NPD December 2011

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Stolen from Gaf:

Xbox 360: Over 1.7 Million (-8.6%) [Best selling platform for the full year.]
Wii: 1.06 Million (-55%)
PS3: ~936K (-22.6%) [Math from 46% of console sales are Xbox 360 and above numbers.]

Software:

December 2011 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
1.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** 1 Activision Blizzard
2.) Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) 2 Ubisoft
3.) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** 3 Bethesda Softworks
4.) Mario Kart 7 (3DS) 4 Nintendo
5.) Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** 5 Electronic Arts
6.) Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)** 6 Electronic Arts
7.) Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC) 7 Ubisoft
8.) NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC) 8 Take 2 Interactive
9.) Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) 9 Nintendo
10.) Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)** 10 Warner Bros. Interactive

Annual 2011 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
1.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** 1 Activision Blizzard
2.) Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3) 2 Ubisoft
3.) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** 3 Bethesda Softworks
4.) Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** 4 Electronic Arts
5.) Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)** 5 Electronic Arts
6.) Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)** 6 Activision Blizzard
7.) Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)** 7 Warner Bros. Interactive
8.) Gears of War 3 (360)** 8 Microsoft
9.) Just Dance 2 (Wii) 9 Ubisoft
10.) Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC) 10 Ubisoft

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Other Software Info:
-Just Dance 3 is the No. 1 Kinect game for Dec. 2011 – in addition to being No. 1 on Wii and PlayStation Move.
-During the month of December, Xbox 360 had seven of the top 10 console game titles including: “Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3,” Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim,” “Battlefield 3,” “Assassin’s Creed: Revelations,” “Just Dance 3,” “Kinect Sports Season Two” and “Dance Central 2,” (Source: NPD Group, December 2011). [Note: Microsoft PR statements generally do not account for handheld game sales.]
-“We get asked a lot about how Skylanders is performing. If you combine the sales of software bundles with the character packs which are tracked in the accessories category, the title would rank 4th in December, and 10th for Annual 2011 on dollar sales.”
-“Star Wars: The Old Republic was the 14th best-selling title in December, and it was released only on PC. While the collector’s edition sold less than the regular SKU, the SKU’s both generated about the same in dollar sales, thanks to a hefty price point that fans were willing to spend on this well-loved franchise.”
-“There is one title that would have fallen in the top 10 for December if we were ranking on an SKU basis rather than on a combined platform basis as we do now: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the 10th best selling software SKU for the month of December.”

PS3 almost (70k short) caught the Wii for the 12 months of 2011. (360 had ~60% more than either)

The kneejerks are saying these are horrible numbers and this gen is done. Not so much.. Q4 was bigger than last year for HD gaming.

November deals were just crazier than last year so that gave a taste what $200 pricepoint will do in 2012

Just to back that up.

2010 nov dec combined
Xbox360 3.23m
PS3 1.74m
Wii 3.63m

Xbox360 3.4m +5%
PS3 1.83m +5%
Wii 1.92 -47%

Interesting numbers.

Stolen from Gaf:

Xbox 360: Over 1.7 Million (-8.6%) [Best selling platform for the full year.]
Wii: 1.06 Million (-55%)
PS3: ~936K (-22.6%) [Math from 46% of console sales are Xbox 360 and above numbers.]

BTW - doesn't NPD's console numbers usually include handhelds? Which makes me wonder if those PS3 numbers or that X360 had 46% of the hardware numbers are correct. Anyways...

X360 is slightly disappointing, but not wholely unexpected with the economy in the shape it is.

Wii just emphasises how its downward trajectory is accelerating. But I still thought it would do much better than it did.

PS3...hugely disappointing, especially considering this is a holiday quarter which featured a price cut to kick things off. It appears the momentum from that didn't carry through more than about 2 months. And in the end the lower price wasn't enough to convince people to spend on it in this worsening economy.

Wish we had numbers for 3DS. The top 10 software charts suggest it may have done quite well. Speaking of which...

Nice to see 2 titles for 3DS in the top 10. Especially impressive as they are the only single SKU titles in the combined SKU top 10. Maybe reports of the death of 3DS were premature by some? :)

3 of X360's 7 top 10 single SKU titles were Kinect titles. So sales were strong as expected even if still not strong enough to break into the top 10 combined as single SKUs.

Not a bad showing for BF3 coming in 4th overall for 2011. Same goes for Gears 3 as it's a single SKU title. And same for Wii's Just Dance 2. COD: BO despite being launched last year, still made the overall top 10 for 2011, DANG!

Regards,
SB

It is interesting that both Sony and Microsoft had down Decembers, but their holiday sales were still up. The Black Friday brinkmanship being played by the retailers is really front loading Christmas sales to a huge degree. Doesn't seem like a sustainable trend. It would be really interesting to see if the money they all lose loss leading the weekend after Thanksgiving isn't just killing profits for every chain across the board (except GameStop who have the benefit of being a defacto pawn shop).

And PS3 should have gone strait to $199 like I told them, instead of the ticky-tacky $50 drop.

