Separable SSS

High quality results with performance perfectly acceptable for application to any reasonable console/pc game, source code and demo, you rock!

wow how did you get the almost...zero aliasing look? looks very CGI once i turned down the bloom...love the smooth round head......no polygon seams.. i did managed to catch minor aliasing (nose bridge to lips), only when i positioned the head directly under the light ...facing right...interestingly...selecting the various AA type made no different..even at 16cfaa..still aliasing on the nose bridge...

this is the way LEO is meant to be imho..:oops:

So are there any barriers to applying this to an animated character moving arbitrarily through a game world?

I don't pretend to know anywhere near enough about programming to be able to work that out myself :oops:

Very nice (understatement!), and I like the music. What is the music on this and the SMAA video if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the comments!

@hoom, there are no barriers at all. The skin shader itselft is extremely cheap. Using a so tessellated geometry on a game is probably now possible in DX11. The quality of other effects can be turned down for slow spec computers. And, this is important, when a face is far away from the camera, the performance it takes is almost zero (as everything is done in screen-space). So I don't see any show stopper here :)

A lot of people noticed the problems with the overly high speculars and eyelashes, I'd like to fix that in a further iteration, at some point in the future.

After watching the video I expected perhaps 20 FPS on my GTX470. Actual results were min: 54, Max 104, Avg 74.33.

Congratulations. What a superb demo.

My avg was about the same as yours bigtabs. I have a GTX260 but only a 1440x900 monitor.

Well, it's far from Mass Effect film grain though it is a tiny bit too much for my liking. Probably fixes all manner of imperfections though.

Has anybody here tried it in stereo yet? If you turn off the specular (intensity to 0) it's almost perfect. I think it's actually the bloom on the specular highlights that breaks it. Any way to disable the bloom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back