NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xiaomi-mipad-review

Leadbetter has his review of the MiPad up. GPU is 2x as fast as the A7 in the retina iPad Mini in synthetics, but interestingly he believes in actual games the GPU is held back by the CPU and OS/drivers. I guess we'll see if the Denver based K1 can let the SMX spread its wings. Otherwise there needs to be a concerted effort to tackle CPU-overhead in Android as is being done on consoles, desktop, and iOS otherwise faster GPUs are going to go to waste. He says the battery-life is less efficient than the iPad Mini although he doesn't clarify. Being much faster makes it understandable though.

I enjoyed Richard's article and have told him so already. He's got an honest picture of a quite impressive device.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xiaomi-mipad-review

Leadbetter has his review of the MiPad up. GPU is 2x as fast as the A7 in the retina iPad Mini in synthetics, but interestingly he believes in actual games the GPU is held back by the CPU and OS/drivers. I guess we'll see if the Denver based K1 can let the SMX spread its wings. Otherwise there needs to be a concerted effort to tackle CPU-overhead in Android as is being done on consoles, desktop, and iOS otherwise faster GPUs are going to go to waste. He says the battery-life is less efficient than the iPad Mini although he doesn't clarify. Being much faster makes it understandable though.
They dont mention if they benchmarked with ART or DALVIK
on my phones theres a big difference in benchmarks ~33%, for dalvik though with android 4.5 I guessing this is gonna change heaps as ART is not been officially released, also battery life will change heaps 4.5

I'm pretty sure Android L will be named Android 5.0, not Android 4.5. The amount of changes in Android L are just too big to go for a 'simple' 0.1 version number change. It's looking like Android L may bring more changes to the android platform than ever before.

PCPer review of the Mi Pad: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile...d-Tablet-Review-Utilizing-NVIDIA-Tegra-K1-SoC

The CPU performance of Mi Pad is more than 2x faster than Nexus 7 (2013 variant with S600 SoC inside), and the GPU performance is more than 3x faster than Nexus 7 (and even up to ~ 6x faster in GFXBench 3.0 Manhattan Offscreen)! The platform power consumption with WiFi web browsing is ~ 1.3w higher, however, due to the higher res screen in Mi Pad and the much more powerful CPU/GPU in the TK1 SoC (note that the Mi Pad has a resolution of 2048x1536, Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1920x1200, Asus Memo 7 has a resolution of 1280x800, and Tegra Note 7 has a resolution of 1280x800)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shield Tablet is out:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/22/nvidia-shield-tablet/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8275/nvidia-launches-shield-tablet
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Tablet-Tegra-K1-and-SHIELD-Controller

and many many more...

interesting info from anandtech article:
Nvidia also showed off the improvements in games like Half Life 2 and Portal, which run full OpenGL rather than OpenGL ES as it did on Shield portable.
so Nvidia provides full OpenGL driver on Android ?

edit 2 : from pcper:
At launch on July 29th, NVIDIA will have 11 Tegra K1 ready games available for demo or for purchase. These are games that will ONLY run on Tegra K1 and utilize the full OpenGL API, rather than the more limited OpenGL ES that all other Android devices today utilize.

Nvidia is pushing very hard. Good to see gaming evolving on Android

So Half Life 2 and Portal are running the full OpenGL code path (with improved visuals) on the Shield tablet. Interesting.

I still don't get why this would be just a "gaming" tablet. This is just a really high performance pure Android tablet (with stylus) that has an optional gaming accessory (wireless controller). I think of this as a greatly improved version of Tegra Note 7 (ie. larger and higher res screen, much faster and more modern GPU, second gen stylus, improved Wifi + connectivity options, improved build quality, new accessories).

looking at the benchs posted by Ryan at pcper, he reached 72fps on T-Rex offscreen :oops:
it's way beyond Nvidia 60fps promise...

So Half Life 2 and Portal are running the full OpenGL code path (with improved visuals) on the Shield tablet. Interesting.

