Epic Unveiling New Game @ VG Awards

Is it the same thing as what they were supposed to show last year or was that just a delayed Gears 3 trailer?

It'll be interesting if it's either for a "future" console or they don't even announce a console for it. Either of those would suggest a new console within the next 2-ish years.

If they DO announce it for X360/PS3, then I'm going to be sticking with my guess of at least 3-4 years before next gen consoles.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure that this new ip on either ps3 or xb360 is an indicator that nextgen won't come.

As they said, it's a departure for them, so I'm not convinced this will be a huge investment.

If it is a huge production value AAA type game targeted for xb360/ps3 and NOT casuals/kids/family, then I'd agree on nextgen not coming anytime soon.

EPIC will be a big part of the nextgen, so them introducing new IP which isn't targeting nextgen will pose serious doubt to an impending nextgen announcement.

If it is kids/family/casuals, then that doesn't preclude nextgen from coming soon. I expect ps3/xb360 will be filling this demographic void for the next few years alongside the nextgen.

I'd also say if EPIC are doing kids/family/casual, then they are wasting their talent/investment.

Any chance this is the Samaritan demo turned game?

They did say they didn't want people to not recognize it as a Epic game but that it would also be a departure ...

Perhaps it will be an RPG which LOOKS like an Epic game (Samaritan)... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am the only one, but I did not like the Samaritan demo even a bit. it was bland and boring art style, did not feel exciting to me at all.
I just hope its a AAA title and not some small mobile or whatever thingie.

If it is kids/family/casuals, then that doesn't preclude nextgen from coming soon. I expect ps3/xb360 will be filling this demographic void for the next few years alongside the nextgen.

I'd also say if EPIC are doing kids/family/casual, then they are wasting their talent/investment.

Infinite Blade?

I wouldn't say also that they're wasting their talent either. It's not as if families, kids or casual gamers are somehow less "worthy" to recieve a game from Epic.

Anyway, i think even if it is a more casual game it will likely be more "casual" in the way that it has a more broader appeal in terms of setting, style and artistic design than a game like say Gears of War.

I also think that the Samaritan Demo WILL be an actual game, but only for next gen. It would feel like a downgrade for them having done that demo saying "this is what next-gen will look like", only to strip everything down and release the game on current 2005 tech consoles.

I'm hoping for something different from Epic, something a bit less "dudebro". Maybe an adventure type game with less shooting and more exploration and problem solving. Or an RPG with a properly written and directed narrative.

Or, they could just do me a sequel to Unreal 2. Loved that game.

Infinite Blade?

I wouldn't say also that they're wasting their talent either. It's not as if families, kids or casual gamers are somehow less "worthy" to recieve a game from Epic.

Anyway, i think even if it is a more casual game it will likely be more "casual" in the way that it has a more broader appeal in terms of setting, style and artistic design than a game like say Gears of War.

I also think that the Samaritan Demo WILL be an actual game, but only for next gen. It would feel like a downgrade for them having done that demo saying "this is what next-gen will look like", only to strip everything down and release the game on current 2005 tech consoles.

I'm hoping for something different from Epic, something a bit less "dudebro". Maybe an adventure type game with less shooting and more exploration and problem solving. Or an RPG with a properly written and directed narrative.

Or, they could just do me a sequel to Unreal 2. Loved that game

I agree .

I may be completely wrong on this, but Gears style (dudebro) is the Epic brand.

Not saying they have to be Uber Bulk Space Marines, but certainly "kickass and take names".

They may surprise the heck out of me and come out with Flower2.0 ... but I just don't see success coming from such a venture out of Epic.

I may be completely wrong on this, but Gears style (dudebro) is the Epic brand.

Not saying they have to be Uber Bulk Space Marines, but certainly "kickass and take names".

They may surprise the heck out of me and come out with Flower2.0 ... but I just don't see success coming from such a venture out of Epic.

I would say i disagree on that.

