AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

There's no mention of the SPs at all there. It could be a faked OC of anything 7000 series with the 8800 series at the top photoshopped. The image is low quality after all.

Isn't it a bit early to expect Radeon 8000 series leaks? Unless that's a picture of an OEM Radeon 8000 card.

Yes and no .. the Sea Island are surely allready ready.. they was allready ready 1 year ago .. But i think AMD and Nvidia have a bit change their plan between this .

Whatever it is calling.. Initial developpement, and the products teams are not the same . This said, i doubt, there's Sea Island Developement card who can be in the wild and specially Asus Tweaker can recognize them .

From Phoronix: "Open-Source AMD Driver Gets "Hainan" GPU Support."

A few months back AMD provided initial AMD Radeon HD 8000 series Linux support for their open-source driver. Being committed across the various repositories today is now the Hainan support.

The open-source AMD Hainan enablement isn't anything huge and exciting but is just building upon earlier work. The commits today are basically introducing the family name and product PCI IDs. As shown with the DDX driver, the initial Hainan PCI IDs are 0x6660, 0x6663, 0x6664, 0x6665, 0x6667, and 0x666F.
I've been wondering where Hainan went… I thought it might have been canceled or merged with a VI chip.

From Phoronix: "Open-Source AMD Driver Gets "Hainan" GPU Support."

I've been wondering where Hainan went… I thought it might have been canceled or merged with a VI chip.
The interesting thing (if you look at the code) is that Hainan has no display controllers (and no UVD) - essentially looks like Mars/Oland but with that (and 1 CU) stripped off. Though I might have got that information about CUs wrong but it decidedly looks like low-end.

What is this, some kind of crossfire gpu for the 25W Kabini SoC?

edit - seems unlikely, I guess it would be still a bit more powerful than a 2 CU Kabini.

Last edited by a moderator:
TPU seems to have some data:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1905/radeon-hd-8550m.html
A new tape-out just for ~20mm² smaller chip than Oland/Mars?

I thought Oland was about 85mm², so 52mm² would be quite some reduction.
That said I could believe the die size and transistor count of this sun chip, but the rest of the data in there is garbage. HD8550M (like the rest of HD85xxM) is just Oland with 64bit MC.
Sun/Hainan has only 5 CUs, no display controllers and UVD, and near certainly only one quad-rop.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1963/radeon-hd-8870.html

And this description of Hainan is clearly on the nose! These fantasy web descriptions have been around for a long time, and they are just that - fantasy.
This is true.

I cannot ever remember seeing TPU being the source for leaked GPU spec rumours. The specs they listed could be made-up by almost anyone in this forum or basically anyone who follows GPU specifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1963/radeon-hd-8870.html

And this description of Hainan is clearly on the nose! These fantasy web descriptions have been around for a long time, and they are just that - fantasy.

What was it, as it's now deleted?

Totally guilty as a fantasy-descriptor or more-so spec-assumer, but I truly fail to see what makes sense other than 1792. Be it something like 800/5000 in mobile (super power efficient) to ~1100/7000 (top-end of a realistic reference clock plus fastest available ram) on the desktop, it simply makes the most sense. The real question is when ya'll feel is the right time to set it upon the world given the current niche of Tahiti variants, or perhaps both Tahiti and Pitcairn. The current stack wins on either value and/or performance with Pitcairn having to be the cash cow; the new stack could be more efficient with units/bw and fit certain TDPs great, but perhaps settle in odd niches compared to competing products diminishing their ASP/margin. If it were the case, one could see the hesitancy to replace 7000; essentially spending more money to sit in the same performance hierarchy (although with better relative performance) because of tdp differences.

The stock clocks of 770 (and leaks of a product to settle between 660ti/670) all-but-cemented this as AMD's plan at some point in my mind. In fact, 770 is straight-up obviously built in anticipation of exactly that...would not be surprised if 760 is similar. It's pretty tough to say GK104 at 1085/7000 and a greater than 225w TDP (for overclocking) is not looking for a niche between 7970, which absolute performance it will be difficult to beat given the unit/bus setup, and such a part as described that would be more efficient within 225w because better die size/clock/bandwidth engineering. Same goes for 1536sp and relatively low clocks vs 6SMX and higher clocks. Ya'll would be more efficient within 150w, but nvidia will probably shoot against the TDP of Pitcairn. I could see how with nvidia organizing their stack like that new products may fail to perform better while perhaps being more expensive to produce than the products they are replacing one market up in the current stack. I just hope we end up with efficient products rather than products (perhaps held so they can be) shoe-horned to compete or mangled because of market conditions relative to the older stack.

That means: I want a Bonaire with 7ghz ram that competes with 650tiB. I want a 150w Hainan that kills anything else in that segment. I don't want a 6ghz Bonaire because it is cheaper and/has a niche/because 7850 exists. I don't want a 150-225w 6ghz/1536sp-1792 part because it competes better with >660 or because it is cheaper while still competing with 660ti+...7870XT/7950 can do that.

I'm not saying it's not possible you're planning something else, or that if it was ever the plan it has changed, but in my mind I certainly can see the possible predicament and conceivably the different directions this could be going.

Point being, outside of clocks/memory choice/tdp placement, I find it really difficult for anyone to argue spec. We all know precisely what these products need to be...including nvidia.

Point being, outside of clocks/memory choice/tdp placement, I find it really difficult for anyone to argue spec. We all know precisely what these products need to be...including nvidia.
Maybe you missed it but Hainan/Sun is confirmed as ultra-low-end chip below Mars/Oland...
No idea though if there will be a chip along the lines you described, I have no idea what AMDs plans are, that low-end chip below Mars/Oland was a complete surprise to me too.

Back