"Crowdsourcing" a future for niche games...?

Yeah, I backed Project Eternity and Defense Grid 2 mostly because I got so much value out of those creator's previous projects that I felt a bit guilty.

Yeah, I backed Project Eternity and Defense Grid 2 mostly because I got so much value out of those creator's previous projects that I felt a bit guilty.

haha I know what you mean for Defense Grid.

Hello,

thanks for your replies, I agree that many of us supported several Kickstarter projects because of a great fondness of old projects and nostalgia. Lets see in 1-2 years how the ratio of fail/released is and how much of the released stuff is even worth the wait...

So, the (first half of the) game that started both this thread and the Kickstarter craze for games almost two years ago is now out for backers.

And so far I think it's pretty damn good.

So, the (first half of the) game that started both this thread and the Kickstarter craze for games almost two years ago is now out for backers.

And so far I think it's pretty damn good.

What are your favourites? If you have time, please write a bit about it...

I loved the atmosphere. That includes art, writing, voice acting, music, etc.

Less enamored with the interface being simplified all the way to a single button. I missed a dedicated "look" command in addition to the generic interaction option they gave us. On occasion, it actually made me vary of clicking stuff for fear that the game would shuttle me along - interrupting my joyful exploration of its world. Also not a huge fan of the inventory being drag and drop.

Both of these felt like a concession to tablets, and the loss of some ability to explore might also have caused the puzzle design to be less inspired/ambitious than I would have liked.

Overall, it was engaging (if not yet fully realized) storylines, an enjoyable experience and a wonderfully executed world; just a little lacking on the actual gaming part of being an adventure game.

Exactly how much the latter detracts from the former, your mileage may vary.

I heard Irrational Games just shut down some of the divisions of the company and decided to put more focus on making some niche games. Wondering are they also doing this crowdsourcing.

Aarklash: Legacy has just come out on steam
BTW, for anyone who played their previous games ... this is basically the one they finally got combat right in (story sucks and it's completely linear, but the combat carries the game).

Back