Last of Us [PS4]

Delsin is always great, but Ellie can sometimes look very bad [certain lightning situations and moments of the game can really ruin her face].

Delsin is always real-time though I believe, that shot is not. Done with the engine of course, but the cutscenes in LoU are pre-rendered, so they have a bit more to work with.

Still spectacular though.

Yes it is. It's from the photomode. You can't move the camera and add some DOF during cutscenes (and anyway there are no cutscenes in the game with that scene).

Also it has been already confirmed by ND or analysed by gamers that real-time characters are roughly the same as characters during cutscenes, the only notable difference is the lighting, better on cutscenes.

If you had the game and played just a bit with the photomode, you would have known that in-game main characters are that good! ;)

One of mine, obviously without any cinematic effects (in photomode you can even totally turn off the light grain filter visible in the game: photomode definitive edition confirmed!):
jYbb.jpg

I just downloaded the remaster last night and had a quick play.

What immediately becomes apparent to me at least, is how selective our memory tends to be. Playing this last night, I couldn't imagine how much better it looks compared to the PS3 version that I played a couple of months ago. Sure, side by side - the difference is striking, but comparing from memory, I can't really put my finger on anything apart from the obvious factors like resolution, texture detail and overal much better IQ and smoother framerate.

Perhaps it's also a testament to how good the game already looked on the PS3. Even so, it's easily visible that this is a last generation game. Not that it bothers me much though. The framerate is nice and smooth (playing at 60fps - will not bother with the 30fps lock).

I never completed the PS3 version (kind of stopped playing half way through), so I have a long way to go before I'll progress on the PS4 version.

Any advice on difficulty? I think I played it on "normal" on the PS3 and started my game last night on normal as well. While playing the PS3 game, I felt that ammo and health are quite low at all times, so in order to give a bit more enjoyment, I figured I might stick to that difficulty. What do the harder difficulties do? Just less ammo/health or are there more enemies too? Do they play different - perhps increased levels of hearing/seight?

Any advice?
Hard +Listen mode off is how it's meant to be played. That's how I played for my first play through. Normal is too easy,not a survival game at all. Normal is for ppl who want a shooter, which this is totally not.. Listen mode is a cheat for newer players who can't do anything unless the game points it out to them. The post COD4 generation.

Hard is not hard at all. Go for Hard+cheat off for the fab experience this game is. Even hard will become easy once u figure out the stealth. But I won't spoil it for u.

Delsin is always real-time though I believe, that shot is not. Done with the engine of course, but the cutscenes in LoU are pre-rendered, so they have a bit more to work with.

That area is 100% not cutscene, entire ballroom scene is playable. That's ingame Ellie, but sometimes she can look worse.

TLOU face models are as far as I know somewhat lower in poly count than ISS. Not entirely sure about bone count or texture res.

I do prefer their look though.

Hard +Listen mode off is how it's meant to be played. That's how I played for my first play through. Normal is too easy,not a survival game at all. Normal is for ppl who want a shooter, which this is totally not..

I think you're confusing "survival'" with "stealth". I don't mind a little bit of stealth in games but the harder modes in The Last of Us, by virtue of limiting your resources, turn the game into a 95% stealth, 5% shooter. Cool if you like stealth, bad if you don't :yep2:

I'm all for harder games, but do it by adding enemies, making then genuinely more challenging with better AI or more realistic damage. Unfortunately, as much as I like this game, I can't ever see myself playing through the higher difficulty levels because they transform the game into a genre I struggle to maintain enthusiasm for.

Fallout is an example is how you can ramp the difficulty without hugely changing the game.

I think you're confusing "survival'" with "stealth". I don't mind a little bit of stealth in games but the harder modes in The Last of Us, by virtue of limiting your resources, turn the game into a 95% stealth, 5% shooter. Cool if you like stealth, bad if you don't :yep2:

I'm all for harder games, but do it by adding enemies, making then genuinely more challenging with better AI or more realistic damage. Unfortunately, as much as I like this game, I can't ever see myself playing through the higher difficulty levels because they transform the game into a genre I struggle to maintain enthusiasm for.