Black friday was certainly a black hole for sales numbers this year. November was also only a 4 week vs 5 week tracking period for December if I'm not mistaken. Still like others have pointed out the quarter numbers are fine, Wii is dropping hard, but still numbers are on par with PS3 and WiiU is coming. Both Sony and MS are up for the year.

I hate to put this out there, but I suspect that MS might have stuffed the channel a bit to get the WW lead they proclaimed. NPD puts their quarter sales at 3.79M for this Q4 vs 3.55M in 2010. WW shipments for the same periods looks to be around 8.4M vs 6.3M. Typically 360 has been getting majority of it's sales from it's home market. So either 360 has had a large boost in Europe or we are looking at something along the lines of 2006 again. Perhaps it's a bit of both?

edit: The shipments numbers for the year haven't been released yet and there is some speculation with roundings etc. but at the moment it looks like WW MS shipped 15.1M units vs 12.1M last year. 3M difference. NPD puts 360 sales for 2010 at 6.76M and 2011 at 7.24M. So out of that 3M growth only 0.48M(16 %) would have come from the market that has sold over 50% of the total units. 32.6M LTD NPD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when they claimed to have almost magically made it to 66 million shipped this week, channel stuffing certainly entered my mind.

I'm not so sure, it sounds like demand was higher than normal in Great Britain at least. Hard to say about the rest of Europe + Australia.

If MS overshipped for the Holiday quarter it'll be easily reflected during the next quarter which is still part of the same Fiscal Year (this past Holiday quarter is Q2 FY2012 for MS) for them so their FY 2012 (Holiday quarter is Q2 FY1012) will be unaffected.

Regards,
SB

Black friday was certainly a black hole for sales numbers this year. November was also only a 4 week vs 5 week tracking period for December if I'm not mistaken. Still like others have pointed out the quarter numbers are fine, Wii is dropping hard, but still numbers are on par with PS3 and WiiU is coming. Both Sony and MS are up for the year.

I hate to put this out there, but I suspect that MS might have stuffed the channel a bit to get the WW lead they proclaimed. NPD puts their quarter sales at 3.79M for this Q4 vs 3.55M in 2010. WW shipments for the same periods looks to be around 8.4M vs 6.3M. Typically 360 has been getting majority of it's sales from it's home market. So either 360 has had a large boost in Europe or we are looking at something along the lines of 2006 again. Perhaps it's a bit of both?

edit: The shipments numbers for the year haven't been released yet and there is some speculation with roundings etc. but at the moment it looks like WW MS shipped 15.1M units vs 12.1M last year. 3M difference. NPD puts 360 sales for 2010 at 6.76M and 2011 at 7.24M. So out of that 3M growth only 0.48M(16 %) would have come from the market that has sold over 50% of the total units. 32.6M LTD NPD.
MS also opened up Live in something like 9 new markets this last year (well, november 2010 technically, but still most effective for this last year). While I was vacationing in South Africa in November, I noticed the xbox was being heavily marketed and appeared quite popular in what was traditionally a heavily Sony dominated market. (South Africa was one of the new Live markets). I could see their numbers skewing to being less dominated by the US as new markets get opened up.

Although, what with the announcement at E3 that they were going to be the biggest seller this year, I would not put it past them to stuff a little to meet that prediction, they've done it before.

Interesting numbers.

BTW - doesn't NPD's console numbers usually include handhelds? Which makes me wonder if those PS3 numbers or that X360 had 46% of the hardware numbers are correct. Anyways...

Regards,
SB

You're shifting statements, the 46% share comes from MSFT who does not include handhelds in any numbers they convey.

Hardware revenues drop 28 percent year-over-year; software sales slide 14 percent with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 topping the charts.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/december-game-sales-tank-21-npd-6348572?tag=topstory;title

Last month, retailers in the US pulled in $3.99 billion in sales, according to the NPD Group. That's a 21 percent dip from the $5.07 billion posted for December of 2010. No segment of the industry took as proportionately big a dip as hardware sales, which shrank 28 percent year-over-year to $1.32 billion. Accessory sales were down 27 percent to $628.7 million, while software sales were as close to a bright spot as the month's numbers yielded, down just 14 percent to $2.04 billion.

It looks like no one could replace Wii's missing hardware and software numbers. Many casuals have moved elsewhere.

Software sales didn't drop as much, hopefully this means the user base are buying more games. Need to see digital sales too !

3DS software sales look splendid. Glad to see Nintendo turn around.

Software sales didn't drop as much, hopefully this means the user base are buying more games. Need to see digital sales too !

It's on Forbes now, but they have combined software sales number:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsav...deo-game-sales-drop-21-in-dec-off-8-for-2011/

...software was down 6% excluding PC software sales, or 8% with PC software. [I think this is still retail, no digital sales]

NPD said that total game spending in 2011 – including used games, game rentals, subscriptions, digital downloads, social games, mobile games and downloadable content – was between $16.3 billion to $16.6 billion, down about 2% from a year ago.

It looks like no one could replace Wii's missing hardware and software numbers. Many casuals have moved elsewhere.

Smartphones and tablets, and Facebook games maybe?

Or they could be playing with what they already own...

Back