News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is forcing anyone to post on rumors so you could choose to ignore the rumors and not comment?

yes they could but they don't.. they want MS to reveal NOW... for some strange reason. IMO it is just people who are impatient and the most vocal are only looking for flaws anyway... the gaming journos are just looking for hits so they fan this "fire". it's silly.

look at most article's comment sections for crying out loud! it's like reading people who are posting while sitting in a pool of their own excrement. ;)

Guess you've not watched the news or read a newspaper for a long time.

Are you fucking serious? No real paper or news outlet would run a story like that piece of shit written by the edge. I'm not suggesting mainstream media has high levels of integrity or anything, but they still have standards well above the diarrhea that gaming sites like kotaku push out daily.

Most mainstream news outlets stay away from rumor mongering and printing drivel.

agreed it's getting ridiculous... it's like a bunch of people with torches and pitchforks roaming the city looking for blood and the journos are just fueling their fire

You can't really know ahead of time wether you will find something fun, or useful, now can you.

I've personally always found XBL gold to be of dubious value at best, seeing as everything MS offers is offered for free on the PC (and also on other consoles.) There's no reason for me to want to pay MS just to be able to host multiplayer matches on my own console, for example.

Again, this is something that should be considered before signing for a payment plan. If they are stupid enough to signing a contract for a service they aren't sure they'll find fun, well good I'm happy they are stuck in such situations. I can't feel sorry for the consumer who signs up for things they are clueless about.

I will sum this story up as, "Microsoft should reveal the next Xbox because gamers are a sub-human embarrassment."

lol Spot on.

agreed it's getting ridiculous... it's like a bunch of people with torches and pitchforks roaming the city looking for blood and the journos are just fueling their fire

Question: what is the shortest time between a reveal and a launch for a home gaming console?

Microsoft appear to be going for some kind of record, seemingly to mimic Apple.

All the rumours and negativity that they have seen in the last few months is because of decisions they have made to keep everything hush, EVEN THE NDA IS UNDER NDA, people have to act like it doesn't even exist!

That is just too absurd, gamers know it exists and Microsoft has been playing the "we don't comment on rumours" for way too long, so what is happening is a backlash.

Indeed the general gaming population is pretty impatient, but Microsoft should know their audience by now and should have released some information a couple months ago to prevent this very thing from happening.

They want to reveal when they can show everything at once hardware software and services what is so hard for people to understand or appreciate about that from a corporation with a MAJOR product release?

all indications of this reveal appear to be inline with their last few product reveals... yes they do like Apple's model better, good for them. Less leaks, less waiting from reveal to product in hand, more control of the message so it comes out as they are ready. Not to mention less time for your competition to react... they are just foolishly expecting their customers to act like adults. ;)

Question: what is the shortest time between a reveal and a launch for a home gaming console?

Microsoft appear to be going for some kind of record, seemingly to mimic Apple.

All the rumours and negativity that they have seen in the last few months is because of decisions they have made to keep everything hush, EVEN THE NDA IS UNDER NDA, people have to act like it doesn't even exist!

That is just too absurd, gamers know it exists and Microsoft has been playing the "we don't comment on rumours" for way too long, so what is happening is a backlash.

Indeed the general gaming population is pretty impatient, but Microsoft should know their audience by now and should have released some information a couple months ago to prevent this very thing from happening.

If they reveal before e3 they'll be on the same schedule they were with the 360. To mimic apple they'd be announcing with availability.

If you have nothing useful to write, negative rumor mongering will draw more hits than positive. Most of the public won't give a damn about ps4 or 720 until much closer to release. There are 15000000 current hd console owners, 145 million of whom are not clicking on kotoku or edge links.

If they reveal before e3 they'll be on the same schedule they were with the 360. To mimic apple they'd be announcing with availability.

If you have nothing useful to write, negative rumor mongering will draw more hits than positive. Most of the public won't give a damn about ps4 or 720 until much closer to release. There are 15000000 current hd console owners, 145 million of whom are not clicking on kotoku or edge links.

Exactly. The hardcore gaming population are wanting the info to tear down or look forward to. The rest of their market ( the other 95%) won't blink until it's almost on the shelf and the tv ads kick in around the holidays.