Fallout is an example is how you can ramp the difficulty without hugely changing the game.

But the reason why the game gets more stealthy in harder difficulties is the higher sense of danger. Its a natural progress. You dont want to encounter in the open face to face enemies that are more likely to kill you. Stealth is a player driven choice and not a change in the game's mechanics. Better AI and more enemies enforce the need to hide

Also it has been already confirmed by ND or analysed by gamers that real-time characters are roughly the same as characters during cutscenes, the only notable difference is the lighting, better on cutscenes.
Well lighting can have a huge impact - they look substantially better in cutscenes for me as a result, which is why I assumed that was the case in this example.
If you had the game and played just a bit with the photomode, you would have known that in-game main characters are that good! ;)
My mistake - I do in fact have the game, but haven't played with photomode that much. That's fantastic.

you guys.... makes me even more have big urge to play TLOUR ASAP haha. Fantastic picures

spetember 9, here i cooooomes

But the reason why the game gets more stealthy in harder difficulties is the higher sense of danger. Its a natural progress. You dont want to encounter in the open face to face enemies that are more likely to kill you. Stealth is a player driven choice and not a change in the game's mechanics. Better AI and more enemies enforce the need to hide
When there are more enemies then there is ammo, that's no longer player choice. I don't get any sense that the AI is better, but the resources become really scarce.

When there are more enemies then there is ammo, that's no longer player choice. I don't get any sense that the AI is better, but the resources become really scarce.

Well yeah, personally I think for such games its better they dont overdo it with ammo otherwise you will see the other side of the coin complaining that the game killed the survival element by offering too much ammunition. The game would start transforming into a shoot em up which is something we get way too much these days. Its one of the things that started killing the survival element in RE too (which started from RE3)

Also lets not forget that it has great emphasis on hand to hand combat too which is making the gameplay a lot more engaging and is just as important if not more as long range weapons. Too much ammo in a harder difficulty is tempting to make you use more of the shooting element for safety and less of anything else.

More enemies dont necessarilly solve the ammo issue. Not all enemies in the game are weilding weapons to drop ammo. This is why you get the impression that ammo is scarce. Otherwise ammo to enemy ratio should have been satisfying as it is. Unless the devs decided to fill the areas primarily with gun weilding enemies. This game requires planning and item management in a world that you would expect to have limited resources.

In total agreement. I am not in favor of gameplay mechanics that encourage stealth through totally artificial means.

I can understand not wanting a player to be able to easily march through the whole game flailing away with a baseball bat. But every melee weapon having a finite number of swings practically makes melee weapons ammo based, which I found unnatural. Limited to 3 bats swings against 5 possible targets is not the best way to encourage stealth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is not a shooter at its core. You want it to be a shooter. Its not.

Why would you want more ammo everywhere on harder difficulties? To make the game easier? But you wanted a hard mode ! The harder difficulties try to mimic the real situation of surviving in such a case, of course with creative liberties. Do you think in a more realistic scenario there would be more ammo lying around, or less? In a realistic scenario you would try to stay away from the cordesceps to avoid any chance of an infection. The game is doing fine. Its just not a shooter and you wanted one :) !

What is lacking on hard is that I can still climb atop a car and jump down, making a lot of noise, and the clickers still don't see me.

Uncharted = TPS*
TLOU = TPS**

* Third Person Shooter
** Third Person Shooter/Stealth, your call, on easy/normal difficulty, Third Person Stealth on others difficulty.

i do agree there are many design element in TOU that "unimaginative, cheap and dated". But to be fair, TLOU package and present them as imaginative and good overall experience.

no other games i ever played reached the level of TLOU. it is AWESOME.

its like iPhone. Apple did not invent smartphone, they just polish it to give good overall experience.
its like Pebble. Its not the 1st smartwatch but it is the most polished smartwatch available right now.

on the other hand, those that imaginative, not-dated does not automatically translate to something good or sells well. I think Mirrors edge with its free flow 3D movemnt was imaginative, not dated, but i kind of like and dislike it. On the other hand, on Titanfall, i completely love the free flow 3d movement.

Back