PSN is Dead

Except PSN isn't dead. I'm not quite sure what it is...maybe deposed, and now it's, "the king is relegated to Prime Minister. Long live the king!"

This is odd though. Why claim PSN is being changed to SEN and then not actually change it? Where is the SEN presence on PS3?

I assume that PSN also has a backbone which is also referred to as PSN which takes care of the authorisation process, and that this is the part that was replaced by SEN, so that all systems are now connected, similar to your iTunes user id having access to your music, video and apps.

Except PSN isn't dead. I'm not quite sure what it is...maybe deposed, and now it's, "the king is relegated to Prime Minister. Long live the king!"

This is odd though. Why claim PSN is being changed to SEN and then not actually change it? Where is the SEN presence on PS3?
The email Sony sent out said that PSN accounts would be renamed to SEN accounts, and that Playstation Network would be aligned with SEN. Sony never said the PSN was being renamed, only the accounts. I imagine if you sign up for a new account, you'll see SEN mentioned more.

I assume that PSN also has a backbone which is also referred to as PSN which takes care of the authorisation process, and that this is the part that was replaced by SEN, so that all systems are now connected, similar to your iTunes user id having access to your music, video and apps.
That's a good way of explaining it, or how people can sign into XBox Live with their Windows Live ID. Now we sign into PSN with our SEN accounts.

Not sure about that. Just logged into PSN and was greeted with new T&Cs saying a Sony Entertainment Network account allows access to Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, PSN, etc. So PSN is seen as a subset of the whole network. Basically you have a single unified account, but within that PSN is the gaming component.

I expect the PS brand to be used to identify gaming capable devices that can run content from PSN, although the PSN content will probably remain fractured into separate devices for a good while. A PSS section could be the only visible content for PSS devices to save confusing users with content they can't play.

That's what I meant when I said it's a 2 level thing. ^_^

www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com lists all the services under the SEN umbrella. PSN is only one of these components. The others are Video Unlimited, Music Unlimited, PlayMemories, and third party services. PS Suite should count under PSN because it will also use PSN services.

But I did make a mistake above. A SEN client can be a non-Sony device too (e.g., Music Unlimited is going to iOS as well).

Video and Music Unlimited are SEN services. Those apps under "Channels" (NetFlix, Hulu Plus, etc) are also SEN partners. These services use the SEN single sign-on platform.

Ok, since PSN/PS Suite is not SEN, I'm posting SEN news here...

Sony's PlayMemories Service Gives Five [Free] Gigabytes of Cloud Storage
http://andriasang.com/comzwe/playmemories_detailed/

As previously announced, PlayMemories is a service for managing your media through your PlayStation 3, smart phone, tablet and other devices. The service consists of a Cloud storage service called PlayMemories Online, and three applications, PlayMemories Home, PlayMemories Studio and Play Memories Mobile.

Content that's uploaded to the PlayMemories Online cloud service can be viewed from your PC, smartphone, tablet and other devices. Sony said today that users will get five gigabytes of free storage on the service. PlayMemories Online goes live in the Spring.

More details in the article.

EDIT:
Why don't they make my PS3 into a dynamic DNS web server ? There are a bunch of family media I want to share with my families and relatives overseas without uploading to Facebook and succumbing to their privacy policies.

Video and Music Unlimited are SEN services. Those apps under "Channels" (NetFlix, Hulu Plus, etc) are also SEN partners. These services use the SEN single sign-on platform.
Yeah. I meant 'SEN brand presence on PS3'. It's possible to buy a PS3 and use a load of services without associating them with SEN, it seems. Could be wrong as I don't use MU or VU, so maybe they make mention of the name. It's kinda like SEN doesn't exist as a brand yet and the services are being offered piecemeal. Sony need to consolidate that into the SEN experience so people nkow SEN = MU, VU, games, pictures, yadayada, rather than SEN = a login account.

Interesting talk about brand association. I had never really thought about it, but Microsoft was very sharp in branding their services as Live which is then easily incorporated into the name of whatever device you access it from. Xbox Live, Windows Live, etc...

Sony should have done something similar, IMO. So that you have Playstation XXX, and Bravia XXX, etc... Where the XXX is whatever the brand of the umbrella service is.

Regards,
SB

Yeah. I meant 'SEN brand presence on PS3'. It's possible to buy a PS3 and use a load of services without associating them with SEN, it seems. Could be wrong as I don't use MU or VU, so maybe they make mention of the name. It's kinda like SEN doesn't exist as a brand yet and the services are being offered piecemeal. Sony need to consolidate that into the SEN experience so people nkow SEN = MU, VU, games, pictures, yadayada, rather than SEN = a login account.

On PS3 ? Probably because SEN is new there, and the star is Playstation.

I would love to see a more orchestrated SEN presence too, but it will take time. At present, the only hints are the SEN id and the SEN logo for MU and VU. Moving forward, all the services should become more "aligned", especially in terms of user experience. e.g., SEN's Video Unlimited preview already tells us that the old PSN Video Store will be replaced eventually.

On a Bravia TV, SEN encompasses the entire entertainment experience beside watching TV.

On third party devices, I think SEN will take a backseat to downplay Sony's presence. Unless Sony spend big $$$ pushing SEN, it will likely remain so.

On PS3 ? Probably because SEN is new there, and the star is Playstation.
But the press release stated that the name would change. Only it hasn't. Nothing has changed as far as users can see. They had to agree to new T&Cs called SEN instead of PSN, which people wouldn't have read and just agreed to, and that's it. The press release seems misleading to me. :???:

Back