Last of Us [PS4]

A few of my own, 3 hours of sight seeing and camera panning and now finally done for the night.
1025518_10152541503565289_4790565654996742758_o.jpg

10353531_10152541547420289_3369723736941550002_o.jpg

10497497_10152541668565289_7136460531518852781_o.jpg

10498575_10152541594990289_5126615760813047876_o.jpg

I thought RE6 looked terrific. Just not all the way through thanks to somebody's bafflingly stupid decision to stretch a shooter to 35 hours worth of playtime.

Indeed RE6 sometimes looked good but often looked mediocre. Frustrating controls, gameplay mechanics with no coherence and no depth, stupid camera work were bigger culprits of why I hated the game. I play my games on hard difficulty and a game that is not well designed shows its ugly design choices in these modes. RE6 was one of the worst designed RE games I ever played and it was more apparent after I finished TLOU. It lacked polish whereas the first games were some of the most polished ever. I think I would agree that the 35 hour stretch has spread the focus too thinly

this truly is one of the best games ever made. I thank the gaming-gods, on my knees.. that I was not born an Xbox fan.
The sound design still really stands out, and is 200% next-gen; it puts every other PS4 game to shame IMO.

Yes! From all the games I have played in the last decades...this is my number 1 (beats even God of War).
Don't spoil the story!!
Ditto. I'd become increasingly jaded with survival horror but The Last of Us was the game that stood out the most of me last gen. Not the game I played the most (Oblivion, Skyrim or GTA IV takes that award) but the game that I most enjoyed playing. Highs. Lows. Drama. Suspense.

Absolutely gripping start to finish. My girlfriend and I started playing around 17.00 on Friday of release and only stopped when we realised it was 4am Saturday morning. One of those rare games that sucks you in and makes your forget the real world.

Reaction to seeing much (50%) better - "hey, that looks better."
Reaction to seeing twice as good - "wow, that looks loads better."

People are using numeric terms to address visceral responses. It's like the old "grade this something on a scale of x to y" metric. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does this hurt?" Without calibration of the scale, the results aren't at all scientific, but they give you a vague idea. "Twice as good" in terms of perception may come from anything like 50% to 400% more power and tech, like audio and light being twice as loud/bright requiring a far greater amount of energy than 2x as much.

People should probably natural language terms like 'similar but notable improved' and 'much better in all areas' etc., but the numbers provide a quick, ropey shorthand for those.

By the way I wasn't being confrontational. I just didn't understand if 'twice' is a good thing for everyone or not, because it's an arbitrary number and a low one at that. To me 'twice' is not super duper better.
Semantics!

I played it a really tiny bit, just to the first playable scene and then trying out the photo-mode. It's really nice.

10.jpg

Oh, and the improved framerate is fantastic. I'm not surprised, but I'm a huge fan.

does the photo mode allow "offline render" like in Gran Turismo? or its just real-time frame capture?

Yeah, it's just a real-time capture, but with some (still real-time) camera and filter / depth of field options, and then you take the screenshot using the share button. I haven't yet tried getting the image off the PS4 directly using a USB stick, to see if the quality is better - I got this one through facebook, and that's generally the worst quality of the three options (Twitter, Facebook and USB stick).

ah its real time. so no fancy anti aliasing, super sampling, cutcene FX, etc..

@arwin
i've read somewhere that the best picture quality is not save to USB but save to PlayStation App. Then download the picture from your phone PlayStation App.

the file size will be in "MB" where on other save method, it floats around 1MB - 500 KB (USB) and a less than 300 KB (facebook)

does the photo mode allow "offline render" like in Gran Turismo? or its just real-time frame capture?

Yeah. I haven't yet tried getting the image from the PS4 directly using a USB stick, to see if the quality is better - I got this one through facebook, and that's generally the worst quality of the three options (Twitter, Facebook and USB stick).

ah its real time. so no fancy anti aliasing, super sampling, cutcene FX, etc..

@arwin
i've read somewhere that the best picture quality is not save to USB but save to PlayStation App. Then download the picture from your phone PlayStation App.

the file size will be in "MB" where on other save method, it floats around 1MB - 500 KB (USB) and a less than 300 KB (facebook)

No, there is no difference in quality when working with PlayStation App and USB. And JPG quality is far from perfect, no matter what image source is [max size I saw is 790kb JPEG].

Yeah. I haven't yet tried getting the image from the PS4 directly using a USB stick, to see if the quality is better - I got this one through facebook, and that's generally the worst quality of the three options (Twitter, Facebook and USB stick).

Have you tried the : orig trick on twitter?

dbyoxy.jpg

I really don't like that Photo Mode button is placed on L3. I press it accidentally so much that I have turned it off. :-/ I don't use listen mode, so R1 would be better place for it.

Back