AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

edit : duh confused now. Guess you mean the Nvidia cards? :D

That's a thought too, AMD is homing in on the 9000's again, wonder how they are going to be named.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously doubt they'll be releasing 8000 or 9000 on the retail desktop, but rather change the naming on "next full family" because they've had OEM 8000-series out for so long and new desktop chip(s) released as 7000-series on desktop after those had been introduced, and jumping straight to 9000 on retail desktop would just seem silly.

Didn't Nvidia do the same with rebrands a few gens ago?

edit - it was back at the 400 series where they had a bunch of different OEM and normal desktop SKU's with the same name. 430-460 had both OEM and normal desktop SKU's.

I don't see why AMD won't go with the normal 8000 series on desktop just because they have 8000 series (OEM) on desktop.

Also remember the point that was made about mobile having "up to date" names instead of lagging behind desktop. If the new desktop GPU's have a new name or 9000 then once again mobile will be lagging behind.

I was looking my 2x ATI 9700Pro Maya edition + my 2x 9800Pro laying in a shelf here, and sudenly i ask me.. 9000 series for AMD ? ( dont ask me why i keep them.. ( note they still work, their twins not ( killed on overlcocking )

On the left, the gigabyte 9700Pro Maya edition, on the right, the 9800.. ( sorry for the quality i have just take right now the photo )

edit : duh confused now. Guess you mean the Nvidia cards? :D
Aye. ;) Damn good cards they were too, real grunt in those GPUs. Can run Skyrim 1440P@60fps without any overclocking at all (at least in SLI; didn't test stand-alone) as long as you knock down shadows and textures to not flood the (comparatively to today) paltry 768MB framebuffer...

I was looking my 2x ATI 9700Pro Maya edition + my 2x 9800Pro laying in a shelf here
Ooh, yes that 9800Pro was an awesome vidcard as well. I have one just like that one laying around somewhere - except with the floppy power connector I think. Those DDR RAM chips on it ran scorching hot though! Jesus. I put some sinks on 'em and that did wonders together with an additional fan blowing air sideways across the card. The RAM overclocked like crazy afterwards, although I can't remember now how far I could push it. Considerably above stock though.

Too bad this board used AGP, but of course pretty much nothing new would run on it anyway these days with just 128MB framebuffer and ancient drivers...

Just like there is already new 7k and 8k series, add HD to it and you are done with the past.

No, i was just ask me if AMD ( possibly with Volcanic Island ) wanted to do a little renewal of the 9000 series from AMD .

They have the capacity for do it with GCN as bases. This mArch is really competitive in term of computing power, and with some little modificaction with the L2 cache,... The arch need a bit more balance and a little better front end, but otherwise, this is really a strong base.

No, i was just ask me if AMD ( possibly with Volcanic Island ) wanted to do a little renewal of the 9000 series from AMD.

If you mean renewal of success of R3x0 generation, then strong architecture is but one necessary condition, the other is Nvidia making a serious mistake.

had another look at it. If it's indeed faked it's extremely good. Not saying it's a 8970 ofcourse, could be a new high quality reference/oem model, maybe mostly made as a firepro (except that this is one is with radeon stickers), or a potential "7980" 770 counter card that may not see the light of the day.
Sure the design closely assembles Malta, but that's natural if it belongs to the same family. And all the changes (2 cf fingers, a fan less, new cut out after the power connectors, new rounded ending shape of the shield) look really convincing, both shape and pixel wise.

All that pic shows is a cooling solution based on malta.
Has it been shopped? if so please link me to the evidence proving that it has been shopped.

Everything but the third fan is identical, down to every reflection. The odds of that happening in real life are very, very low.

Back