Last of Us [PS4]

the cut-scene models are not in the real tme gameplay. ND has always said "higher resolution character models" meaning probably higher than PS3 LOD models, but not cutscene, which i'm guessing would take a rejiggering of the game engine to get good performance. Something probably not worth it with a remaster worked on by just under 30 people in just about 12 months.

Their description was pretty much clear, they moved high-geometry cutscene models into the gameplay. But they probably did not manage to do the same with all the advanced effects from cinematics.

"Character models built for cutscenes use more triangles than those in-game, and multiple versions of objects were built with higher-quality models swapped in and out depending on its prominence in the frame. On PS4, those models could be used everywhere.

We brought in all the hi-res models, and then it’s on par with what you saw in the cutscenes. "

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-last-of-it-naughty-dog-on-bringing-the-last-of-us-to-ps4/

both at 720p, the texture difference is a lot less (obviously). I'll buy it regardless because I sold the PS3 version.
I will approach the game as:

The Last of Us, Dual Shock 4 edition*
*now in 60fps

I even get the 1st story DLC! So whatever happens: I cannot be disappointed :)

Its nice that you picked just that sentence, and not first one.

Here is Joel from photomode, pic made by Neil Druckman
iosEUyqJta6Ud.jpg

Its wonder what little camera effects [extensively used in cinematics] can do with character models and environments. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What I wonder is when we will have high precision lighting effects, shadows and enough light sources so that the models maintain quality consistency with the cut scene. The lighting is the biggest culprit.
On a cut scene there are multiple, softer light sources and shadows that blend together. On a typical gameplay model sometimes the light sources are two few.

Another problem is how light and shadows affect very tiny surfaces. The lighting and shadows dont appear correct on such surfaces. Such areas are usually wrinkles, nostrils, the little surface on the eyelids, and lips. So instead of showing dark depth they are highlighted. A nostril is highlighted for example instead of being darker due to blocked light.
The lighting and shadows ignore the fact that there is another surface above/below/around those tiny surfaces that should not let light highlight them. Surfaces on a model are "unaware" of each other's existence. Model surfaces react only to the direction of the light coming from the environment but do not react to the actual model geometry that may block light or enable lighting on itself

The first common issue is displayed to a large extend on the image with Joel above and the second common issue most notably displayed on the image below
iAQnABg8SJ5TS.jpg

It's funny that durring the original's development ND used to say often that they used the very same high poly model from cutscenes on gameplay segments, without LODing for the main characters...

Thank you everyone for the explanation on the differences between the cutscenes and realtime. I think the real test on how the ps4 compares to the pre-rendered cutscenes is during this segment since it goes from realtime to pre-rendered in the same location. Note that i have added MLAA to the left image (realtime ps3) so it is NOT an accurate representation of how it really looks like, i added so you can better see the character model differences more clearly, the original image is jagged to high hell.

ibzX07kR8woQVg.png

ibeOTiTp9Uq7C4.png

i0cjvNHTvKe4n.png

ibrWBFeUgxdeqB.png

I see better shadows,lighting and subsurface-scattering in addition to a higher quality character model but only from the neck up? Clothes look the same.

IRC, ND said their cut scene model and and in game, except for better lighting texture and shaders for cut scene. Unless something has changed since uncharted. LOU looks about the same in terms of geometry. Wish they had improve the shadow beside increasing the resoluton, like some edge softening.

Game engines are all using shadow buffers and that method is highly inaccurate for small details on self-shadowing characters. Combined with the various tricks to do skin translucency in real time, it can lead to light leaking and the SSS effect applied where it shouldn't be. Fixing this takes some extra instructions that might only be used in cutscenes because of the extra GPU cost.

The new consoles should be better at this because they can afford the extra instructions and they have enough memory to use higher res shadow buffers. There was also a GDC presentation that I think was referenced to in one of these threads earlier where you can see some of this stuff illustrated as well. I have to go so I don't have time to look for links now ;)

Game engines are all using shadow buffers and that method is highly inaccurate for small details on self-shadowing characters. Combined with the various tricks to do skin translucency in real time, it can lead to light leaking and the SSS effect applied where it shouldn't be. Fixing this takes some extra instructions that might only be used in cutscenes because of the extra GPU cost.

The new consoles should be better at this because they can afford the extra instructions and they have enough memory to use higher res shadow buffers. There was also a GDC presentation that I think was referenced to in one of these threads earlier where you can see some of this stuff illustrated as well. I have to go so I don't have time to look for links now ;)
Very interesting, thanks. I also have great news, it seems that the 30fps mode enables higher quality shadows.

JLeack got a review copy.
Improvement in shadows are easy to spot so hopefully other things got improved too.

Edit: Corrinne
RgJ7C5T.png

She deleted the tweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
naughtuy dogs :D

btw all of naughty dogs knowledge of PS4 power is a trade secret or Sony share them among PS4 developers?

They are sharing of couse. ND has Ice Team [also known as Sony Ninjas], which is Sony's team for optimization of 1st party games and creation of low-level software layers [console API optimizations and similar stuff].

The real difference isn't the model itself but the totally different lighting models between gameplay and cutscenes. Pretty jarring.

Yeah this is what l noticed, it's seems glaringly obvious the cut scenes are far superior to the in game graphics.

I would have been happy with 30fps and those cut scene visuals.

Anyone know how to contact arne or someone from naughty dog ask them if its possible to include. Unlocked frame rate with enhanced shadows? The game still use triple buffers I am guessing so should be doable.

Back