AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

PhysX - Dead.

Image Qual - Debateable.

Drivers - Debateable.

Fame - Yeah, mostly this one.

PhysX: uh, Borderlands 2, likely the best selling TakeTwo game ever, was released late last year with headlining PhysX support. plus, Batman AC the year before.

Drivers: The current frame latency issues disagree with you.

PhysX: uh, Borderlands 2, likely the best selling TakeTwo game ever, was released late last year with headlining PhysX support. plus, Batman AC the year before.

1 good game a year and no longer an issue, your points :?:

Sorry, but it took Nvidia 3 months to resolve the v-sync stuttering, while AMD fixed the latency issues within 5 weeks. This situation hardly demonstrates worse AMD's driver support.

Woah, wait, are you saying that in two years, there were two games with PhysX support!?!?! I stand corrected, at the impressive rate of one game per year with PhysX support things are surely looking up for PhysX!

Wait, how many games are released in a year? ;)

Sorry, but it took Nvidia 3 months to resolve the v-sync stuttering, while AMD fixed the latency issues within 5 weeks. This situation hardly demonstrates worse AMD's driver support.

You're acting like the latency issues are A. newly introduced. B. Are all fixed. More than 3 games demonstrate them, and only three games have been fixed. In addition, they have been in the drivers since about 12.8 or so.

As for the PhysX thing: I am just being a pedantic bastard like I always am. if it was dead, there'd be no new games, and yet there are.

This year there are more than 3 : Hawken , Metro 2 , PlanetSide 2 ..

I happen to play Planetside 2, and no, it does not support PhysX. While we're making fake lists though, I hear that Crysis 3 supports ATI's BaconSupreme FX proton acceleration, which is the newest and best thing ever in video cards. Also, you listed 3(one of which isn't true), but said there are more than 3...?

You're acting like the latency issues are A. newly introduced. B. Are all fixed. More than 3 games demonstrate them, and only three games have been fixed. In addition, they have been in the drivers since about 12.8 or so.

As for the PhysX thing: I am just being a pedantic bastard like I always am. if it was dead, there'd be no new games, and yet there are.

Ok, to be more accurate, we'll say its on low level life support, brain dead, but still kept alive by machines. :p

Ok, to be more accurate, we'll say its on low level life support, brain dead, but still kept alive by machines. :p

There we go!

It's really sad no Open CL version of PhysX ever existed. It coulda done a lot to improve visuals, as stuff like BL 2 seems to indicate(I used it once with BL2 and I swear my GPU tried to kill itself, but it is very pretty!). Nvidia hamstrung it though, by making it proprietary on the PC space. :(

I happen to play Planetside 2, and no, it does not support PhysX. While we're making fake lists though, I hear that Crysis 3 supports ATI's BaconSupreme FX proton acceleration, which is the newest and best thing ever in video cards. Also, you listed 3(one of which isn't true), but said there are more than 3...?

(Also at least in case of first Metro, GPU PhysX were actually slower than CPU PhysX running the exact same effects if you had just 1 GPU)

There we go!

It's really sad no Open CL version of PhysX ever existed. It coulda done a lot to improve visuals, as stuff like BL 2 seems to indicate(I used it once with BL2 and I swear my GPU tried to kill itself, but it is very pretty!). Nvidia hamstrung it though, by making it proprietary on the PC space. :(

I don't know the state of CPU Physx but it was said to be single threaded and using x87 code. So, forget about Open CL maybe (I don't think Open CL is great anyway and maybe using Direct Compute would make more sense in a game), it's possibly artificially and very crippled on the CPU - and when you can have some CPU PhysX stuff, the nice bits can't be enabled and are wired to be GPU only.

I remember running the Ageia demos on my lowly PC, it was pretty fun!, the really demanding stuff wit hundreds of bodies would be a slideshow though.
I've found it!, it was the Novodex Rocket Physics demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWLmUGCsBA
I had the XP 2400+ with ti4200 I believe. Destroying towers was fun and playing with the cloth was eerily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physx on borderlands 2 is horrible most people in forums recommend turning it off because it absolutely tanks performance. If any of you have actually played the game you'd know this.

The effects look totally unrealistic and actually takes you out from the immersion of the game. Water moves more like oil sludge and has the capacity to violate the laws of physics, ignoring friction and having infinite momentum. And the effects are so sparse you actually have to go out of your way to look for them. The only decent effect is the cloth tearing and swaying in the air, but that gets old quick.

P.S: The worst part is that you cannot turn Physx completely OFF, the best you can do is turn them down to low. So AMD users pay a performance tax courtesy of Nvidia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure Nvidia only persists with PhysX through stubbornness. Clearly no dev is ever going to add PhysX by choice, considering the half-finished nature of many games on release.

Even the tech press doesn't buy it anymore. Honestly what is the point.

Physx on borderlands 2 is horrible most people in forums recommend turning it off because it absolutely tanks performance. If any of you have actually played the game you'd know this.

The effects look totally unrealistic and actually takes you out from the immersion of the game. Water moves more like oil sludge and has the capacity to violate the laws of physics, ignoring friction and having infinite momentum. And the effects are so sparse you actually have to go out of your way to look for them. The only decent effect is the cloth tearing and swaying in the air, but that gets old quick.

P.S: The worst part is that you cannot turn Physx completely OFF, the best you can do is turn them down to low. So AMD users pay a performance tax courtesy of Nvidia.

Uh, physx on low in BL2 basically is off. AMD folks don't pay a performance tax at all.

There we go!

Microsoft might be cooking up something like DirectPhysics for DirectX 12.

I happen to play Planetside 2, and no, it does not support PhysX. While we're making fake lists though, I hear that Crysis 3 supports ATI's BaconSupreme FX proton acceleration, which is the newest and best thing ever in video cards.
It was in the beta , now it is disabled , and will be enabled in a patch :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJlTUgZTT8

If you are too lazy to search for Hawken and Metro2 then it is your problem not mine .
Also, you listed 3(one of which isn't true), but said there are more than 3...?
Yep reports of another game called Warframe:
http://physxinfo.com/news/10406/online-shooter-warframe-to-feature-gpu-physx-support/

I am sorry but this entirely subjective , on Medium it runs fine and the fluid effects are disabled leaving behind the much better particle effects .

Incorrect. Medium still has all the water effects. If you even have the game, go to Bloodshot Stronghold and get to the water pipes/huge whirlpool area located right after the first check point then watch your framerate tank.

Back