New demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
A shadowmapping technique that takes transparent surfaces into account.

transparentshadowmapping.jpg

Enjoy
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Quite nice...

Runs well on my GFFX 5800.

Next step is making the translucent "AngleMosaic" (not angel?) texture volumetric? ;)

Nah, it's just that I want to use a high level shading language. Until we see official glslang driver support I'll probably use D3D most of the time.

Hey Humus, nice demo. However, I personally like the self shadowing bumpmapping demo better. The self shadowing does add real depth an usefullness to the bumpmapping. Could you do me a favor and could you implement toggling between normal bumpmapping and bumpmapping with self shadowing? That way I can really see the difference.

Humus said:
Until we see official glslang driver support...
Personally, I found the beta ATI ones to be quite useful and has been eating up considerable amount of my time (both good and bad).

sonix666 said:
Hey Humus, nice demo. However, I personally like the self shadowing bumpmapping demo better. The self shadowing does add real depth an usefullness to the bumpmapping. Could you do me a favor and could you implement toggling between normal bumpmapping and bumpmapping with self shadowing? That way I can really see the difference.

That could be useful. I'll do that.

Reverend said:
Humus said:
Until we see official glslang driver support...
Personally, I found the beta ATI ones to be quite useful and has been eating up considerable amount of my time (both good and bad).

Well, it's just that my demos need to be runnable for normal people on official drivers.

sonix666 said:

Alright, it's done now. A new version is up that has a menu item where you can toggle selfshadowing.

Thanks Humus, downloading now. I think that with such an option people can even see more clearly what an advantage there is to your method. :)

Yep, it is definitely a dramatic boost in realism compared to bumpmapping. You even use the bumpmapping very realistically, unlike many other attemps in games I have seen. Your bumpmapping doesn't make everything else look as if it is made of steel. Well done. :)

Nah, I think the driver already implements that functionality ;)
Seriously though, maybe I will, though that would require that I can change the HLSL code on the fly. Maybe do a string replace from "float" to "half". It can be done, though it's not top priority right now. I'm going to improve the HLSL loading code to not just use ps_2_0 always like it does now, but use the highest available for the hardware, so then the GFFX could use ps_2_a and maybe gain a little in performance.

Humus said:
Seriously though, maybe I will, though that would require that I can change the HLSL code on the fly. Maybe do a string replace from "float" to "half". It can be done, though it's not top priority right now. I'm going to improve the HLSL loading code to not just use ps_2_0 always like it does now, but use the highest available for the hardware, so then the GFFX could use ps_2_a and maybe gain a little in performance.

Errr...
Doesn't the latest DX9 build implement the partial precision setting to put the WHOLE shader in FP16 mode? :p

Uttar

Humus said:
... that would require that I can change the HLSL code on the fly. Maybe do a string replace from "float" to "half".

#define is your friend. You can pass defines to D3DXCompileShader so you don't have to change the code at all.

just wanted to state i like your new demo, and the addon to the older one, too.. can't wait for official glslang supporting drivers myself, too.. :D

Humus said:

The SDK Summer update has a compiler flag to do exactly what you want (use partial precision everywhere regardless), D3DXSHADER_PARTIALPRECISION is the name, just pass it into D3DXCompileShader flags parameter and the job is done.

Back