AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

If you look at what the x264 guy got, it's quite clear that "Kaveri" is going to launch. Just that it's actually Richland that is actually PD which isn't PD but might be PD. Having spent the past few months working with a Trinity powered laptop (that thankfully also has some GCN discrete in), I can't say it's an update that I'd mind, if it included GCN cores (if it's just a tuned Trinity meh).

I've got parts that never saw public light of day, but I hear what you're saying.

I don't know what Richland will be, 28nm Trinity but the GPU replaced? AMD really needed GCN in Trinity, and it'll be a must have in next series of APU launches. This is especially true if Kaveri is moved to 2014 and not dead.

I'm hopeful AMD can turn things around and get to profitability and begin growing again. My outlook is negative nelly right now, most likely because I don't have the full picture. /shrug Those that go to CES and see the goodies can inspire the rest of us :)

Eh, GCN is nice and PD wouldn't be that bad if the power consumption was about half of what it is now... If Kaveri is 2014 and still steamroller cores, I think it is going to be too little too late.

Availability so that anyone who wanted one could get one didn't happen till after the 7950 launched from what I could tell at the time, obviously you've got better info on numbers etc.
Patently false. I had no issues ordering a HD7970 from NewEgg right at launch. No delays in shipping either.

Nearly everything will get HSA, including ARM .. That was the whole point of AMD when they have create the HSA Fundation .

I suposse, and Charly should also,that if kaveri is delayed is because many of its men resources are now geared towards console cpus...

The releas schedule was never Q4. Someone made up romours that they may arrive in Q4, then when actual info starts to surface about a possible launch, everyone says that they are now delayed... from that speculative date, as if it was official.

People predicted Q4 because of when the sales bubble is. Might be a better strategy to launch in Q2 to have mature drivers, supply, promotions etc. in place for late Q3 and throughout Q4, plus possible Holiday Special edition models (PE or XTX or OMGWTFBBQSauce etc.).

And what means GCN 2.0 <> enhanced GCN?. 8000 series will have a GCN shaders major overhaul ?. Maybe this is the interesting part Dave was refering to...

March / April time frame isn't a new rumor, it's kinda expected. I notice that there has been absolutely no word on GPU tape outs for either side.... did both companies get that much better at keeping that quiet? We should have heard about it before now. Maybe nobody's looking?

Perhaps... :D
But that doesn't stop sites to post "fresh" articles about specs.

Possible specs AMD Radeon HD 8000 surface

http://uk.hardware.info/news/31864/possible-specs-amd-radeon-hd-8000-surface

And what means GCN 2.0 <> enhanced GCN?

You mean why they are different.
Well, probably because Enhanced GCN is version 1.1 or something.

These are the same speculative specs that 3DC "invented" some 6 months ago...

Edit:
Okay, not exactly the same, there is new stuff out there.

Patently false. I had no issues ordering a HD7970 from NewEgg right at launch. No delays in shipping either.
Patently false? Just because you were able to get one does not mean that he's wrong. The 7000 series cards absolutely suffered from supply issues at launch, though they were much less severe than the 680 unavailability.

www.anandtech.com/show/5319/amd-radeon-hd-7970-launch-recap

Your inane anecdote doesn't belong here. You could have done what many sensible people do -- google it.

Patently false? Just because you were able to get one does not mean that he's wrong. The 7000 series cards absolutely suffered from supply issues at launch, though they were much less severe than the 680 unavailability.

www.anandtech.com/show/5319/amd-radeon-hd-7970-launch-recap

Your inane anecdote doesn't belong here. You could have done what many sensible people do -- google it.
AnandTech said:
as of this writing it's sold out practically everywhere
So it wasn't sold out everywhere, which means availability, yes? As I said, I had no issues on Newegg. I went to the site, chose one of the available boards (mine's a Sapphire), clicked "Buy" and it arrived a couple of days later. Maybe if you wanted a particular brand there were some issues, but if you're not picky (like me) then I don't recall any problems. I recall more issues with HD5870 as the only board available at the time I ordered mine was the XFX XXX Black Edition board, which cost more than the stock boards.

Back