AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Yup, I see your point, it's quite reasonable. But, imagine that NV is as crafty and they decide to wait for what AMD would like to offer... Should we wait for the eternity that someone decides to take the first step?

FX-series failure has nothing to do with XBox
Not directly, but it's quite possible the resources diverted to the Xbox project impacted the schedule of the FX-series. I paraphrase, but Nvidia's CEO has made comments about how draining it is to make a console chip in addition to normal products.

Yup, I see your point, it's quite reasonable. But, imagine that NV is as crafty and they decide to wait for what AMD would like to offer... Should we wait for the eternity that someone decides to take the first step?

AMD already has the better value cards especially with the never settle bundle. Sooner or later the public must surely wake up to this? Who would pay more for a 680 over a 7970 GHz edition with the current game bundle for example?

AMD's cards are older yes, but they still hold the value proposition. Ok at the top end they lose on power draw, but generally they are faster and cheaper than their Nvidia counterparts so in an ideal world it would be Nvidia who has to do something to change their fortunes.

It's far from ideal clearly, but what else can they do? Instead of releasing 15-20% faster now, release 35-40% faster down the line. They can wait to see what Nvidia has and react to that instead of the other way around.

Then again, maybe this is their way of saying "fuck you" to the OEM's who have been preferring Kepler over the past two quarters for no apparent reason other than it comes with an Nvidia badge. Who knows?

Yeah , it is quite obvious AMD is not selling well , as the insane games bundles evidently shows , however .. letting your opponent grab the lead on all levels will make matters even worse .. what AMD is doing is avoiding even more losses by taking more losses ! if you know what I mean .

Not directly, but it's quite possible the resources diverted to the Xbox project impacted the schedule of the FX-series. I paraphrase, but Nvidia's CEO has made comments about how draining it is to make a console chip in addition to normal products.

Have allredy see the Nvidia leader say, "its our fault " ..lol

AMD already has the better value cards especially with the never settle bundle. Sooner or later the public must surely wake up to this? Who would pay more for a 680 over a 7970 GHz edition with the current game bundle for example?

Hardcore gamers or have the cards or have the games. I just think is better to discount 30€ in price, than to give 60€ in games.

Hardcore gamers or have the cards or have the games. I just think is better to discount 30€ in price, than to give 60€ in games.

Not if the cost to them for the games is less than that. And those titles aren't all out yet so...

Exactly - these are future AAA titles we're talking about here. According to Fud it cost AMD $4 million for FC3 - http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30412-amd-spent-up-to-$4-million-on-far-cry-3-bundle

Reading stuff in that article like "AMD’s high end cards might not win head to head against Nvidia in sheer performance numbers, so the bundle should offer a bit more bang for buck." don't exactly help. AMD should be sanctioning these websites that are going against the grain, get tough with them because they've got nothing to lose anyway.

Is it possible that AMD doesn't have anymore technical and financial capability of launching anything new in future?
The slide doesn't go to less granulatity than "product series"; that leaves a lot of wiggle room. Beside, new products have been launched recently and the slides indicate that there will be more in the near future.

Hardcore gamers or have the cards or have the games.
Thats the point of hitting the channel before the game is launched, as much as possible. And if people already had the cards then there would be no sales anyway, which isn't the case!

Yeah , it is quite obvious AMD is not selling well , as the insane games bundles evidently shows , however ..
Thats obvious, is it? This is why Rory singled out channel shipment and ASP growth for GPU in the CC (partly attributed to "Never Settle).

Thats the point of hitting the channel before the game is launched, as much as possible. And if people already had the cards then there would be no sales anyway, which isn't the case!
Good in some ways, not so much others. The consumer loses some of the immediate gratification on purchase having to wait for the games to be released. Not a huge point, but a true point none-the-less that I would take in to consideration.

Good in some ways, not so much others. The consumer loses some of the immediate gratification on purchase having to wait for the games to be released. Not a huge point, but a true point none-the-less that I would take in to consideration.
With digital downloads that the case anyway.

Best way of ensuring the maximum value is to hot it up as early as possible. These titles will be on a lot more peoples "planned purchase list" so, to those, having it early is more likely to account for the full retail value of the game off the cost of the board.

The slide doesn't go to less granulatity than "product series"; that leaves a lot of wiggle room. Beside, new products have been launched recently and the slides indicate that there will be more in the near future.

Those slides were about mobile graphics as far as I recall. Can they be extrapolated to include their desktop counterparts?

In any case, AMD's communication once again really blows. If anyone will listen, you might want to mention that.

Maybe this "predictability" of the yearly launches isn't working either. I was Osborned by 8-series since last October when I almost bought a 7950 but thought it was too late. You can see how this isn't good for the company, if you assume that the vast majority of buyers are enthusiasts who generally have some kind of clue as to the usual release schedule.

AMD's newest bundle is enticing - if there was any justice then it's Nvidia who would see sales plummet over the coming quarters, but we all know there is very little justice in this industry.

So you were misusing the word justice... ok.

No.

jus·tice (j
ubreve.gif
s
prime.gif
t
ibreve.gif
s)n.1. The quality of being just; fairness.
2. a. The principle of moral rightness; equity.
b. Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.

3. a. The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.
b. Law The administration and procedure of law.

4. Conformity to truth, fact, or sound reason: The overcharged customer was angry, and with justice.

Yes. What you described were logical reasons for a consumer to select/prefer AMD hardware. There may also be logical reasons for consumers to select/prefer Nvidia hardware. If a consumer decides to buy Nvidia hardware despite the reasons you have listed, then they may have reasons of their own for preferring Nvidia hardware. At no point has an unjust action taken place. There is nothing unfair about a consumer choosing to buy Nvidia hardware despite the reasons you outlined.

Back