Anand has his head in his...

TKS

Newcomer
Anand must be smoking crack or has his head stuffed into his anus. The reason is that he's not taking into effect things discussed in the past...Pixel Shader 2.0 and Floating point precision and why it is part of DX9 standard. The review that calls this in to play is http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1896.

Here's the problems I have with it:

1. Tomb raider didnt have fps graph it had some dodgy frame lost while using PS2.0 graph. IMO, anandtech will mislead a lot of people by using those graphs

2. they used unreleased driver for benchmark(which i remember they said they never will after that GF4 fisco)

3. the images were not captured in a way that truely reflect cards' rendering within game, eg. they capture those dark and outdoor area...Even worse, some of the most important FULL SIZE images had BROKEN links, halo was the one stand out.

4. All the screenshots are identical. I mean every one is like its been produced from the same card. No differences in lighting or anything. Surely there should be at least a difference in lighting on some of the screenshots?

5. the MS Flight Simulator game has been removed???? That was the game where the ATI cards got 125fps and the 5900 got 27fps???? Why remove a game and not test I.Q on it when its one of the games Nvidia suffers most on. Surely we want to see if the ATI cards have lower I.Q in this game ??

6. Nvidia still cannot do Floating Point 2.0 Textures (as noted first line of this page in Anands article). Most people do not know what pixel shading (2.0) and FP is...So here's some info on what they do: The algorithms implemented at the pixel processing stage (where the DX9 Standard includes PS2.0/Floating Points) include bump mapping, shadowing, environment mapping, and lighting (e.g. reflection, fog, etc.)...IN FACT, they (PS2.0/FP) don't really effect AA or AF directly...they use shading techniques (utilizing color pixels) to provide depth of field, textures, bumps, blips, ridges, etc. So, interestingly enough...Nvidia still can't do this even with the 52.14 Dets. What up with that? They no likey the DX9 STANDARD?.

7. Why is Anand even comparing benchmarks if PS 2.0 can't be enabled? DX9 MUST HAVE PS 2.0 enabled to be DX9 at all. I mean, it's like Carl Lewis running a 100 meter dash against a person in a wheelchair. One doesn't even use his legs (or in our case, PS 2.0). It is damn ridiculous. Someone over at Anands should have their head examined. In fact, Nvidia cards shouldn't even be included when speaking of DX9...because they ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE STANDARD. PERIOD. When Nvidia finally sprouts a pair and steps up to the DX9 plate...then lets talk benchmarks. Until then, they are sacrificing quality in order to perform. I'd feel lied to if I had an FX series card...no matter how hard Nvidia tries to polish it up, it's still a turd...it's only going to get buffed and become a shinier turd. I wonder how long they will have people snowed over in believing that they are DX9 capable. It seems they've been able to for a few months now. WAKE UP EVERYONE....we should all be performance junkies not ATI or NVIDIA junkies...I know I am.

8. The bottom line of things are that Anand is trying to say that (and I quote):
"The new 52.14 drivers are much better than either the 51.xx or the 45.xx series. The image quality issues are corrected from 51.xx, and a lot of speed has been inked out over the 45.xx drivers. We have actually been very impressed with the speed, image quality, and playability enhancements we have seen."
Impressed with the image quality improvement? Where? There is no improvement period from a PS 2.0/FP precision standpoint...and this is where Nvidia is lacking...this is what is causing all the fuss...yet they've improved? That's like saying, hey, I know you didn't beat Carl Lewis in the 100 meters Mr. Handicap person...but you shaved .5 seconds off your time!! woo hoo! It just doesn't make any sense...Nvidia is still on DX8.1 and IS NOT up to par with the standard.

If I were Microsoft, I'd prosecute for altering the DX9.0 code (which Nvidia's drivers do...they 'enable' mixed mode instead of fully rendering PS2.0 stuffs). Anyone that can't see the error of Nvidia needs to first, pry the rock off themselves cause they've been living under it for too long and second, pull their head outta their arses...cuz the facts stick. If I hold up a red colored pen and tell you it's red...but you say it's blue...you come off sounding and looking like a total moron...if you continue to support a video card that doesn't do what they've claimed it could do and doesn't meet the DX9 standard...you come off sounding and looking the same.

You want a true test for Floating Point? Go here and use it. This test ignores Nvidia's drivers' request to enable only partial (12-16bit) FP precision and uses DX9 24bit The source of the download is digit-life; it was an article with John Carmack talking about FP and PS 2.0 and how Nvidia isn't up to microsoft DX9 specs regarding the issue. Good read but a bit technical...you can pick out the simple stuff though as they are good to give in to laymans terms.

Enough is enough people. Nvidia is still lying to us. As of today...Nvidia tech data still states PS 2.0+ compliant with the FX 5900. It isn't. They're lying and the proof is purely evident. If they make it so today that 24-32bit comes into play with a new driver, I'll go ahead and clap for them and say good job guys...you're DX9 compliant now and then I'll go purchase an FX 5950...but until then, we cannot ignore things and pretend that there is no fault here. What they are doing is robbing people by selling a product that is handicapped. It isn't right and they shouldn't be getting away with it.

Somehow I think that thread titles such as this one do not significantly increase the quality of the forums.

