Haswell vs Kaveri

I wonder what that fixed-function accelerator could be.

By the way, where does this slide come from?

I have actually wondered the same. I think though the low-end APUs are definitely out. Arguably those cpus would need it the most, but OTOH you can't get the "full" graphics with them neither so you can probably live without accurate sound effects too. Something like Kaveri though, why not?

Maybe not on the cat family (unless it can be scaled down), but in Kaveri's successors it's practically a given.

Some Kaveri news.
Announcement: December 5.
Availability: February 2014.

u04aKfU.png

v9Mz6kA.png

- TrueAudio will be present in Kaveri
- Unless it's a secret being very well kept, it seems there's nothing to compensate for the iGPU's memory bandwidth.

SteamrollerB core. So they admit they are late? Oh well..

It seems to me that Kaveri 1.0 was scrapped, and replaced with this, hence the delay and Steamroller "B". It would also explain the rumors of 13 CUs (832 shaders), though I'm not sure I buy that.

SteamrollerB core. So they admit they are late? Oh well..

All the silence throughout the whole Q3-2013 was pretty much self-explanatory, IMO.

SteamrollerB? What happened with SteamrollerA?

Unless some product out there is going to have Steamroller A, it would seem odd to mention it.
Many architectures have had scrapped variants that were never released. Bulldozer went through at least one revision, but I don't recall AMD launching it as BulldozerB.

One example where this did happen was AMD's Thoroughbred cores, which did have an A and B revision that made it to market.

Some more news from Anandtech:

Perhaps the most interesting news of all was only touched on briefly. FM2+ motherboards are now shipping, with more likely to show up in the coming weeks. The new platform will support existing Trinity/Richland APUs, but more importantly it will also support the upcoming Kaveri APUs. Kaveri is of course what most of us are looking forward to seeing, and along with the Steamroller architecture update (the current Trinity/Richland are Piledriver architecture), it will be the first APU to feature an iGPU based on AMD’s GCN architecture.

We’re expecting a healthy increase in graphics performance with Kaveri, but we don’t know just how fast it will be right now. However, AMD confirmed that Kaveri will be shipping in 2013 (though perhaps only in small quantities), which means we’ll be able to see just how well Kaveri stacks up against Intel’s latest in the next month or two.

So I guess we'll see reviews in late December, but global availability shouldn't come before February.

Regardless, I hope AMD is focusing Kaveri for laptops and not desktops.

Unless some product out there is going to have Steamroller A, it would seem odd to mention it.
Many architectures have had scrapped variants that were never released. Bulldozer went through at least one revision, but I don't recall AMD launching it as BulldozerB.

One example where this did happen was AMD's Thoroughbred cores, which did have an A and B revision that made it to market.

Could be damage control: "OK guys, we're late, but we have a good excuse." My guess is that Steamroller B isn't just Steamroller A with a few bugs fixed, but actual micro-architectural improvements.

Could be damage control: "OK guys, we're late, but we have a good excuse." My guess is that Steamroller B isn't just Steamroller A with a few bugs fixed, but actual micro-architectural improvements.

Possibly, although that has the optics of thrashing about to create the marketing impression of progress in their architecture R&D.

Unless SteamrollerA has "touched" the outside world in some way, whatever they bring out should just be Steamroller.
Maybe something was formally disclosed about Kaveri that was materially changed, or the A model was actually part of some customer contract.

It seems forced and not complimentary to market your products with a failure count in the name.

Possibly, although that has the optics of thrashing about to create the marketing impression of progress in their architecture R&D.

Unless SteamrollerA has "touched" the outside world in some way, whatever they bring out should just be Steamroller.
Maybe something was formally disclosed about Kaveri that was materially changed, or the A model was actually part of some customer contract.

It seems forced and not complimentary to market your products with a failure count in the name.

Kaveri hasn't touched the outside world, but Steamroller as a microarchitecture was formally introduced by AMD, and described in some detail. If the core in Kaveri is materially different from what was originally announced, I think it makes sense to call it Steamroller B, if only to explain why things don't match up.

Kaveri hasn't touched the outside world, but Steamroller as a microarchitecture was formally introduced by AMD, and described in some detail. If the core in Kaveri is materially different from what was originally announced, I think it makes sense to call it Steamroller B, if only to explain why things don't match up.

I vaguely remember reading that SteamrollerA was for AM3+ (4+ modules, L3 cache, Opteron and Phenom, now scrapped plans) and SteamrollerB was all along for APU's with HSA glue.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

Interesting that there are only 3 higher-end SKU's at launch, that could bode well in terms of yields. This could also point to two different dies for the high-end and low-end, which is something I feel they really need to be doing to make it profitable.

Back