Reasonable quality PC speakers

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
So when I was younger (and single) and always used to get high quality speakers for my PC gaming but my PC budget has always been mediocre single marriage and kids came along ;)

I'd like to get good quality 2.1 speakers again, especially for when Diablo 3 is released as the sound effects in that are fantastic. I think Skyrim will be a better experience with higher fidelity and better range as well, especially the music.

Years and years ago I managed to test a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 for a friend and I was extremely impressed by the fidelity, especially at higher volume (damn those things could get loud!). I noticed that they are still available and reasonably priced here in the US ($150). From some casual research lately, it seems there isn't much around in that price range (100-200) that could really compare and they are in fact my best choice for a 2.1 setup.

Any thoughts?

I've read some threads and article about M-Audio low ends being very good for sound reproduction, and that subwoofers aren't really needed for them.

Amazon has this version for $120 but they are 15w instead of 20w on the apparent previous version of them which are $180. Or the AV30 over at Newegg for $100? I think the 4" driver on the AV40 would be a better buy though.

They don't seem too large either, I'll definitely consider them instead of the Klipsch, thanks!

I have two full range speakers myself at the moment (although with 6.5' drivers, true). Indeed, no need for sub-woofer (they bass sounds way better(more clear & less noisy) than the desktop sub-woofers that creative sells, for instance).

The creative "Cambridge Soundworks" range are actually pretty good
ps: if your after speakers why only 2.1 ?

I've read some threads and article about M-Audio low ends being very good for sound reproduction, and that subwoofers aren't really needed for them.

I cant imagine that to be true
frequency response: 85 Hz – 20 kHz
85hz is pretty high. full range speakers should be 20hz - 20khz

I don't want a full surround sound setup for my PC, I don't have the layout nor desire for it, I have that for both my entertainment setups.

Normal bookshelf speakers can't do 20Hz, that requires large drivers and I don't want bookshelf speakers that have 6-8" drivers, they would be huge. You're thinking of sound cards which can output that, speakers don't work like that.

Your equivalent priced Cambridge Soundworks for instance has a 4" driver in the subwoofer (both the M-audio speakers have 4" drivers) and utilises the design of the woofer to try and achieve around 50hz (which I doubt it achieves). 20Hz is very low and usually only achievable with good subwoofers matched with appropriate layout. I definitely don't need 20Hz for PC gaming and music.

The $350 cambridge Soundworks satellites start at 100Hz and the subwoofer extends down to 32Hz with an 8.5" driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant imagine that to be true
frequency response: 85 Hz – 20 kHz
85hz is pretty high. full range speakers should be 20hz - 20khz

I have to say that in this price range 85Hz is more reasonable and probably more honest.
Many cheap speakers claiming to be able to produce 20Hz actually can't. It requires a lot of power to produce anything useful under 50Hz, and in many case the power supply alone is more expensive than a set of cheap speakers.

I got the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s, I likes 'em a lot! :)

Sure they go loud enough for me to listen to music from across the house in, but I like their low end. I can play them softly balanced and clear, which is generally how I use 'em.

I don't know about the M-audio solutions, I remember looking at them but worrying they wouldn't be powerful enough, but I can heartily recommend the Klipschs, they're phenomenal!

Well no, I was thinking of my headphones
they do 3hz - 28khz

Headphones are completely different matter though. Remember, a headphone only needs to produce sound for your ears (which are, in most cases, a very limited space), while a set of speakers need to produce sound for a room.

When I looked for 2.1 speaker setups I just couldn't find a smaller receiver for such a setup, only huge 9.2 pieces or something. I didn't want only 2.0, I mean Stereo :) either, because Dolby Digital tracks usually discard the LFE channel if there are not all surround speakers present. Again the solution would be getting a huge multichannel AVR with sophisticated bass management, or some expensive sound processor, and even then they'd likely just discard the LFE if there were no subwoofer or surround speakers there.

85Hz is an honest figure and it works because these speakers are made for placement close to a wall and being near the listener. This extends their bass output much lower to about 60Hz, which is enough for most music and effects. For sub-bass further down you'll need a subwoofer, and sitting at a desk close to a wall, very low frequencies would sound bad anyway. Those so-called subwoofers smaller than 10" never actually reproduce anything useful below 40Hz but harmonic distortion at twice the frequency, which feels "louder" - also that chest-thump you usually want doesn't come from the subwoofer.

So I went with the AV40s and set them up tonight. Very happy with them, excellent clarity. I don't think I'll miss the subwoofer with these.

Thanks for the suggestion!

On the other hand, I stumbled upon the M-Audio BX8 D2s and they are pretty cheap as well. Donno If I can resist upgrading my Creative Itrigue 2.1 to them.. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad you're satisfied, Malo!

Any reason why you didn't go with the BX5 D2 or BX5a? The latter are only $150 for a pair.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioBX5D2New.html

The AV40s are more designed as computer speakers including shielding. The BX series are solely designed as monitors. I'm not an expert enough to determine whether that is a significant factor or not and the AV40s are definitely good enough for me.

Was playing some Diablo III and Skyrim last night. I was astounded at the difference, especially in Skyrim. All the ambient sounds, footsteps, special effects sounds were so clear, I didn't even realize they were there on my old speakers.

I doubt you actually need shielded speakers anymore as people don't use CRT monitors these days, except maybe in specialized parts of the movie business MAYBE. They've probably all moved on to LCDs too though...

Well since cones have decent size magnets on them and I regularly have my phones, usb drives, SD cards etc sitting next to the speakers, maybe it can't hurt to be shielded :)

But are they indeed? I've seen quite a lot of magnetically shielded speakers. However, I would always hear the cell phone before being called. Not as loud as non shielded speakers, though.

Back