News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jyUIipAMrDcW3.png

2 months!

Only less than two months before E3 2013 (June 11 to 13)! Interesting time slot, looking forward to what they do :)

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article...o/wininfo-short-takes-february-15-2013-145253

Evidently he posted this over a week ago. Found that last bit interesting. Corroborates an earlier rumor about there being 2 Xbox systems. I find it odd that Microsoft would release another Xbox 360 model at the same time they release their next gen. Does that mean the 720 is not backward compatible? or maybe it is backward compatible? Confusing.

Tommy McClain

The 2nd system is the Apple TV competitor, which is apparently ARM based and will run WinRT.
DF mentioned it in one of their recent articles.

I don't get why they see Apple TV as some big threat? That hasn't moved very many boxes and likely won't unless they enable apps, in which case it'll be way more than $99.

Unless Apple manages to convince the studios and networks to screw over the cable and satellite cos, Apple won't be a threat for anything having to do with TV.

I don't think they see Apple TV as a threat perse, but Apple as a whole. I had a similar convo with my geeky brother-in-law about this. He's a major iPhone/iPad/Android proponent. A lot of the times he don't see the attraction of game consoles when he can just hook his Samsung Note 2 or iPad to his TV & get as good or better experience. I think that's where Microsoft is worried. The iPhone/iPad ecosystem has already made many inroads into territory that Microsoft occupies with Windows & Xbox. If I were them I would be worried to. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft plans to justify Xbox Live subscriptions on Xbox 720. That's one reason why my brother-in-law has a hard time justifying using a Xbox. Yeah he can afford it, but why when he get the same experience on his other devices for free?

Tommy McClain

I dunno I have a note 2 and the experience it gives me on a tv is sub par. My surface pro does a better job but it is a full pc.

MS needs to create a hub in the living room. They need to basicly create a small server in which you can store all your content and stream it to all your Windows devices .

Durango with dvr functions could be that small server. They just need to give the user the ability to increase local storage and stream to other devices.

imagine you have your Durango set up in your living room. It can record say 4 channels at once while your playing Call of duty 10 and while your playing call of duty your wife in another room is streaming two broke girls to her windows tablet / phone . Or you go on vacation and you stream your living room tv to your tablet / phone / laptop.

That is what MS needs to do.

The more I hear about improvements in System foot print , lower resources , better intergration between two ui's , better battery life and other kernel improvements in windows blue the more I believe Durango will ship with it and Durango will complete ms's living room set up.

I think with it MS can leap ahead of Apple and google. The only problem is getting people to "jump in" but I think the xbox brand is the smartest way to do so

IBM is doing some kind of stacking and charlie has hinted the relation to durango, take that as you will. I expect something new compared to vgleaks specs. Gotta wait til April at the latest.

He seemed to hint that it was related to Oban, but the problem is -- depsite Charlie's claims -- Oban was the 32nm Xbox 360 SoC, not a Durango part

I believe that Durango uses a fpga as an interface detween the gpu, dmes and gpu memory controller.

Here is the set up Durango dme and dma set up using a virtex 5 fpga. It's similar in nature.

http://www.vgleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/memory_system.jpg
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Highend-FPGA-comes-with-Linux/

Here is a paper from MS describing whats called streaming DMAs used in conjunction with SRAM using a fpga.
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/...a engines and intelligent icap controller.pdf

I found a ms discussion with the use a fpga with kinect and the funny thing is the presenter used our most beloved term in our next gen discussion, "secret sauce". LOL

http://msrvideo.vo.msecnd.net/rmcvideos/157648/157648.doc

Here is a patent from MS that describes some of the utility of such set up.
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...phics&RS=((AN/Microsoft+AND+dma)+AND+graphics)

From the look of this, I am not sure if AMD is designing the Xbox Next's SoC at all. They have hired so many senior engineers that it looks like they are designing their own chip like Apple. If they use an all AMD design like Sony, I am not sure why MS needs so many hardware engineers from the beginning.

Hmm... We might be totally surprised after couple of months :)

Well, there are a lot of people from IBM working on Durango. Maybe, just maybe, MikeR is right.

It's quite odd that in the VGLeaks documents showing the specs, which I suppose are kinda correct, they never mention Jaguar but just a 1.6GHz CPU.

Andy Maki, Senior Mixed Signal Design Engineer at Microsoft, ex IBM
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andy-maki/37/a08/5b8
June 2012 – Present, work on cool stuff

Rob Shearer, Principal SOC Architect at Microsoft, ex IBM BlueGene/A2/Xbox360
www.linkedin.com/in/robshearer/
Microsoft: SOC Architecture in the Interactive Entertainment Business division.
May 2012 – Present, SoC Architecture for amazing new products that I can't tell you about.

