News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped from gaf

On the latest WhatTheTech podcast, Paul Thurrott weighed in on the NeXtbox rumors shared some info from his sources.

What The Tech Ep. 159 - Facebook Home 4-5-13

Apparently Microsoft is launching a 99$ Xbox 360 codenamed "Stingray" this November alongside of the Next Xbox.
According to Paul this is because the next Xbox isn't going to offer backwards compatibility for 360 games.

He mentions that it's going to be expensive. Apparently around 500$ for a normal unit, or 300$ for a subscription model.
It was also relayed to him that the device does indeed require a constant internet connection to function, although that is better discussed in this dedicated thread.

Other notes from the video transcription:
-May 21st announcement. Was previously supposed to be on Apr 24.
-Early November release
-Windows 8 device

Last edited by a moderator:
From the same article ...

Or you're using it as an entertainment device when you're connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says 'must be internet-connected to use', you know, that suggests that you can't even boot into the UI and play—I don't know, I don't know, I don't have one.

well a subscription model will look awfully good next to a $499 model especially if they include some DD gameplay in that

reminds me of Office 365, where it is silly to by a single user stand alone box instead of subscription model

The $99 Xbox 360s require 2 year contracts for Gold at $15 a month. I wouldn't be surprised if the term or the per month price go up for Durango. Assuming the deal is the same as it was for 360 you're paying $660 for that $300 720.

The $99 Xbox 360s require 2 year contracts for Gold at $15 a month. I wouldn't be surprised if the term or the per month price go up for Durango. Assuming the deal is the same as it was for 360 you're paying $660 for that $300 720.
Actually, you're paying $660 for a $620 machine, assuming the retail price is at $499, and $60 a year gold cost. $40 financing cost for a principal of $320 comes out to 11.5% APR. Better than most short term financing options.

Let's not imply the customer is getting ripped off here.

...Um, well that would depend on wether the buyer actually wants a gold subscription or not, post-purchase.

There may not be a choice :p

Maybe the $500+ model comes with a lifetime(of the console) Gold sub, the $300 model requiring you to keep subscribed to Gold for as long as you want to be able to use the console at all?

Could work, $200 up front for a lifetime sub may make sense to MS based on typical purchase price and length of subscription for the average user. The cheaper console would allow a lower buy in price but would still net them atleast the same and then even more if the console is kept active for 4+ years.

While they wouldn't make as much from the type of xbox user that has subscribed for 8 years without lapses the increase in the revenues from the typical user may more than make up for it.

Ofcourse this would assume that at $300 the subscription isnt subsidizing the cost of the consoles manufacture and is just a money making move.

There may not be a choice :p

Maybe the $500+ model comes with a lifetime(of the console) Gold sub, the $300 model requiring you to keep subscribed to Gold for as long as you want to be able to use the console at all?

Could work, $200 up front for a lifetime sub may make sense to MS based on typical purchase price and length of subscription for the average user. The cheaper console would allow a lower buy in price but would still net them atleast the same and then even more if the console is kept active for 4+ years.

While they wouldn't make as much from the type of xbox user that has subscribed for 8 years without lapses the increase in the revenues from the typical user may more than make up for it.

Ofcourse this would assume that at $300 the subscription isnt subsidizing the cost of the consoles manufacture and is just a money making move.

Assuming Xbox Live will be $15 per month, then I reckon the $300 model will come with a 3 year subscription to Live. Or you can just pay $500 which will include the first 3 years free.

I reckon the $300 subscription model is there to recoup the costs of the unit, and make loads of cash on top as they would see $840 over 3 years including the cost of the base unit.

Actually, you're paying $660 for a $620 machine, assuming the retail price is at $499, and $60 a year gold cost. $40 financing cost for a principal of $320 comes out to 11.5% APR. Better than most short term financing options.

I wouldn't call the payment option a huge rip off but it was a much better deal before the last 360 price drop. Before the price drop, the payment plan actually saved you ~$20 in the end once everything was considered (extended warranty, cost of Live, cost of console, etc) but now you end up paying a bit more in the end going with the payment plan.

...Um, well that would depend on wether the buyer actually wants a gold subscription or not, post-purchase.

That's something they should consider when they sign up for the payment plan.

They are. They cannot cancel their sub, they are paying top dollar and not some discount people talk about all the time when defending Live and they cannot resell their console without a paying some cancellation fee. Let's call a spade a a spade, taking advantage of those who cannot afford something outright is ripping them off. Tough those people should not be conned so easy and should do the math and learn to save for something so non-essential as a gaming box.

I'm sure it will be big in the US, we love buying crap with money we don't have. MS knows its biggest market.

The subscription Xbox version seems will be US or any 1st world country specific, so what about those on Asia? Only have the most expensive box? Then Sony will have smooth sailing

btw

Tags
durandurango, durangutan, durian-mango

LOL

They are. They cannot cancel their sub, they are paying top dollar and not some discount people talk about all the time when defending Live and they cannot resell their console without a paying some cancellation fee. Let's call a spade a a spade, taking advantage of those who cannot afford something outright is ripping them off. Tough those people should not be conned so easy and should do the math and learn to save for something so non-essential as a gaming box.

I'm sure it will be big in the US, we love buying crap with money we don't have. MS knows its biggest market.

Yes yes everyone not paying cash for everything is getting ripped off. Problem is this is still a better deal than paying for it with a credit card if you don't have the money. No one is forcing you to enter into the agreement.

The subscription Xbox version seems will be US or any 1st world country specific, so what about those on Asia? Only have the most expensive box? Then Sony will have smooth sailing

The sub model will be an option. You will still be able to buy the box the same way Sony will sell it to you.

As has been stated multiple times, this is the EXACT same model that the cellular companies use with subsidized phones. I think that singling out this plan as outrageous is ridiculous.

I also don't think it's a good value. I won't opt for it and I wouldn't recommend any one else do so. To me, this is a reasonable reaction to a poor value. Attaching moral judgements to a pricing model is borderline lunacy with the only exception being when companies take advantage of a monopoly to charge an above market price for a necessity.

Let's call a spade a a spade, taking advantage of those who cannot afford something outright is ripping them off.

Its not anyone's job to make sure you make sound financial decisions unless you are employing them to do so.

There is a cost to borrowing because no one wants to lend out their capital at a cost to themselves. $600 dollars borrowed today is worth more than $600 will be in two or three years in an enviroment where inflation is the norm.

People make use of borrowing because its often easier to service that debt over the specified time period then it is to come up with the necessary cash to pay the total cost up front. No one would loan money if it wasn't incentivize through interest rates

Last edited by a moderator:
How much was the 360 (with HDD) at the begining?
It was 399$

Is it serious this rumoured price launch? 500$
With the current economy? Being the box almost a mid-range pc, and sharing the R&D with AMD?

My bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back