PS3: Swapping Hard Drives in Same PS3

Gradthrawn

Veteran
I know a drive is formatted and tied to a specific PS3. And that if you attempt to take the drive out of 1 PS3, and put it in another, you'll be prompted to format that drive. What I'd like to know is what happens if you put 1 drive in, format it, swap it out and put a different drive in, format it, and then swap it out and put the 1st drive back in? Will the first drive still be recognized? A huge thanks to anyone who can offer any insight.

For those wondering why I'm asking, I just simply want to put in a dummy drive when I send my unit back for repair, and then put my actual drive back in once its returned. Thus ensuring all my save data etc is intact. That will, of course, only work if they send the same exact unit back instead of a same model refurb. But from what I understand, that can be requested at the time you place the service request (if you call instead of doing it online). That will also only work if the original drive is still recognized by the PS3 once a new drive has been formatted in it.

I don't see why not.

I only tried restoring an old HDD to a newly formatted HDD. Should be the same thing at high level.

I don't see why not.

I only tried restoring an old HDD to a newly formatted HDD. Should be the same thing at high level.

Yeah, if I had kept up with my backups as I was doing I wouldn't be worried about it. But I stopped doing my weekly routine about 6 months ago.

I think it should work as well, but, I was hoping someone would know for sure.

Yeah, if I had kept up with my backups as I was doing I wouldn't be worried about it. But I stopped doing my weekly routine about 6 months ago.

I think it should work as well, but, I was hoping someone would know for sure.

Depends on the repair I suppose. If it's an entirely new unit then the key will be different and it'll want to format any HD you put in. If it's the same unit then it should work.

Maybe I'm miss remembering but I'm sure I read something years back about how you could send them in for (an official) repair without a hdd in at at all.

Back