? And what's the evidence for this? Should they have released AAA+ titles in the last year of the 360, or shift them towards their new console?

As I said a week ago, the closer we get to May 21st the WORSE the rumors would become. It's not just weaker specs, always on and no core games. Now it's hot dev kits, 6 months behind Sony software development schedules, manufacturing troubles, scrambles for third party exclusives and Spring 2014 launch hardware delays. Microsoft's rumors are now so bad that even it's rumors now have bad rumors. lol

Starting to recognize a pattern here? And I promise you, it will get even worse as the reveal date approaches.

Ace, I don't know what's going to happen on the 21st, but I refuse to buy into the existing speculations. Because they don't just describe a Microsoft that's gone greedy (they've ALWAYS been greedy), they a describe them as luckless, clueless, practically an adversary of core gaming and having no strategy that would see them beyond 2015.

@GrimThorne
You mean a PR- agenda?

From Aaron Greenberg twiter

Rob Velazquez ‏@stoopkidrobvee 23h
@aarongreenberg @e3expo let me guess Microsoft will be showing COD, Kinect, and useless apps

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg 17h
@stoopkidrobvee @e3expo ha, nope...keep guessing.

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg 24h
We will start our story on May 21st #XboxReveal and finish it @e3expo with our media briefing June 10th.

A7MAD ‏@A7MADAU 24h
@aarongreenberg @e3expo would it be safe to assume we'll see the actual UI in action and not just pictures, like our friends from Sony had?

@A7MADAU only safe thing to say is we are keeping most everything a surprise. I think people actually prefer it that way.

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg 23h
We will start our story on May 21st #XboxReveal and finish it @e3expo with our media briefing June 10th.

Achilles ‏@Mr_Achilles 23h
@aarongreenberg @e3expo I'm really hoping you have some amazing stuff to share. Rumours have been nothing but negative thus far.

@Mr_Achilles I believe we do...stay tuned!

Adam Vaz ‏@Adamz77 16h
@aarongreenberg are graphics important ?

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg 14h
@adamz77 what do you think?! Come on man...

R.B ‏@bosjbug
@aarongreenberg I know 3rd party will bring it on the new Xbox but I need something from 1st party that isn't a Kinect game.

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg
@bosjbug noted!

R.B ‏@bosjbug
@aarongreenberg thanks. It just that I seen what MS can do with Halo 4 and would like to see more of that with new IP or revisiting old IPs

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg
@bosjbug I hear you, trust me our team loves games, never met a group with more passion for doing epic work.

(Credits to fenix ;))

(snipped full quote --Pete)
While it's only rumours, I don't expect a change in the specifications, and Xbox Infinity still has to match the PC and the PS4, which isn't an easy feat if we take raw numbers into account.

News:::... Crappy game Curiosity by Peter Molyneaux, who has been selling smoke since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, is going to end the same day as Xbox launch.

Bizarre coincidence or something else at work here?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/peter-molyneuxs-curiosity-to-end-same-day-as-xbox-launch-50011119/

Im sort of onboard with the 720. I truely think MS is going to deliver a console geared toward how a console experience should integrate into our lives in 2014+. I think lots of moaners online are still living in the SNES era of what a console should be. Give me a home server type device that can stream games to me whether I'm in the next room or on a laptop in a hotel room. I want everything piped ala Terminal Services, easily. I want to start seeing VR, motion controls and the pieces starting to come together of a holodeck type experience, in my basement at 3am playing a survival horror game with the lights out. I shudder to think what phones would b like had Apple not grabbed them by the balls in 2007. I hope Im not wrong about the 720 being ambitious.

Im sort of onboard with the 720. I truely think MS is going to deliver a console geared toward how a console experience should integrate into our lives in 2014+. I think lots of moaners online are still living in the SNES era of what a console should be. Give me a home server type device that can stream games to me whether I'm in the next room or on a laptop in a hotel room. I want everything piped ala Terminal Services, easily. I want to start seeing VR, motion controls and the pieces starting to come together of a holodeck type experience, in my basement at 3am playing a survival horror game with the lights out. I shudder to think what phones would b like had Apple not grabbed them by the balls in 2007. I hope Im not wrong about the 720 being ambitious.

I was agreeing, but then you lost me at holodeck.

lol! RAND agreements! HOW DO THEY WORK!?

Someone post this on gaf so I can read the awesome "GREAT MOVE SONY! WAY TO HIT BACK!" comments.

Just because these FRAND terms exist doesn't mean that every company respects them. There are enough cases which went to court, and even if ultimately those companies, which sued, won, it cost them time. Microsoft will surely get this license, but how fast would a court rule?

Just because these FRAND terms exist doesn't mean that every company respects them. There are enough cases which went to court, and even if ultimately those companies, which sued, won, it cost them time. Microsoft will surely get this license, but how fast would a court rule?

They'd probably get a temp injunction within days. These cases don't wait for full resolution to move forward. The whole idea that licensing would result in a significant delay to a product launch that is still months away is ludicrous.

They'd probably get a temp injunction within days. These cases don't wait for full resolution to move forward. The whole idea that licensing would result in a significant delay to a product launch that is still months away is ludicrous.

Agreed. Even if MS was experiencing a painfully slow process they could simply set aside a wad of cash into an escrow with the intent of satisfying the licensing fees. Unless MS was willingfully infringes with no intent to pay a fair fee, I doubt any court would rule against them.

because, apparently, of some kind of long time Sony exclusive to the console market
"because apparently of some kind of"... oh, what a great sign of a trustworthy rumor :LOL:

Xbox Fusion?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...-name-will-say-about-microsofts-next-console/

The article is speculating about possible names for Durango.

It's interesting to note that Microsoft has registered the domain names for XboxFusion.com, .info, .biz, .de, and .co.uk. But not anything related to Xbox Infinite or Infinity.

I dunno about Fusion. Seems kind of odd. Then again I thought Xbox 360 wasn't a good name either, so what do I know? :)

Regards,
SB

Xbox Fusion?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...-name-will-say-about-microsofts-next-console/

The article is speculating about possible names for Durango.

It's interesting to note that Microsoft has registered the domain names for XboxFusion.com, .info, .biz, .de, and .co.uk. But not anything related to Xbox Infinite or Infinity.

I dunno about Fusion. Seems kind of odd. Then again I thought Xbox 360 wasn't a good name either, so what do I know? :)

Regards,
SB

At this point, it just seems like silly distraction. If they had already decided on the real name of the console, they would have purchased the domain name through a dummy corporation so that no one finds out about it.

941927_170387519787361_291758242_n.jpg

just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back