PSP emulation on PSV

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Anyone have any idea how this is achieved? the earliest teardowns aren't pointing to any clues in the chips as to whether it's pure emulation are hardware duplication or what.

Im pretty sure I read an interview from sony that its being done with a combination of hardware and software emulation. Earlier report seems to be good so far, especially for 2d games with bilinear filter on. And 3d games also have a lot less dithering. Maybe all games are done in 32bit color now? PSP hardware isn't as bizzare as PS2.

It's not just an issue of 'bizarreness' - PSP hardware was never fully opened to anyone - a fair few bits always remain behind abstraction layers and were never documented (hence you only need to emulate black-box behavior in many areas). On PS2 half of our renderer-code was basically machine code (no, not even asm), so high-level emulation options don't really exist.

On the topic of dithering - thinking about it again, IIRC FB is always 32bit on PVR GPUs so they could never fully emulate 16bit rendering even if they wanted to (which is a good thing for PSP games on Vita though).

'Filtered' means 'blurred'? ;) Interesting, Fafalada. Thanks. So PSP emulation could come to other devices quite probably, and maybe even we'll see more hardware abstraction in XB3/PS4 for the same ends?

It's not just an issue of 'bizarreness' - PSP hardware was never fully opened to anyone - a fair few bits always remain behind abstraction layers and were never documented (hence you only need to emulate black-box behavior in many areas). On PS2 half of our renderer-code was basically machine code (no, not even asm), so high-level emulation options don't really exist.

On the topic of dithering - thinking about it again, IIRC FB is always 32bit on PVR GPUs so they could never fully emulate 16bit rendering even if they wanted to (which is a good thing for PSP games on Vita though).

Fafalada, do you know if Vita developers program on "bare metal" or via a thicker software abstraction layer now ?

I'd hope Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo start talking to Timothy Lottes of FXAA fame and some of those other guys working on post process AA techniques because FXA 4.0 appears to work much much better in scaling situations then upscale and bi-linear filter.

'Filtered' means 'blurred'? ;) Interesting, Fafalada. Thanks. So PSP emulation could come to other devices quite probably, and maybe even we'll see more hardware abstraction in XB3/PS4 for the same ends?

I thought The Tablet S could play PSP games?

"not even asm"

Are you talking binary? Because that's just madness.

As I understand it, Vita is Android/C#.
Android NDK (Native Development Kit) already allows anyone to develop Android software in C/C++ and compile it to native binary. It works on any Android phone and is available to all developers. I would be really surprised if Vita allowed less low level hardware access than standard Android NDK.

Do you have any source to back this up?

That's what I heard somewhat jokingly. But given monotouch and Unity are C# and already widespread, it's not far fetched to believe they are supported on Vita and used at least to some extent (iOS ports, smaller downloadable titles, etc.).

Back