Nook Color on ICS/CM9

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
The Cyanogenmod developers have an alpha version of CM9 running. I'm posting from my Nook Color with it installed. There are quite a few missing features right now but for simple web/email/reading usage it is quite usable.

I've used Honeycomb devices before and this is very similar. The one aspect that annoys me is that there is no way to hide the soft button bar as I do with CM7. I'm sure someone will figure that out though as with Honeycomb.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1370873
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20096527&postcount=156

ncicsss2.png

Nice. How does the UI feel, speed wise? I gave away my NC when I got an NT, so I can't try it. But the dev says he's working on the Touchpad too so that's cool. I have CM7 on my touchpad, and even though it's alpha 3, it still works pretty well.

They don't have a lot of GPU acceleration working yet but it is rather similar to CM7 in speed right now. It isn't entirely clear how much GPU acceleration they will be able to get but we will see...

Cool.

I'll hang onto CM7 for now until something more mature emerges. I use my NC to read a lot of ebooks, so I'll stay with that for now.

Do your apps translate over without having to re-download?

I wish the Advent Vega's community was half as numerous/dedicated as the Nook Color.

Unfortunately, not even CM7 is stable enough for continuous usage, and nightlys have stopped back in October.
Sigh.. here's hoping ICS will be a blast in my tablet :)

Cool.

I'll hang onto CM7 for now until something more mature emerges. I use my NC to read a lot of ebooks, so I'll stay with that for now.

Do your apps translate over without having to re-download?

No you have to format data, system and cache before installing. You can use Titanium Backup to archive individual apps/data and then restore them once the OS is up and running. I only bothered to do that with Opera Mobile.

I went back to CM7. There is a lot of work to be done to CM9. Too many quirks for me right now. I think there are wifi problems as I was having problems with web browsing. Just give those guys a month or so and I think everything will get sorted out. :)

I wish the Advent Vega's community was half as numerous/dedicated as the Nook Color.

Yeah the cheap Nook Color and its bootable SD slot really attracted a lot of people. We are lucky to have a few capable programmers too.

No you have to format data, system and cache before installing. You can use Titanium Backup to archive individual apps/data and then restore them once the OS is up and running. I only bothered to do that with Opera Mobile.

I went back to CM7. There is a lot of work to be done to CM9. Too many quirks for me right now. I think there are wifi problems as I was having problems with web browsing. Just give those guys a month or so and I think everything will get sorted out. :)

Thanks for the reply.
I'll stay tuned for any news when it comes out.

Back