Should i buy a new high end laptop?

jrodarq

Newcomer
should i buy a new high end laptop? i know all these new hardwares and gpu are coming out recently, but im really looking forward to buy a new laptop to do gaming and 3d rendering.. but im not patient at all and my actual pc is not working for me anymore. how long will it take to companies like MSI introduce all these new gpu and processors to their laptops? or other companies??!

I was about to say, sure, there are plenty of great offerings, but you mentioned 3D rendering combined with gaming. I would honestly wait for the 28nm GPUs to start filtering through the new laptop lines, especially the Nvidia ones in a few months given your interest in rendering.

ATI already is starting to produce 28nm GPU equipped laptops. I'm not sure how far along Nvidia is, but they seem pretty close to releasing their own as well... couple of months more tops I'd say.

In my opinion, a sweet all-purpose laptop today consists of:

- Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU
- 8-16GB RAM
- 28nm 1.5GB+ GPU
- 2+ USB 3.0 ports
- 15in.+ LED display
- 90GB+ SSD + 500GB+ HDD
- Blu-ray/DVD+RW drive
- Led-lit keyboard

Sounds like a lot, but today's laptops this is easily had in the $2k range... dare I say $1.5k range in some special cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend getting a cheaper netbook based on something like the brazos platform and building yourself a nicer desktop. You'll save money, have more fun, and end up w/ more of the relevant functionality you seek in each system.

I'd recommend getting a cheaper netbook based on something like the brazos platform and building yourself a nicer desktop. You'll save money, have more fun, and end up w/ more of the relevant functionality you seek in each system.

Good policy, that's what I am doing atm... though I do dream of the days of a portal "everything".

The battery on my 14z is pretty much useless now and I refuse to pay for a new one. Will upgrade to one of those ultrabook thingies this summer. Hoping to see Trinity based offerings that give Ivy some competition.

I second the suggestion to get an el cheapo laptop...and invest most of your money on a desktop. That is what I have done and now I have a beast of a rig...just need ssd and new vid cards!

if only for gaming, not for 3D rendering.
my friend got ASUS laptop about 500-600USD already can play games at 720p all max.

i think it use nvidia 540 or something.

I was about to say, sure, there are plenty of great offerings, but you mentioned 3D rendering combined with gaming. I would honestly wait for the 28nm GPUs to start filtering through the new laptop lines, especially the Nvidia ones in a few months given your interest in rendering.

ATI already is starting to produce 28nm GPU equipped laptops. I'm not sure how far along Nvidia is, but they seem pretty close to releasing their own as well... couple of months more tops I'd say.

In my opinion, a sweet all-purpose laptop today consists of:

- Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU
- 8-16GB RAM
- 28nm 1.5GB+ GPU
- 2+ USB 3.0 ports
- 15in.+ LED display
- 90GB+ SSD + 500GB+ HDD
- Blu-ray/D
track.php
VD+RW drive
- Led-lit keyboard

Sounds like a lot, but today's laptops this is easily had in the $2k range... dare I say $1.5k range in some special cases.

Back