PSN is Dead

Well, we never called it either internally anyways, so it makes little difference as to what's it's publicly called other than marketing and brand messaging...

Just out of curiousity, what do you guys call it internally? Something cool or something geeky? :) Or something cool AND geeky? :D

Regards,
SB

Wonder if they'll ditch the Playstation brand. Sony's Next Entertainment System :p

Nah, I think a Playstation rains a perfect device to hook up to an Entertainment Network.

[useless trivia]
"Sen" stands for "dream" or "sleep" in Polish.
[/useless trivia]

I like the name. The only problem I have with this is: if Sony is pushing "Sony Entertainment" as a brand, what's going to happen with that other entertainment brand they have: PlayStation? I'm sure it's gonna be OK, but where is the line between PlayStation and Sony Entertainment going to be drawn? That's super unclear right now, IMO.

PlayStation is the box of goodies. SEN is the content network serving media. PlayStation will be used to brand certain devices like a PlayStation phone along with consoles, while on all Sony devices you'll access the Sony network. PlayStation devices will play PlayStation games, I guess all games on the SEN eventually or maybe just those in the PlayStation section, while all network devices (mobile, PC, console, tablet) will play all SEN content (movies, music, TV).

It's no different to MS Live! and XBox.

What about PlayStation Suite or Android devices? Does it make sense to use less recognizable brand, PlayStation, for mainstream gaming framework? Shouldn't Sony go for the Sony Entertainment Suite instead? The reason I'm asking is simple: I don't think it's that clear-cut. If your Bravia allows you to access SEN, that's cool. What if it lets you play games, social, cloud, whatever - most embedded devices have Opera browser built-in, so pretty much anything that works on Facebook, works on the TV. Sony didn't want confusion caused by the fact that Sony Bravia device connects you to the PlayStation Network. So it's SEN instead. But then you go one step further and you hit the same decision: games on TV are SEN or PSN? ;) It is quite different from Xbox Live! and Xbox (there are no such thing as MS Live! or XBox ;P) since MS does not manufacture TVs (to name one appliance that generates this Sony/PlayStation problem).

games on TV are SEN or PSN? ;)
You connect to the SEN to meet your friends/contacts/download preferences etc. These are 'the cloud' for Sony. The game will come under the PS banner I expect because Ps is very synonymous wtih gaming. Thus in the SEN store, you'll have a movie section, music section, and games section which may or may not be called PlayStation. What they need to ensure is that a device that cannot run a game doesn't have access to it, so you can't go into your TV and buy a game expecting it to run if it can't. Having the PS differentiator would help with that. If you have a Sony TV, you won't be able to play games. If you have a PlayStationTV, you will. That's how I expect it to go anyhow. On unbranded devices like Android phones that can play PSS content, there'd be a PlayStation icon and not an SEN icon.

since MS does not manufacture TVs (to name one appliance that generates this Sony/PlayStation problem).
But Live is available across devices. It's on phones, PCs, will be tablets and XBox. The intention is that you can buy content on Live like music and movies and play it on your Live enabled device. But of course XBox games won't work on your PC or phone (yet). So there's already this common network for MS with a discrete gaming service, only the discrete gaming service doesn't have a discrete gaming name. Isn't that just because MS picked the opposite option to Sony? They had MSN and Live! as discrete products and grouped them all under the Live name, whereas Sony had SonyNET and PSN and grouped them under the SEN name.

Wonder if they'll ditch the Playstation brand. Sony's Next Entertainment System :p

Nope ! It's the same 2 level platforms we have been talking about: ^_^

(1) Sony Entertainment Network -- Services and HTML5-based widgets for Sony devices

(2) Playstation Network and Suite -- Native + Mono-based. Playstation hardware and Playstation Certified devices

Nothing has changed yet, but you can see what may be coming (soon) to PS3 and Vita from www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

In particular, the video service on SEN is streaming-based whereas PSN video is download-based. One of the execs talked about combining both services a few years ago. Great to see them finally start to take the new platform public.

Oh booo, who wouldn't want a console called SNES.

>_>
<_<

(I wasn't being serious about ditching Playstation for the console.... really. )

I only pray they don't give us more names like Qriocity.

This link has more SEN services (Click on the "Entertainment Library" and "Widget Library" tabs)
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=STATICS_BIV_showcase

You can see some of them, like College Sports, NetFlix, Hulu Plus, NHL Vault are already on PS3.

What about PlayStation Suite or Android devices? Does it make sense to use less recognizable brand, PlayStation, for mainstream gaming framework? Shouldn't Sony go for the Sony Entertainment Suite instead? The reason I'm asking is simple: I don't think it's that clear-cut. If your Bravia allows you to access SEN, that's cool. What if it lets you play games, social, cloud, whatever - most embedded devices have Opera browser built-in, so pretty much anything that works on Facebook, works on the TV. Sony didn't want confusion caused by the fact that Sony Bravia device connects you to the PlayStation Network. So it's SEN instead. But then you go one step further and you hit the same decision: games on TV are SEN or PSN? ;) It is quite different from Xbox Live! and Xbox (there are no such thing as MS Live! or XBox ;P) since MS does not manufacture TVs (to name one appliance that generates this Sony/PlayStation problem).

PSN is one level lower than SEN. SEN is the umbrella service, encompassing Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, PlayMemories, PSN, third party services and more.

PSN is the gaming network with PS Suite clients and Playstation hardware clients. PSN is also open and integrated with Steam, Origins and other gaming networks.

Aiight, gotta run ! :D

Nope ! It's the same 2 level platforms we have been talking about: ^_^

(1) Sony Entertainment Network -- Services and HTML5-based widgets for Sony devices

(2) Playstation Network and Suite -- Native + Mono-based. Playstation hardware and Playstation Certified devices
Not sure about that. Just logged into PSN and was greeted with new T&Cs saying a Sony Entertainment Network account allows access to Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, PSN, etc. So PSN is seen as a subset of the whole network. Basically you have a single unified account, but within that PSN is the gaming component.

I expect the PS brand to be used to identify gaming capable devices that can run content from PSN, although the PSN content will probably remain fractured into separate devices for a good while. A PSS section could be the only visible content for PSS devices to save confusing users with content they can't play.

I only checked the store today and saw that my download is back. So that's a relief. ;)

The thread title is actually wrong, it turns out. PSN exists still, at least in name. On PS3 the network icon is still labelled 'PlayStation Network', and the store is the 'PSN store'. I can't see a mention of Sony Entertainment Network anywhere other than the T&Cs.

So the title could be 'PSN is dead! Long live PSN!'

Back