I still don't get why this would be just a "gaming" tablet. This is just a really high performance pure Android tablet (with stylus) that has an optional gaming accessory (wireless controller). I think of this as a greatly improved version of Tegra Note 7 (ie. larger and higher res screen, much faster and more modern GPU, second gen stylus, improved Wifi + connectivity options, improved build quality, new accessories).

I actually came to say just that.
It doesn't matter how nVidia is trying to spin it: this isn't a gaming tablet.

It's a tablet, period. And it doesn't have to excuse itself from being just a tablet because it has great features: great stereo external speakers, good screen, good size/weight, stylus input, the best SoC available, great price, etc.

But it's not a gaming tablet. A gaming tablet is the Razer Edge or Archos GamePad.
This Shield Tablet is just a tablet, and we can play games with this Shield Controller... or we could preferably buy a MOGA gamepad which probably is supported by a lot more games and works with any Android device (i.e. I don't have to throw it away if my next tablet happens to carry a Qualcomm chip).

If it needs a stand and I can't use gamepad controls while holding it, then I'd rather have a much more powerful laptop with Windows to play games.

Another weak point is their insistence on gamecasting. nVidia's gamecasting has been largely surpassed by Steam's own In-Home Streaming. Not only there's a huge difference in supported catalog, but Steam's solution also doesn't require a specific range of GPUs from only one vendor on the server side.
If I want to stream games, I'll be much better served with a Bay Trail tablet using Windows, with which people on Steam's forums have been claiming to work very well, even at 1080p.

nVidia created a great product, and now nVidia's marketing team is pushing all the wrong buttons.
This should be Tegra Note 2 or Tegra Note 8. Now hurry up and give us Shield 2.

looking at the benchs posted by Ryan at pcper, he reached 72fps on T-Rex offscreen :oops:
it's way beyond Nvidia 60fps promise...

Did he?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile...Utilizing-NVIDIA-Tegra-K1-SoC/GPU-Performance

gfxbench-trex_0.png

I can see 3102 frames here which should be around 55+ fps:

http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&os=Android&api=gl&D=Xiaomi%20MiPad

nVidia's marketing team is pushing all the wrong buttons.

Yeah I don't get it. Based on early commentary it seems the gaming focus is hurting more than helping its marketability. I understand the need to differentiate and target a certain demographic but still...it's really just a fast tablet that happens to be fast enough to play demanding games.

Maybe they aren't bothering with "regular" tablet use cases cause there are other K1 based devices in the pipeline to serve that market.

I'll probably be in the market for an 8-inch tablet later this year but I'm not big on tablet gaming. Give me more battery life please.

Yeah I don't get it. Based on early commentary it seems the gaming focus is hurting more than helping its marketability. I understand the need to differentiate and target a certain demographic but still...it's really just a fast tablet that happens to be fast enough to play demanding games.

Maybe they aren't bothering with "regular" tablet use cases cause there are other K1 based devices in the pipeline to serve that market.

I'll probably be in the market for an 8-inch tablet later this year but I'm not big on tablet gaming. Give me more battery life please.

I'm up for the Volantis for a number of reasons. Primary being that I really want to give a Google reference device a try this time.

Perhaps they expect a wave of cheaper 8-inch tablets this summer, hence the need to differentiate somehow.

I'm up for the Volantis for a number of reasons. Primary being that I really want to give a Google reference device a try this time.

My one and only problem with the Google devices is their anemic mass storage options, made synthetically in order to force users to use their cloud services.
My country doesn't provide unlimited 3G/4G services for less than 100€/month on 2 year contracts, and WiFi isn't everywhere so this is completely out of the question for me.

Maybe when the EU abolishes data roaming taxes I'll just get a british SIM card and be done with it, but until then I'll just have to live with whatever cartelized prices they practice here.

Either way, I can't have a tablet with just 16GB or 32GB of storage. Same thing with the smartphone, where I have >45GB of photos and movies made with the smartphone itself.

Back