Last of Us [PS4]

71pzzyxteel._sl1500_7iqkcn.jpg
Amazon FR.

It is also a bit of a sad sign that a remastered game is the big exclusive for the ps4....where are the games SONY?
Not 'sad' at all. I'd expect Microsoft to do the same with the Halo Master Chief Collection.

Lol, the haters and the usual suspects.

They don't have to release only a handful of bundles if it will help sell consoles.

The timing is opportune as well, Sony's bigger new releases aren't releasing until October 2014 and after. Destiny is only coming September 9.

A much-needed filling in the summer gap this year.

It’s not sad for those - like me, who haven’t played it yet.

True...but for someone like me, who played all the interesting games when they got released (exclusive as well as third party), these new consoles don't really have something to offer atm....and also the following weeks and months.

And note that TLOU is my absolute favorite game of all time, I even waited for my replay as I hoped for a remastered edition on ps4. But it is(!) sad, that SONY has so many first party studios and except for Sucker Punch (who is even a second party studio iirc) no one manages to release a AAA game in the launch window+. This is sad and bad management of resources as well. And it is like this every generation and I do wonder when they learn to manage their first party resources.

Furthermore, 2015 will be to crowded...same goes for the box as well btw.

Both releases are obviously aiming to build a customer base for new releases
If a sequel to TLoU was due next year, maybe, but even if we get outing in this franchise I can't see it launching before 2017.

Both releases are obviously aiming to build a customer base for new releases

I'm not sure that's it. I think for TloU, apart from having such great critical acclaim, was a game that was released just before the PS4 launched. As the PS4 is finding a new audience (something like 40% in the US didn't previously have a PS3?) and it still has an active multiplayer community, it makes a lot of sense.

Also, I got a strong sense when playing it that the bottlenecks in the hardware were sometimes a bit too visible, and solving those would be a great test for Naughty Dog to find out what the hardware bottlenecks are that they need to design around, and where the room for expansion is.

I am more excited about an Uncharted that builds further upon the much improved gameplay of The Last of Us, as the latter game just isn't a setting I like (I hate zombies and everything that looks/acts like them), but I am also really curious how the game will look in 1080p and at 60fps, so much so that I might buy it again.

After initial bump, TLOU Remaster is down from #1 to #8 [PSN cards, 3 cheap games and MK8 are in front of it]. But in UK, it is still #1.

BTW, I did not know that UK will get the game a day later...

Doesn't make it any less sad ;)

I agree. Luckily, I haven't completed TLoU yet, and since PS4 isn't backwards-compatible, I guess they've just sold themselves another copy.

I've also bought Tomb Raider: Definition Edition, a game I bought and completed on the PS3. Guess this just shows how many people outthere have to little sense. It also shows a lack of games on the PS4 - well IMO.

Definitely, it's better in everyway.
UC3 was definitely not as good as UC2, which has been the high point of the series so far.

In everyway, apart from *fun* IMO. Also TLoU might be better technically (only logical, it came out later too and is a progression in their tech) - but I from what I played (and I think I've progressed quite far into TLoU) UC3 had more 'WOW' moments, where as TLoU is definately more realistic. As a game, I think UC3 was great lighthearted entertainment. TLoU definately isn't that. It's way more serious and its gritty/dark theme isn't for everyone. Technically a masterpeace though, just as UC2 and UC3 have been IMO. Their very different games though, so I'm not sure the comparison is fair or even can be made.

BTW, I did not know that UK will get the game a day later...
3 day. It's Tuesday worldwide, Friday in the UK. The UK has had release on Fridays for so long it's almost normal but plenty of games have also appeared on a Tuesday. I don't know if it's to do with retail distribution or what, perhaps somebody in the know can explain.

Unless I'm on leave, Tuesday or Friday makes no odds as I won't get a chance to play a game until the weekend. Indeed a Tuesday launch can be worse because I'll be desperate to play, can only squeeze in an hour or so here and there - because I have no willpower, lol - and sometimes this makes it harder for me to immerse myself in a game because the initial experience is so fragmented.

3 day. It's Tuesday worldwide, Friday in the UK. The UK has had release on Fridays for so long it's almost normal but plenty of games have also appeared on a Tuesday. I don't know if it's to do with retail distribution or what, perhaps somebody in the know can explain.
There was an article quite a whiles back, on EG I think or maybe GI.biz, explaining why the different launch days.

My Google-fu is teh awsomist!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-why-are-we-stuck-with-games-being-released-on-a-friday

Huh? My take-home from that article was Crazy Americans! They shipped stuff on Tuesdays to be sure it'd be in shops on Fridays. Everyone was wanting Friday as the release date stuff-on-shelves-in-stores for the weekend sells. Now it's legacy holding everything back. Consumers either need to force retailers to match the US (the US is not going to change) or just lump it.

The Article explaining why Dixons are evil said:
Big operators like Dixons weren't happy. They had order for other goods in their stores and they advertised them in newspapers on Fridays and Saturdays. The prospect of stock turning up late and missing the weekend wasn't a good one, so the big shops did something about it.

"Dixons basically started sitting down with the supply chain and saying, 'If you release products on a Friday that means we can include it in our advertising; that means we can promote you.' It's carrot and stick," Graeme Struthers explains. "I wouldn't say that Dixons were the company that made it Fridays, but it was the retail chains that said having product just turning up ad hoc is useless; having product that's got a defined release date means we can all orientate our distribution to get it into all of our shops for a Friday so that we've got the weekend business.

There is an option, which is customer friendly but retailer hostile (so naturally I like it :yes:), which is Sony releasing digitally on Tuesdays and retailers can hold until Friday or conform. I get the America argument, it's a big country but the UK is tiny. I walked around it at lunch time :yep2: The entire map of GTA V is bigger than the UK :yep2: QFT! :yep2:

But I still won't to get to play most games until the weekend :nope:

In everyway, apart from *fun* IMO. Also TLoU might be better technically (only logical, it came out later too and is a progression in their tech) - but I from what I played (and I think I've progressed quite far into TLoU) UC3 had more 'WOW' moments, where as TLoU is definately more realistic. As a game, I think UC3 was great lighthearted entertainment. TLoU definately isn't that. It's way more serious and its gritty/dark theme isn't for everyone. Technically a masterpeace though, just as UC2 and UC3 have been IMO. Their very different games though, so I'm not sure the comparison is fair or even can be made.

That's why I like it over Uncharted, the realism and grittiness adds to the experience and pull you in, as there is greater verisimilitude to the world and it is less obviously 'gamey'. But then again, this will depend on what kind of films etc. you like and some people might find it too dark for their tastes.

I find the gameplay is also a lot deeper and more satisfying than Uncharted too, with the RPG like crafting and customisation elements being a nice touch. I especially like how there is so much downtime in the gameplay, it's not rushing you from one setpiece to another like Uncharted or COD and it makes for a more contemplative, slower feel with greater time to appreciate the world. Some of my favourite games of last gen (like RDR or Bioshock Infinite) did the same thing.

Back