News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, that they're not comparable in terms of inconvenience? Not being able to play online because you don't have broadband is one thing but not being able to use your console at all because your set doesn't have HDMI is another.

I'd say they're comparable, if not the always online thing a good deal more onerous.

Pretty forward looking console if all this stuff is true. MS isn't caring much about "emerging markets" and all that. that could be good or bad but it's bold.

I sometimes wonder exactly how relevant those markets are, anyway. China might be one, yet it's very high tech to begin with.

just guessing the market for 300 dollar boxes, which the 360 and ps3 are, is almost exclusively first world.

the 12 people who do not have an HDTV but will bother to buy a $500 game machine can Fix it for $7

Hehe, that's cheaper that what most people would pay for an HDMI cable in a retail store. :)

Granted, I'm sure a special Xbox branded version of it will be sold in retail stores for 19.99 USD or 29.99 USD.

Regards,
SB

I'd take a closer look at the cable if I were you. :p A few questions that immediately come to mind:

1. How is a standard cable going to convert digital to analog (full cable picture)?
  2. How is a TV going to establish an HDMI handshake over its composite input? If it could handshake, it would have an HDMI input.
  3. How is HDCP going to react for HDCP protected content/output? Pretty much ties to the handshake issue.

Really it all boils down to if there's no converter to establish the handshake, show a protected chain for HDCP, and convert to analog, then there's no picture.

EDIT

I did some quick checking on Monoprice to see if one could get the right combination of converters to go from HDMI to component or composite and I couldn't do it. All of the HDMI/DVI converters expect DVI-D, and the only DVI to Component converter (made for certain Radeon cards) expects a DVI-I input, and I suspect will only accept an analog signal for it to work.

EDIT 2

Almost forgot about these guys. They were one of the first companies I heard about doing HDMI to analog converters that were HDCP compatible during the early days of the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the reviews on that page say the device is a scam and doesn't work without more equipment.

I thought it was a bit more involved then just cabling to go from HDMI -> component.

probably be an active converter.

which requires a power supply.

i have one for optical>coax, comes with a lil wall wart.

perhaps but there will be converters made available if that's true and frankly the less in a console that most people won't need that can be added ala carte, fine with me.

it's time to move forward technologically and this product is for a certain (very large) market but not Everyone in the world.

HDTV is now the standard and moving forward for the next 5-7 years requires leaving a few people behind on the front end who would not buy until later in lifecycle anyway.

the machine is now pegged for people who consume games and media. It's not the PS2 days anymore

+1 sounds good to me. Though it sounds like some people will nitpick it & just say Microsoft are going to nickel & dime people with expensive accessories.

Tommy McClain

Early adopters probably have modern TVs. If they haven't got the required input then they could always use the HDMI source input on another device if they don't want to buy a new TV.

If the cost of supporting a legacy standard is > than the revenue/profitability of support then it makes sense to drop support. There could also be other factors such as deals with content providers who don't want their content displayed over less secure connections.

I'm not comparing it to always online but to the Xbox 1 and how LIVE didn't work with dial up connections - that's clearly not as bad as the entire console not working because you don't have a HDTV.

but broadband penetration in 2001 seemed to me like 30% (though it was growing by the second) whereas non hdmi tv's are not even sold really anymore.

i think the broadband thing was bigger. i had a dreamcast i used on dial up back then, because living in the country broadband wasnt available.

If you read my post, I said it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
I was contesting the claim that it's as bad as not being able to play on LIVE since your internet isn't fast enough - being able to play your machine (albeit offline) because you don't have the most recent technology (broadband or HDMI) is definitely not as bad as not being able to play it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
A transcoder built into a $7 cable?:LOL:

I don't think you fully understand the different protocols...

where did i mention the $7 cable? my comment was in general.

anyways the coax one i have probably cost $15 from monoprice or something. but that would be an ugly solution is my point.

not sure what the big deal is. This isn't 2005. HDMI comes standard on all tvs and the majority of monitors.

yeah.

But your component cable doesn't concert anything. A HDMI to component converter would cost much more than that. It pretty complicated electronics to do the handshaking and conversion.

These things aren't cheap.

I do think however a pure HDMI solution wouldn't limit appeal to any great deal in 2013.

I too use a high end audio amp for gaming. Conrad Johnson pre amp and Naim 250 power amps. I have to use the TV audio out. Not the best solution but it works

too use a high end audio amp for gaming. Conrad Johnson pre amp and Naim 250 power amps. I have to use the TV audio out. Not the best solution but it works

According to the spec diagram you could use S/PDIF.

Wherein you fail to understand the actual point. Wii was a success despite the price not being at all representative of the BOM or hardware capability. That's the take home message - final retail price is not tied to BOM, and only people with zero concept of economics in a free market will keep looking at a BOM and expecting that to reflect the retail price. Retail price can be far higher or lower than BOM, for any product.

bkilian is also right in that buying a console isn't about buying hardware, but buying into an experience. It's like buying a key where the value isn't in the metal that the key is made of, but in the room to which is allows entry. The cost of the console includes the opportunity to buy into platform exclusive games and services, like a paid-membership club. Pay £30 a year to join the diners club, and then you'll be allowed to pay to visit restaurants for special meals at special times that non-members don't have. Nintendo's a good example of that. The value of Nintendo's hardware is greatly tied to the quality of the platform exclusives that it enables you to play. Everyone buying a Nintendo console is buying it to gain access to that library, as if the box of electronics is a key to the Nintendo toy chest.
Wii's success has been deceiving, imho.

It didn't sell software except for a few titles and every road it opened led Nintendo to believe that specs didn't matter that much and other services were unnecessary, which isn't true nowadays.

Now the Wii U is where it is because of the Wii, in my opinion.

Nintendo is sending messages to Wii owners to help them understand what WiiU is, but the thing is... most people don't read those messages and many people don't even switch on the Wii.

Well, let's face it. After the Halo4 meltdown releasing a Halo 2 HD would be a far bigger attraction to me. At least there we would know that the gameplay and level design worked.
That's my most anticipated Halo remake ever. Halo 2 is my favourite of the series by far.

It had a great story and the design was just right, not to mention the online. Back in 2004-2005 that online was incredible, even casuals loved it --personal experience. :smile:

Durango's only video output is HDMI, no VGA or composite, is PS4 doing the same?
And wouldn't this be another annoyance for people playing on older TV sets?
I wonder if this fact has been confirmed because if so it would be odd.

One of the keys for Xbox 360 to succeed was the upscaler, and the compatibility with different video outputs.

When the X360 came out HDTVs weren't mainstream at all, on the contrary, they were very scarce.

For those who wanted to enjoy HD graphics most of us had your typical PC display in a time where original VGA HD AV cables were very difficult to find in stores, people used to buy Chinese VGA cables because the demand was high.

I remember that when the PS3 came out it didn't support VGA cables natively, and back then HDTVs weren't very common yet, so supporting them was an advantage for the X360.

It helped even a little more with its head-start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back