Haswell vs Kaveri

I think you're overestimating that a bit. Looks more like about as fast as 6450 ddr3 or HD2500 to me.

Yeah a 6450 DDR5 would definitely be best case. 128 GCN SP's pretty much equal 160 VLIW5 but 500 MHz max gpu clocks is a bit down on the 625 MHz minimum on the 6450. The DDR3 version looks to be pretty heavily hamstrung by bandwidth however so I'd expect at least equal to that from the 25W Kabini even with the lesser clocks. Do we know if it has a gpu turbo yet?

Doesn't seem likely though I've heard a rumour about it. What I meant was that the DDR3 6450's were languishing between 8.5 and 12.8 GB/s whereas Kabini can handle 15 GB/s.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_6450_Passive/27.html

The performance difference between the 1066 MHz DDR3 and 3600 MHz GDDR5 version is 40%, albeit with 20% lower core clock as well. Still, with 500 MHz core clock and 1866 MHz DDR3, Kabini should be a lot more balanced but still probably a little bandwidth limited. I guess it's more likely to end up smack in the middle of the DDR3 and GDDR5 6450 performance.

Such throughput is too low to challenge anything, but the mainstream discrete GPUs, while at the same time being an off-die L4 cache, the access latency will certainly suffer, regarding the CPU side. Nonetheless, it will definitely be an improvement to the ailing dual-channel DDR3 interface, just how much we have to see.

Mainstream as in, which GPU? Do you think 650M GDDR5 performance is reachable or not? Coincidentally there's also GDDR5 version with 64GB/s bandwidth..

128 GCN SP's pretty much equal 160 VLIW5

128 VLIW4 SP's almost equal 160 VLIW5 SP's, but GCN SP usually >30% faster than a VLIW4 SP(*). And this is with old drivers, with new drivers the difference is probably even bigger.

So in performance 128 GSN SP's are closer to 240 VLIW5 SP's than 160 VLIW5 SP's.

* Number got from comparing 6970 performance to 7870 performance. 7970 is more limited by ROPs instead of shaders so comparison to that does not give good indication of the shader performnce

128 VLIW4 SP's almost equal 160 VLIW5 SP's, but GCN SP usually >30% faster than a VLIW4 SP(*). And this is with old drivers, with new drivers the difference is probably even bigger.

So in performance 128 GSN SP's are closer to 240 VLIW5 SP's than 160 VLIW5 SP's.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. You can't use 6970 for comparison as it doesn't scale performance with vliw count at all.
If you compare for instance HD5770 with HD7770, the latter is maybe 25-30% faster on average at best, and that's with a 17% higher clock to boot for the HD7770.
So 128 GCN SPs should indeed be quite close to 160 VLIW5 SPs. Yes some things (especially compute-related) will run much better, but we were also talking Kabini vs. 6450 in which the latter additionally has a clock speed advantage which would easily make up any 10% or so advantage Kabini could have based on just shader units.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. You can't use 6970 for comparison as it doesn't scale performance with vliw count at all.
If you compare for instance HD5770 with HD7770, the latter is maybe 25-30% faster on average at best, and that's with a 17% higher clock to boot for the HD7770.
So 128 GCN SPs should indeed be quite close to 160 VLIW5 SPs. Yes some things (especially compute-related) will run much better, but we were also talking Kabini vs. 6450 in which the latter additionally has a clock speed advantage which would easily make up any 10% or so advantage Kabini could have based on just shader units.

The HD 7770 being with ~5% less bandwidth.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6926/intel-iris-iris-pro-graphics-haswell-gt3gt3e-gets-a-brand

mnMd1nv.png

SGI's IrisGL.

SGI had a line of workstations too: I remember the personal Iris 35.

I guess old SGI trademarks are not valid anymore, there is a software named "Octane" (and another named "Indigo") and SGI had a workstation with that name too.

That looks promising for GT3. Looks like even the 28W GT3 should beat Trinity/Richland 35W in GPU performance.

1) Get an Intel Iris 5200, sorry Iris Pro 5200
2) Run the Maxx Interactive Desktop http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop/wiki
3) ???
4) Profit!

Dunno if this is all that accidental. There's some subtext that OpenGL is taken particular care of (as has been currently happening with the linux driver), that maybe CAD applications will display without graphical corruption, that you can use it as a workstation (even to do some 3D modeling, which doesn't require that big of a GPU anyway).

Back