Last of Us [PS4]

I was watching a feed on Twitch yesterday evening of someone playing a copy. Looked super smooth despite the 30 fps cap of the stream itself.

I see the improvement, but if this were Xbox One vs PS4, then people would be saying that it's a decent port, and perfectly fine on Xbox One.
I don't think so. This is a bigger difference than most PS4/XB1 games. The difference is night and day IMO.

With this I mean: in no way can you see that there is a generational difference.
It's a remaster, not a remake. If ND were given more time / a bigger budget and they wanted to completely remake the game for the PS4, I can tell you that it would look a lot better. It looks about as good as a remaster could. Not to mention the framerate is 2x higher.

As I said: this is probably because TLoU was one of the best looking games ever created; regardless, so no harm intended towards this excellent 10/10 AAA game that will be unrivalled for years IMO
TLoU being a late PS3 title by arguably the best in the business probably has something to do with it, yes. Plus porting from PS3 > PS4 is probably not easy.

edit: this is when looking at the scaled down image
Well there's your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some really weird expectations with this remaster. We've seen a tiny bit of what ND can do with a brand new game on PS4 (if that UC4 trailer was real, that is). TLOU was great on PS3 but it will obviously always look like a PS3 game, albeit now with sharper IQ and a few more polygons here and there on PS4.
This will always be a PS3 game at heart, and I rather ND spent their time on new games than on remaking old ones.

ND bosses (Wells and Balestra) said that even though they only have little over than 200 people in the studio, they are always splintered in smaller groups. Majority works on a next big game, few dozen people work on smaller project and few dozen are on a pre-production for the next game.

I could see them using one of those smaller teams to work on bringing Uncharted Trilogy to PS4, but, maybe they will hire Bluepoint or someone else to do the porting.

There's some really weird expectations with this remaster. We've seen a tiny bit of what ND can do with a brand new game on PS4 (if that UC4 trailer was real, that is). TLOU was great on PS3 but it will obviously always look like a PS3 game, albeit now with sharper IQ and a few more polygons here and there on PS4.
This will always be a PS3 game at heart, and I rather ND spent their time on new games than on remaking old ones.

The game is going to cost 60€ and it's on a significantly more poweful hardware now. Given the TR Definitive Edition and upcoming remasters like GTA5 and the entire Halo catalog, it's really not that weird to expect a little more than a bump in resolution and a better framerate.

I'm with you on them better spending their time on new games, but that doesn't mean I appreciate a rip-off. This should be 30 bucks. Not 60.
Heck, at least they could've offered all the folks who bought TLoU digitally some form of upgrade plan. Cheap fucks.

The game is going to cost 60€ and it's on a significantly more poweful hardware now. Given the TR Definitive Edition and upcoming remasters like GTA5 and the entire Halo catalog, it's really not that weird to expect a little more than a bump in resolution and a better framerate.

I'm with you on them better spending their time on new games, but that doesn't mean I appreciate a rip-off. This should be 30 bucks. Not 60.
Heck, at least they could've offered all the folks who bought TLoU digitally some form of upgrade plan. Cheap fucks.
Both of those games are FULL price and TLoU:R is not (it's not 60 euros). Plus aren't you jumping the gun, considering all we have to judge are a couple of (compressed) screenshots? And it is clear (and ND have even said) that it's not simply just a resolution bump and a higher framerate.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1860359&postcount=1793

I'm willing to bet that TLoU will have a much more stable framerate than Tomb Raider DE. And you make it sound like porting from PS3 to PS4 is easy, just because the PS4 is way more powerful.

1080p/60fps with updated graphics, all major add-on content... $50 seems fair. Don't like it, don't buy it. Calling them cheap fucks is just complete ignorance since you have no idea how much work went into it.

I just checked, and Playstation Store price is 44,99 euros.

Well I don't know about you but i paid around 20 quid for TR:DE, on the PS store, not long after it was released. TLOU will not stay at full price for long, and if it does, that's what Amazon is for.

Well I don't know about you but i paid around 20 quid for TR:DE, on the PS store, not long after it was released. TLOU will not stay at full price for long, and if it does, that's what Amazon is for.
That and Id rather have an expensive but good option instead of the Silent Hill 2 HD fiasco

Okay that is great news!
I am hoping retail will be even lower, wowhd has the game at 37 euros but im afraid it will be the us version or something

US version is better, it does not have censored multiplayer content. SP in both versions is the same.

I see the improvement, but if this were Xbox One vs PS4, then people would be saying that it's a decent port, and perfectly fine on Xbox One.
What? No. That's just crazy.

At the present, "decent port and fine on Xbox One" is regularly applied to justify cases where two versions have very similar effects and texture work, but where the PS4 has maybe a 0%-50% advantage in total pixel throughput.

The PS4 version of TLoU has vastly superior textures, over twice as many pixels per frame, likely more than double the typical framerate, amongst other tuneups. We're talking about a superior graphical baseline on top of around FIVE TIMES the pixel throughput. That's astronomically larger than any gap we've seen so far between XB1/PS4 multiplats; everyone would be cracking dumb jokes about how the Xbox One version is the Xbox one version.

The perception of TLoU remake is imo quite interesting:

1) lots of people can't see a difference, although the screens are now 1080p with effects also rendered higher resolution => it seems, that resolution really doesn't matter.
Seriously lots of people cant see the difference in that above gif? (dont view it downscaled)
Highly doubtful, do you have proof of this.

btw yes the difference is larger than xbone&ps4 games

common people dont usually able to see resolution difference but from that GIF, the PS4 version have much better contrast so i suspect common people will prefer the PS4 version.

*by "common" i mean is my friends that does not see the blurry of under 720p games and happily run call of duty in their PC with low resolution mode (CoD game need to be manualy set to native or max for 1 option to make the game runs in desired resolution)

Even downscaled the difference in resolution is night and day. Increased texture resolution on the ps4 is also plain to see in the downscaled image.

I'm pretty "whelmed" by this. Last gen you had hd remasters that increased resolution but rarely did they run at double the framerate of the original as well.

I didn't think I would, but I decided to preorder this, because:

1. I played only halfway through the original game, and then the PS4 got in the way
2. the DLC is included
3. I am just too curious about how it will feel at Full HD and 60fps, on my new (vs when I played the original) low-lag TV.

PS4 screens look noticeably better to me, but it definitely looks last-gen. Still, for people who haven't played it, 1080p and 60fps is going to look nice and play well. The game is incredibly well reviewed, and almost universally liked, so I don't see last-gen graphics being an issue. Should it be $60? I don't know. Maybe not, but it definitely won't be a ripoff to play a better looking version of one of the most liked games of last gen.

What? No. That's just crazy.

At the present, "decent port and fine on Xbox One" is regularly applied to justify cases where two versions have very similar effects and texture work, but where the PS4 has maybe a 0%-50% advantage in total pixel throughput.

The PS4 version of TLoU has vastly superior textures, over twice as many pixels per frame, likely more than double the typical framerate, amongst other tuneups. We're talking about a superior graphical baseline on top of around FIVE TIMES the pixel throughput. That's astronomically larger than any gap we've seen so far between XB1/PS4 multiplats; everyone would be cracking dumb jokes about how the Xbox One version is the Xbox one version.

Agreed. When viewed at full resolution, it's night and day, the PS4 version puts PS3 to absolute shame.

I'm not sure how anyone can complain about those graphics. They look better than the shitpile that was Watch Dogs, which is pretty damn good for a PS3 remaster. For $50, with extra DLC, this is one hell of a great value for any next-gen gamer.

Back