Steve Faas, Silicon Design Manager at Microsoft , ex IBM
www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-faas/20/101/749/
July 2012 – Present ,Silicon Design Manager

Ilan Spillinger, Corporate VP IEB Hardware , ex VP Advanced Processor IBM
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ilan-spillinger/7/a43/1b3
2011 – Present ,Corporate VP IEB Hardware

Yaron Galitzky, Sr Director, XBOX Kinect at Microsoft, ex Sr. R/D IBM
www.linkedin.com/in/yarongalitzky/
Jan 2010 - Present, Sr Director, XBOX Kinect

Adam Muff, Senior Hardware Engineer at Microsoft, ex IBM FP A2
Technical team lead for the Reservation Station, an out of order issue and dependency unit in a high performance embedded microprocessor. Significantly contributed to the overall architecture and implementation of a 2+ GHz multi-threaded super-scalar microprocessor.
www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-muff/7/474/90b/
June 2012 – Present ,Senior Hardware Engineer

Gene Leung, Senior Design Engineer, Ex IBM
Led multiple teams through ASIC/semi-custom timing methodology development and closure on large designs. Have closed timing on several designs that utilize high-speed serial and DDR interfaces
www.linkedin.com/pub/gene-leung/6/183/2ab/
June 2012 – Present
Previous IBM : timing lead for X86 scalability - Hardware emualtion - gameconsole GPU

Boris Bobrov, Director of Silicon Development, ex Freescale Direcotor of App. Engineerng Freescale (IBM related)
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/boris-bobrov/4/737/437
February 2010 – Present ,silicon design, hardware engineering ,Director of Silicon Development

Matthew Tubbs, Senior Hardware Design Engineer at Microsoft ,ex IBM A2,
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-tubbs/9/2b2/815
May 2012 – Present, Senior Hardware Design Engineer

Edit: Forgot to add this guy

Ex IBM, ex A2, Ex Bluegene, the one behind Xbox 360
now becoming Microsoft Sr Director of SOC and pricipal Architect XBOX, Eric Mejdrich
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/eric-mejdrich/1b/108/214

Maybe they have some guys hired because they are creating their own hardware, not just Durango, but also Surface and such.

They could also need the IBM guys to help them with hardware support for the new (AMD based) Durango hardware.

We'll have to wait and see. 26 April, or whenever more info will leak. ;)

If they were using any FPGA's, its only in the devkits and more likely just engineering prototypes.

The logic in the FPGA would be synthesized to a custom ASIC for the production as it would seem that it's used as nothing more as "glue" logic between the components.

From the look of this, I am not sure if AMD is designing the Xbox Next's SoC at all. They have hired so many senior engineers that it looks like they are designing their own chip like Apple. If they use an all AMD design like Sony, I am not sure why MS needs so many hardware engineers from the beginning.

Hmm... We might be totally surprised after couple of months :)

Yes, it does seem like they have too many hardware type guys to simply farm out the next-gen Xbox to AMD. My guess is that most of the work these guys have done/are doing is focused on getting the memory subsystems and all the components to work efficiently. That won't show up in sexy flop count numbers, but is probably more important. Adding a pool of embedded RAM and have to work well with the CPU, GPU, and main memory while at the same time being fairly easy to use by software is no trivial task from a hardware point of view.

Maybe they have some guys hired because they are creating their own hardware, not just Durango, but also Surface and such.

They could also need the IBM guys to help them with hardware support for the new (AMD based) Durango hardware.

Windows-based PCs like a Microsoft Version of an iMac, Mac mini?

Yes, it does seem like they have too many hardware type guys to simply farm out the next-gen Xbox to AMD. My guess is that most of the work these guys have done/are doing is focused on getting the memory subsystems and all the components to work efficiently. That won't show up in sexy flop count numbers, but is probably more important. Adding a pool of embedded RAM and have to work well with the CPU, GPU, and main memory while at the same time being fairly easy to use by software is no trivial task from a hardware point of view.

Don't you think that AMD has far more simulation experience with their own designs to evaluate this than some external engineers MS could hire?

Don't you think that AMD has far more simulation experience with their own designs to evaluate this than some external engineers MS could hire?

I don't have any knowledge to say who's exact design it is. My guess is that the system architecture design is driven by Microsoft and they're deeply involved as they were with the 360. And I wouldn't call a bunch of ex-IBM R/D who worked on DeepBlue and A2, just some external guys.

If they were using any FPGA's, its only in the devkits and more likely just engineering prototypes.

The logic in the FPGA would be synthesized to a custom ASIC for the production as it would seem that it's used as nothing more as "glue" logic between the components.

Not necessarily.

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/71425/kiwi_fccm2008.pdf

The Kiwi system is targeted at making reconfigurable computing technology accessible to software engineers that are willing to express their computations as parallel programs...We have demonstrated that it is possible to write effective hardware descriptions as regular parallel programs and then compile them to circuits for realization on FPGAs...Our initial experimental work suggests that this is a viable approach which can be nicely coupled with vendor based synthesis tools to provide a powerful way to express digital circuits as parallel programs.

fpga would explain why MS went with ddr3.
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/70636/tr-2008-130.pdf

There are penalties from using DDR memory, which is the most appealing from a price-area-capacity viewpoint. The penalties can be limited to about 20%, but only when the data is arranged in very large and contiguous blocks. BRAMS are the easiest and most flexible way to create large and custom memory busses, which are very effective means to achieve speedups up to 8X over SRAM and ~5X over DDR. The very limited capacity of BRAMS means that they must be used in conjunction with some other external memory for most practical applications.

I used FPGAs in my work at MS. They would not be very useful in an end-user consumer product. Low clocks, really expensive/transistor. It would be a lot cheaper to invest in a good DSP.

Yes, there's still a lot of speculation going on. Whether the company would be willing to explore the possibility of building a customized CPU or not hiring the engineers from IBM, remains to be seen, there is still some speculation on the matter.

I kind of fancied the Jaguar though, but we shall see if the CPU is a different one. I am inclined to say that the CPU might have 8 cores like Jaguar, but it isn't a Jaguar CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back