C&C on Frostbite

Yah, saw the trailer a while back. Almost got excited until I realized it probably won't appear on Steam, and hence I probably won't ever be playing it.

Hopefully they don't follow the footsteps of the last disastrous C&C outing.

Regards,
SB

he said a new genre for their studio, probably meaning bioware hasnt done a rts before

Exactly

Lucky the game is actually being made by one of EA's veteran C&C teams then, huh?

It's the Team in LA. But I am not sure how many people from previous C&C games are still there.

Yah, saw the trailer a while back. Almost got excited until I realized it probably won't appear on Steam, and hence I probably won't ever be playing it.

Maybe Steam changes their rules again. If not there is no chance for this game on Steam.

Hopefully they don't follow the footsteps of the last disastrous C&C outing.

It's unlikely that they make the same mistakes again.

Maybe Steam changes their rules again. If not there is no chance for this game on Steam.

Kingdoms of Amalur (EA Game) has gone on sale on Steam, including at least one DLC. From what I understand most of the bickering between Steam and EA revolved around how DLC was sold. So EA is entirely capable of selling on Steam, but just chooses not to.

It's unlikely that they make the same mistakes again.

I hope so. C&C was one of my favorite RTS franchises although the last few iterations (RA3, and the last one whose name shall not be mentioned) really tarnished it.

I'd certainly like the series to become relevant again.

Regards,
SB

Wow looks incredible! I love C&C and Generals was probably my favourite of the series. WIth graphics like this then this is an easy buy for me. First RTS since C&C3.

Kingdoms of Amalur (EA Game) has gone on sale on Steam, including at least one DLC. From what I understand most of the bickering between Steam and EA revolved around how DLC was sold. So EA is entirely capable of selling on Steam, but just chooses not to.

Reckoning is an EA Partners game and the contract specifically allowed 38 Studios to sell on Steam if they wanted. From now on any internally developed EA. Game is going to be Origin.

I don't see any reason to support a Steam monopoly. It's convenient yes but it's still a monopoly. EA has every right to bring competition to the DDL space. Origin is trash now but hopefully it matures soonish.

Will be interesting to see how much Frostbite can actually do for an RTS. Last one that impressed me graphically was Company of Heroes.

Origin is just terrible. Seems like it's updated daily...and you can get perma-banned from all your Origin titles for slamming EA in the Origin forums...or so say several sites.

I don't see any reason to support a Steam monopoly. It's convenient yes but it's still a monopoly. EA has every right to bring competition to the DDL space. Origin is trash now but hopefully it matures soonish.

It doesn't have to be a monopoly, but both companies should make sure their contracts are flexible enough to allow releases on both systems. EA created Origin and now automatically bar Steam from their releases.

I hope so. C&C was one of my favorite RTS franchises although the last few iterations (RA3, and the last one whose name shall not be mentioned) really tarnished it.

I'd certainly like the series to become relevant again.

Regards,
SB

Shameless plug: alliances.commandandconquer.com. I think I still have some beta keys. It's only strategy not RTS. Something to play at hours when you cannot get your best APM.

Will be interesting to see how much Frostbite can actually do for an RTS. Last one that impressed me graphically was Company of Heroes.

The graphics engine is flexible. An RTS would require some changes on the netcode and the simulation part of the engine.

It doesn't have to be a monopoly, but both companies should make sure their contracts are flexible enough to allow releases on both systems. EA created Origin and now automatically bar Steam from their releases.

No it was not related to Origin as EA still sell on other download platforms. The problem was that steam requires you to sell addons & DLCs only on steam in the case that the original game was sold on steam. It already started to increase customer support calls in the case of Sims were people were not able to activate the retails version of a addon on their steam version of the game.

Shameless plug: alliances.commandandconquer.com. I think I still have some beta keys. It's only strategy not RTS. Something to play at hours when you cannot get your best APM.

Ooooh, potentially interesting, but that page doesn't tell me anything about the game. :D

Are you working on this one Demirug? Then again do I want to lose as much time into this as I did with Battleforge? :p

Regards,
SB

EA hasn't banned Steam. It's the other way around. Not sure why everyone just assumes EA is at fault here.

1The problem was that steam requires you to sell addons & DLCs only on steam in the case that the original game was sold on steam.1

Its apparently steamworks thats the culprit
There's a catch, however: Once a publisher elects to use Steamworks in one of its titles, its customers must use Steam to play it - no exceptions. Publishers don't mind this, because it's easier for customers to purchase a publisher's other titles when the Steam client is installed and ready to go by default. But for competitors to Steam, like Direct2Drive and Impulse, Steamworks is the end of days.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_245/7285-Steam-A-Monopoly-In-the-Making

Ooooh, potentially interesting, but that page doesn't tell me anything about the game. :D

It is a HTML5 browser MMO (1000s of players per game world) strategy game with a twist.

Are you working on this one Demirug? Then again do I want to lose as much time into this as I did with Battleforge? :p

Regards,
SB

Yes, I am the system engineer for it.

As I do not know how much time you have spend with Battleforge I cannot compare. In general this kind of games are played over a long period every day.

As in turns based? Old fogies like me WANT.

Depends on your definition of turn. As said it is much more relaxed than an RTS as you can take your time to plan your moves.

Yeah EA created Origin and then Valve decided to ban EA games from Steam of course it's not EA's fault. Lulz

Back