Haswell vs Kaveri

In my country, Intel only released 1 i3 Haswell, which is i3 4130. If I want to price match the Kaveri solution (A10-7850), the budget for GPU is only around $60 which is enough to buy either 7730 or add $25 for R7 240 (both have 2GB DDR3). How is the performance of the Intel solution vs Kaveri? It's hard to find a benchmark on this low end spec hardware, especially one that compare them directly.

Edit: basically the budget for CPU+GPU is only $175 which is close enough to an A10-7850 or i3 4130 + 7730 2GB DDR3. Between these 2, which one would you choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
In my country, Intel only released 1 i3 Haswell, which is i3 4130. If I want to price match the Kaveri solution (A10-7850), the budget for GPU is only around $60 which is enough to buy either 7730 or add $25 for R7 240 (both have 2GB DDR3). How is the performance of the Intel solution vs Kaveri? It's hard to find a benchmark on this low end spec hardware, especially one that compare them directly.

Edit: basically the budget for CPU+GPU is only $175 which is close enough to an A10-7850 or i3 4130 + 7730 2GB DDR3. Between these 2, which one would you choose?

A Core i3 + 7730 GDDR5 would likely win, but if only DDR3 is possible within your budget, you're probably better off with Kaveri.

I would go for neither. Instead I would go a Pentium Dual core processor, namely the G2020. The Pentium is clocked a bit lower than the i3 but the that aside, the only major difference between the Pentium and the i3 is no hyperthreading, which does not make much of a difference. You would save $50 on the processor and this could be employed towards a better GPU. For gaming, this combination would be a far better choice than the other two IMHO.

Pentium G3420 is faster still, +10% clock and the very small IPC improvements from Haswell. That makes for an impossibly fast single-thread performance about on par with highest end stuff. (G3220 if the 3420 is unavailable or too expensive)

I disagree thought that Hyperthreading does not make a difference. I think it does though you obviously need a game that uses up the threads.

No for the Pentium. First because it is only two cores, second because you won't even notice the speed benefits, and third, it will become very obsolete rather soon than later...

It's okay if you upgrade it later.
What about upgrading an A10-7850K.. That's done by adding a graphics card, and then that integrated GPU you paid so much for becomes useless.

What about upgrading an A10-7850K.. That's done by adding a graphics card, and then that integrated GPU you paid so much for becomes useless.

But you'll get better performance from a A10-7850K + 2016 GPU than with a 2016 CPU + HD 7730 GDDR5.

That said, I think the better option is probably to wait for cheaper Kaveris like the A8-7600. It was supposed to launch in Q1 if I'm not mistaken.

Pentium G3420 is faster still, +10% clock and the very small IPC improvements from Haswell. That makes for an impossibly fast single-thread performance about on par with highest end stuff. (G3220 if the 3420 is unavailable or too expensive)

I disagree thought that Hyperthreading does not make a difference. I think it does though you obviously need a game that uses up the threads.

I didn't know the Haswell Pentiums were out already. If so then the G3420 is an even better choice. Single threaded performance is better than anything AMD has to offer and its a way better choice getting the Pentium + Mid Range GPU than getting a Kaveri or a i3+low end gfx.

I didn't say hyperthreading does not make a difference, I said it does not make that much of a difference. The significantly better GPU will more than make up for it. If there was no budget constraint then of course the i3 would be the best choice. But here we have to make a compromise somewhere.
No for the Pentium. First because it is only two cores, second because you won't even notice the speed benefits, and third, it will become very obsolete rather soon than later...

And a Kaveri is not a dual? It is effectively a dual in the performance standings. Not to mention the Pentium offers much better single threaded performance, and in some cases, better multi-threaded performance as well. And all this for a lower cost. This allows for a much better GPU to be used which is overall a far better choice for gaming.

Why wont you wont notice the speed benefits??

CPU's dont become obsolete as fast as GPU's do. Nehalem is still plenty good enough for gaming and it was released in 2009. You can keep the same CPU for years and just upgrade RAM + GPU and still have good performance.

Exactly..you can always upgrade it later. At the moment the Pentium offers the best price/performance ratio of all the options and gives you scope for future upgrades. And even if you dont upgrade, the performance is still quite respectable.
But you'll get better performance from a A10-7850K + 2016 GPU than with a 2016 CPU + HD 7730 GDDR5.

That said, I think the better option is probably to wait for cheaper Kaveris like the A8-7600. It was supposed to launch in Q1 if I'm not mistaken.

1. You'll get better performance with a Pentium G3420 + Mid-range GPU today than with either a A10-7850K or a i3+low end GPU
  2. You'll get better performance with a Pentium G3420 + 2016 GPU than a A10-7850K + 2016 GPU

I don't know about your country, but around here a Pentium G3220 (Haswell) and a Geforce GTX 750 1GB (Maxwell) cost slightly LESS than an A10-7850K. And the Pentium+GTX750 will easily outperform the A10 at all games and you will have better upgrade options in the future.

Performance standings are misleading in the long term.
And you won't notice the speed benefits because they are not significant enough to make a difference.

Of course the four core A10-7850 is a better choice in the long term than any fast dual core. The dual core will become a limitation exactly because of lack of multi-threading.

I really am not convinced that Kaveri has any advantages over a Pentium Haswell in CPU performance. In the best case with full Kaveri module utilization, it's probably about equal. If the app is hitting only one thread, Haswell is going to blow Kaveri away.

I can't find any single review, which would indicate, that G3420 is faster than A10-7850K. It seems, that Pentium is slower (~15 % at the average) than Kaveri.

I think the smartest thing to do would be to just save more money so one can move up a few market segment brackets.

Performance standings are misleading in the long term.
And you won't notice the speed benefits because they are not significant enough to make a difference.
The Pentium+GTX750 will easily outperform the A10's IGP in the short and long term.
And the speed difference will be really obvious. I speak from experience of using and comparing a Pentium G630 (Sandybridge) and GTX550Ti against the A8 and A10 APUs of that time. And AMD APUs require faster and more expensive RAM to do their best, while the Pentium+discreet GDDR5 card do alright with cheap RAM.

Of course the four core A10-7850 is a better choice in the long term than any fast dual core. The dual core will become a limitation exactly because of lack of multi-threading.
That's what entusiasts have been repeating since 2006 when Q6600 was released. But a few years later their Q6600 was sucking at games anyway due to low single-thread performance.
But even if a fast Intel dual core finally become insufficient for budget gaming (after almost a decade of quadcore hype) then the OP will still have the option to get the cheapest i5 which will blow the A10 away both in single and multi-thread performance.

In Spain if you put memory into the equation.
A10-7850 + faster RAM = i3-4130 + GTX 750 1GB + RAM +/- 10 €
For me second option is faster and more future proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the GPU doesn't have >2GB RAM it won't be future proof at all. Games are starting to go beyond 2GB and the new console generation just started. Thief has to be run on low texture quality to run smoothly on a 1GB card.

Back