Its not even an issue except for people to try and make it one.

They're actually behind the 360 in schedule, as there was some info revealed (like UI and specs) at GDC 2005.

all indications of this reveal appear to be inline with their last few product reveals

But it's actually _less_ than the Xbox 360's reveal. Remember XNA launch at GDC 2004? Yes, it's not all about 360, but it was a hint of things to come. Remember the Microsoft press releases announcing their agreement with ATI on August 14, 2003? or what about the IBM announcement on November 3, 2003? Or what about the OurColony viral game that revealed pics of the controller & console? That started at the GDC 2005 & lead up to the official launch on MTV on May 12, 2005. The MTV special was even announced ahead of time on April 11, 2005?

Now I totally _GET_ why they're not doing it the same way. The Xbox 360 is a cash cow & they don't want to cannibalize it unlike how the original Xbox was replaced 4 years after its debut. So again, the 720 reveal is not entirely in line with the 360. Personally I think the Edge article is right. Xbox 720/Durango is getting a lot of negative publicity & I agree it's getting to the point where I think it's actually damaging the brand. I think Microsoft should do itself a favor & start doing something to drum up positive hype leading up to the reveal. I don't think they can wait for May 21.

Tommy McClain

But it's actually _less_ than the Xbox 360's reveal..

Tommy McClain

I was referring to recently, Surface and Office etc

Also do not think it is damaging the brand, I think they ARE going to be an online only machine and they are riding out this "leak" to get people used to it so when they reveal with full specs and services people can see the value and won't ONLY be talking about the AO

They're actually behind the 360 in schedule, as there was some info revealed (like UI and specs) at GDC 2005.

That's right! I had forgotten about the announcement at GDC. They announced the Xbox Guide & some details on CPU & GPU. Anybody have a link to the video? Coming up empty.

Tommy McClain

I was referring to recently, Surface and Office etc

Yeah, those products are totally comparable to the games console industry. Let's compare Sony's PS4 reveal to how they announce their Bravia & Vaio product brands.

Tommy McClain

Make sense, I think at this point they are creating a lot of bad advertisement for them selves, though it kind of lower the coverage about the ps4 but not in a positive manner...

May be they are knee jerking and wait for the highest Ops to double confirm the policies on the matter, who knows.

While true, you are still talking about very small percentages. We are not to the level of radio stations talking about it like you will once the launch is closer, so out of 60 million buyers what, 1 million are aware of all these rumors (and of that amount many know nothing is really true until we know).

The 360 launch was all over the local radio stations, nightly news was showing the lines and talking it over. None of that starts until November.

From Bloomberg:

Microsoft Said to Adopt AMD Chips for Next Xbox Console

The Xbox will use an AMD system-on-a-chip that combines powerful “Jaguar” central processing units with graphics chips, said one of the people, who sought anonymity because the plans aren’t public. The shift to the so-called x86 format ubiquitous in modern personal computers means Microsoft will drop the Power PC technology designed by International Business Machines Corp. (IBM), and game discs made for the current Xbox 360 won’t be compatible.

Well they seem to be reporting Jaguar CPU. I wonder how accurate that is. Any new source, or recirculation, impossible to tell I guess.

Just slightly/negligibly supporting one possibility more.

Yeah, those products are totally comparable to the games console industry. Let's compare Sony's PS4 reveal to how they announce their Bravia & Vaio product brands.

Tommy McClain

Hey man. :D

Was referring to the supposition of a corporate policy shift

Um, what narrative there is about the next xbox is being driven by forums and gaming websites. Those attitudes may be dismissed as an "embarrassment" on here but the narrative is not exactly positive. Face it, between the rumored price and specs, always-on-required-to-play following hard on the heels of the EA SimCity disaster, rumors about no-second-hand-games, then a creative director tells people to get over it (right or wrong that got peoples attention)-> that narrative is negative. Maybe right now its just a few hardcore people that are impatient and you can dismiss them. It is all fun and games until it ends up on the front page of the New York Times, Oprah, CNN and if that happens, and MS will have little to no warning if it does, then you are up a creek. How much is that first impression worth? How much of that first impression is getting defined right now for a lot of people with Facebook accounts and family members that will come ask their "gamer" family member what console to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back