AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

People here have really gotten angry with AMD as of late... Even as someone who mostly prefers Nvidia it's beginning to bug me.

Do you have an argument that is more solid than "it feels wrong / you're big meanies?". Because there are a number of things that AMD has done to get people "angry", as you call it, which in practice is something far less satisfying than anger. In effect, perhaps this is a worthy line to investigate in a separate thread:idea:

People here have really gotten angry with AMD as of late... Even as someone who mostly prefers Nvidia it's beginning to bug me.

People have been disappointed by AMD and that's exactly what they're showing - disappointment. You're making it sound as if they are angry for no reason.

For the record I think the disappointment stems from the fact that they delivered really well on (graphics) hardware this gen, it's the software and particularly marketing that is really a let down. I really have no idea how Nvidia managed to steal the mindset of consumers while being late to the party...

Ironically nobody is looking at the genuinely useful part of that post.
That would be which part?
I thought the Kabini versions with the different TDP classes were already known.
12W 2C
5W 2C
17 W 4C
17W 4C (N-1) ???
25W 4C

Or do you refer to something else?

Why? Genuinely curious here about the difference between HPL and HP (it is related to the process, isn't it?)
HPL is way slower than HP. I don't know how much lower the maximum frequency of mobile Radeon chips are compared to their desktop counterparts, but if it's less than, say, 50% slower, then HPL is unlikely.

The village idiot once breathlessly reported that AMD was about to release its SI line sometime September 2011 because of a secret weapon called HPM, which is somewhat in the middle between HPL and HP, but even that piece of news was very suspect, as usual when technical knowledge is required. We all know SI was soft launched end of 2011 and the HPM story was never confirmed. Given that it has clock speeds over 1GHz and power consumption that's not spectacularly better than Nvidia, I know how I'd wager my money on that one.

If you we're a GPU company, would you value idle power consumption over peak performance for discrete components? Knowing that the latter is what ends up getting the headlines?

And once again AMD is truly on top of the game when it comes to getting its message out! I'll go cut up some chikkinz and inspect their entrails, perhaps the answer to the life and deeds of the 8550M is hidden right there! Is it a tired underpaid ASUS employee mistyping? Is it the seeekrit project that will take the world by storm? Tune in for the next exciting episode of "BeyondEntrails"!

AMD need to disclose what's happening in 1H 2013 now if they want to keep people's interest. Buyers are starting to ask 'what happens if I but a new card now and in 6-9 there's no AMD driver team?'

AMD need to disclose what's happening in 1H 2013 now if they want to keep people's interest. Buyers are starting to ask 'what happens if I but a new card now and in 6-9 there's no AMD driver team?'
Because osborning their whole product line for 6 months can't possibly be worse than stopping a few overly concerned worrywarts from buying their stuff?

Because osborning their whole product line for 6 months can't possibly be worse than stopping a few overly concerned worrywarts from buying their stuff?

To be fair, they don't really need to reveal anything they haven't already.

"2013 APUs are still on track" would suffice.

I know they've fired a lot of PR people, but still.

To be fair, they don't really need to reveal anything they haven't already.

"2013 APUs are still on track" would suffice.
I wasn't talking APUs. Neither was caveman-jim, unless there exist such things as APU cards. Let's face it: nobody really cares passionately about APUs. ;)

You aren't teasing AMD into a paper launch, aren't you? ;)

Our well informed industry sources are confirming that the next generation, based on Sea Islands, architecture is coming in 2013 and some of them dare to say that it will be Q2 2013 rather than Q1 2013.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29667-radeon-8000-expected-in-q2-2013

Hmm. :???: Worse than one could have even thought. Does it mean HD9000 in very late 2014? :oops:

:oops: Where do they send AMD driver team? I honestly don't understand what's going on here. Are they close to bankruptcy or...?

Back