What's wrong with a good ole' "Problems with Anandtech review of..."?

horvendile said:
Somehow I think that thread titles such as this one do not significantly increase the quality of the forums.

anus is such an unused word. It needs to be used from time to time. but not in the title. :) Anychance you can edit that for us TKS.
btw, welcome to b3d.

thanks
epic

just check their last line of the Cat3.8 review:

Even so, we are still standing behind our wait and see recommendation with respect to purchasing a card intended for use with the coming DX9 games.
:rolleyes:

I truly can't understand what Anand is trying to do other than the obvious conspiracy theory stuff, someone wanna explain to me any other reason for his "review"? :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
I truly can't understand what Anand is trying to do other than the obvious conspiracy theory stuff, someone wanna explain to me any other reason for his "review"? :oops:
Damage control?
Trying to backpedal from pissing off both NVIDIA and ATI?

Anand tries to be a harmless little puppy, not hurting anyone, but looking incredibly stupid in the process :D

digitalwanderer said:
RussSchultz said:
horvendile said:
What's wrong with the previously opened thread on this topic?
Meh, the more threads pointing out a sell-out review the better. :)

I suspect you'll find a lot of people that disagree with you.

I actually appreciated the review quite a bit. I find a lot of value in seeing how various card/driver combinations perform in a truly wide breadth of games. Dare I say more value in this than in a 400% frame magnification comparing 8X AF filtering modes or FSAA modes...

Anandtech said:
Even so, we are still standing behind our wait and see recommendation with respect to purchasing a card intended for use with the coming DX9 games

Where was this concern for Anandtech readers when they were turning a blind eye to all the cheats/issues in nV drivers :?:

First of all, Derek is chiefly responsible for this article. Secondly, I think the article's shortcomings are more a result of a very tight deadline and perhaps a lack of sophistication on the writer's part, rather than a genuine attempt to misinform people. If you recall, Part 1 recommended ATi over nVidia, and nothing in Part 2 appears to change or contradict that recommendation.

Thirdly, and most importantly, ad-homming is neither appropriate for these forums nor conducive to better reviews. If you wanted to say Anandtech as a whole is misguiding readers with their reviews (by not providing the whole picture) and generally not on point in the home 3D arena, I'd be more inclined to agree with that. It's their responsibility as one of the most popular hardware sites to get things right. The fact that they're immensely profitable makes the current situation less excusable, too. I agree that Anand has seemed to be a bit of an FX-apologist for the past few months, though perhaps my simultaneous and increasing dislike of nV's recent PR and driver tactics are coloring my perception of his comments.

As far as DX9 games, I've put my reservations on the back-burner until we start to see some real titles released that demonstrate a clear advantage in either IQ or speed to ATi before I resume protesting. Sure, I think nV's initial low scores + good IQ and high scores + low IQ in 3DM03 and AM3 were and are very suspicious, and that's been made clear in the overwhelming recommendation to buy ATi for the best chance of good DX9 speed in every forum I visit, but at this point I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for real DX9 games.

Let me say again how much I liked NordicHardware's 9800XT review. I liked the fact that they greyed out questionable results, included both CP- and app-set AF results, skipped tiny inline shots in favor of very clear explanations of IQ differences, and included links to full-screen PNGs. The review was also well-organized and a managable size. It was a much more satisfying read than AT's, IMO.

RussSchultz said:
digitalwanderer said:
RussSchultz said:
horvendile said:
What's wrong with the previously opened thread on this topic?
Meh, the more threads pointing out a sell-out review the better. :)

I suspect you'll find a lot of people that disagree with you.

Me agreeing with Russ on something? Yep.

Don't see anything worthwhile added by a new and novel use of "anus", except the satisfaction of someone's completely off-topic amusement and venting of frustration.

On the other hand, my input as to an efficient, and well-established, way of pointing out such redundance successfully:

I just think this would be the best way to avoid a continuation of the "anus" part of the discussion, which seems a pretty desirable goal IMO.

The most important thing first : I like the word anus.

Secondly, this thread should go to another forum.

As for the Anand article itself, I find it a bit "odd" that there were comments (mostly criticisms) about the DX9 implementations in TRAOD... but that there were almost none for all those other games that were tested. Not that I disapprove of anyone voicing their opinions on such subjective topics (i.e. are the implementations good or bad?) but if Anand/Derek could spend as much time/pages as they did with expressing their opinions about TRAOD, why haven't they done the same with the rest of the games? Or is it because all those other games really have excellent API feature implementation that Anand/Derek knows about?

It's a bit strange to see three pages of explaining TRAOD. Perhaps there's a reason...

Philipp S. Gerasimov said:
cho said:
the "PS 2.0+" only works in opengl icd but never in d3d driver .

DX9:

PS_2_x with assembler = PS2.0+
PS_2_a with HLSL (with summer 2003 SDK update) = PS2.0+

PS_2_x is not equate ps 2.0+ in somewhere.

fp buffer, 1024 instructions slot ... they still only work in opengl icd .

anywy, i hope Rel55 d3d driver can offer truly fp render target format .

Johnny Rotten said:
I actually appreciated the review quite a bit. I find a lot of value in seeing how various card/driver combinations perform in a truly wide breadth of games. Dare I say more value in this than in a 400% frame magnification comparing 8X AF filtering modes or FSAA modes...

TRUE, and we don't need more stupid threads on the same topic.

edit: Rev TRAOD might have a lot of stuff written b/c it is bugy, all the past TR titles have been pathetically buggy so I would not be surprised.

horvendile said:

You want a response, you post something a lil on the edge...otherwise people look at it and say, "oh great another opinion on the same lame BS." Hence, why I went with something that a few more people would read. We live in a world where shock value is the only thing...if you don't have the headline, you don't have the readers/viewers.

Back