If you'd said "Gears style is Cliffy B's style" then i'd have agreed. Unreal 1 & 2 felt far less "duebro" to me. I'm not even saying that "dudebro" is particularly a bad thing either. Gear games are solid and fun frolics, but i'd like to see Epics game design and technological talents married with some more interesting, none-combat/shooting gameplay, and much better written and directed narrative.

I'm not talking about games like Flower either. I mentioned in my post what i'd like to see from them.

Why's the platform important?

It's as much an Epic game as Shadow Complex, Gears or Bulletstorm is. And it's not just some token effort either.

If anything it being on iOS proves my point as iOS is a more casual gamer's platform. Thus Epic have already shown that they're happy to make a game with a much broader appeal.

...I'd like to see Epics game design and technological talents married with some more interesting, none-combat/shooting gameplay, and much better written and directed narrative.

More along the lines of UC...

I wouldn't be against it.

I think the entire industry should "grow up a bit" in this regard.

"Deeper and wider" to borrow a phrase from Nintendo (but actually mean it).

Deeper characters which cover a wider demographic.

Interactive media has grown beyond the prepubescent boyhood/nerd origins and especially now, it is reaching a very wide demographic with significantly more grown up tastes than when the medium started 3 decades ago.

Not that a Gears title should never see the light of day, but it should not be the face of the industry ... not meant to be a slight at Epic or the wonderful work they did in the series, but Arnold and Stallone are not the face of the movie industry either.

The movies they made were great for their time and filled a niche well. But it is one niche of one genre among many.

We also have had more thoughtful or "human" action leads like Indiana Jones or more recently, the Bourne series.

Epic IMO = Ahnold Interactive.

Not a bad brand at all, but certainly not as diverse as I'd like to see the industry.

I just don't want to see Kindergarten Cop.

More along the lines of UC...

I wouldn't be against it.

I think the entire industry should "grow up a bit" in this regard.

"Deeper and wider" to borrow a phrase from Nintendo (but actually mean it).

Deeper characters which cover a wider demographic.

Interactive media has grown beyond the prepubescent boyhood/nerd origins and especially now, it is reaching a very wide demographic with significantly more grown up tastes than when the medium started 3 decades ago.

Not that a Gears title should never see the light of day, but it should not be the face of the industry ... not meant to be a slight at Epic or the wonderful work they did in the series, but Arnold and Stallone are not the face of the movie industry either.

The movies they made were great for their time and filled a niche well. But it is one niche of one genre among many.

We also have had more thoughtful or "human" action leads like Indiana Jones or more recently, the Bourne series.

Epic IMO = Ahnold Interactive.

Not a bad brand at all, but certainly not as diverse as I'd like to see the industry.

I just don't want to see Kindergarten Cop.

Very much agree

Edit:

To clarify, before anyone comes in and thinks i'm saying Epic needs to make Uncharted or turn their existing franchises into it, i'm saying that in terms of characterisation, writing and dialogue Epic needs to be able to (or i'd like Epic to) handle that side of their games much better. The other aspects are pretty much cracked.

You can already see in Gears sequels also that they made attempts, but the biggest issue with Gears was that the game was never about that from the beginning. So attempting to make the player "feel" something in a game where the character development has always been pretty thin on the ground is a bit of a fools errand. Gears is at its best when its just mindless fun. With a new IP however they can start afresh and have a better go at marrying those other elements with what they're already so good at, i.e. crafting awesome and enjoyable gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should definitely get back to Unreal and let their artists' imagination run free. The world of Gears was just far too constrained visually, and the Samaritan demo stuff wasn't interesting enough either.

Erm.. if the platform(s) hasn't been disclosed yet, why was this thread created in the "console games" and why are people assuming it'll come to a future console rather than PC?

Here's hoping for at least a multi-platform game with no exclusivity contracts...

... the Samaritan demo stuff wasn't interesting enough either.

Not to single you out as this has been said a few times, but I liked the direction they were headed here.

The whole Blade-Runner city look mixed with an Epic style "kickass"-lead made for an interesting mix of a game world I'd like to see more of.

However, I would like a bit more pace in this world so as to appreciate it a bit more rather than a quick romp through an area never to see it again.

Back