Last of Us [PS4]

Shotgun is more powerful I think. The upgraded hunting rifle is also powerful. I could one shot enemies. But arrow is nice because of the range. Ellie's arrow seems more powerful than Joel's. ^_^

I still trying hard to get some of the unlimited ammo guns of the bad guys. They must swallow them or stove them somewhere else where joel doesnt wanna go.

I still trying hard to get some of the unlimited ammo guns of the bad guys. They must swallow them or stove them somewhere else where joel doesnt wanna go.
It certainly would be more interesting if enemies would have ammo count, as it would force more varied tactics and need for player to get them down as fast as possible.. ;)

It certainly would be more interesting if enemies would have ammo count, as it would force more varied tactics and need for player to get them down as fast as possible.. ;)
Yeah, that and I thought if would be great if enemies tried to get to ammo stashes if they are out or try grabbing the ammo from downed comrades.

I always thought they are more likely to drop ammo if I use stealth to git them.

I finished the game yesterday on hard after 16:30h and must say it had some great moments with mature storytelling and a very good ending.

All those Citizen Kane comments etc. show how low the bar is set for game storytelling, but it is still much, much better than the average video game (not to mention much, much better than David "I am a great writer" Cage's writing).

Congratulations to Naughty Dog, never thought a AAA video game could have such an mature story with relatively little "cool moment". I never doubted their technical and gameplay delivery for one second.

Naughty Dog are one of the main reasons why I seriously think of an PS4 preorder even though I do not even have the time to play all the PSN+ games and bought games I have.

All those Citizen Kane comments etc. show how low the bar is set for game storytelling, but it is still much, much better than the average video game (not to mention much, much better than David "I am a great writer" Cage's writing).

I shared the same view as you for both things. I wish I could watch David Cage playing LoU, heh. Though he seems to be of the delusional type who wouldn't see through his ego. Also, I can see him dismissing it quickly for its skill based gameplay, violent tone and zombie theme... The guy seems to forget he just made a silly B-level serial killer thriller game and now his new Beyond 3D two souls "deep" and "mature" story involves ellen page going to a spy mission on the middle east (?!?!)

I finished the game yesterday on hard after 16:30h and must say it had some great moments with mature storytelling and a very good ending.

Congratulations to Naughty Dog, never thought a AAA video game could have such an mature story with relatively little "cool moment". I never doubted their technical and gameplay delivery for one second.

Naughty Dog are one of the main reasons why I seriously think of an PS4 preorder even though I do not even have the time to play all the PSN+ games and bought games I have.

Yes, the subtle way in which they handled the emotional moments, by downplaying them or making them happen during gameplay and letting the player have his own experience was just amazing ! A lesson for all devs out there ! I put together a lot of finer points I noticed about the game's desig and implementation on my blog, do have a look if u have time ! Apparently someone on facebook liked it so much that he has sent my article to Naughty Dogs themselves :p !

Link : The Last Of Us : A Masterclass in Game Design !

Last edited by a moderator:
I shared the same view as you for both things. I wish I could watch David Cage playing LoU, heh. Though he seems to be of the delusional type who wouldn't see through his ego. Also, I can see him dismissing it quickly for its skill based gameplay, violent tone and zombie theme... The guy seems to forget he just made a silly B-level serial killer thriller game and now his new Beyond 3D two souls "deep" and "mature" story involves ellen page going to a spy mission on the middle east (?!?!)

I read many comments like yours around, which shows me that people want mature storytelling, they want to be feel something beside a adrenaline rush or idiotic stereotypes (I immediately uninstalled the new MGS after I heard the fake German accent of the scientist, talk about "genius" writing)...

I loved Heavy Rain, but despite of the many story flaws and holes, not because of it. I think this is what David Cage does not understand. The Walking Dead had the best ending of this generation, but I will also not throw around Citizen Kane comparisons around. I would really like that video game journalists have mandatory reads of good books, good movies etc., because sometimes I get the feeling that people who praise all these great game stories have never read a fantastic book (even "only" a SF classic like Neuromancer would blow their minds), a movie classic (what would happen to you after watching Seven Samurai?) or read some ground breaking comic (I almost do not read comics, so I would recommend Groo or Alan Ford :D ).

The more I think of The Last Of Us, the more I think that it could be a gamechanger because if it sells well it shows all the producers, game directors that you do not need those "If it bleeds, we can kill it moments" in ALL games (mind you, Predator is my favourite action movie of all times, testosterone at its finest). Lets hope for more AAA titles with less "you go - there - cool cool - kill kill" stories.

Watched the making of last night and really liked it, even though I am sad that the idea without infected at all has been scrapped, I think it would have been a better game that way, even though it would be probably get a big minus, because people want zombie games (do not care what anyone says, if it is a mindless hulk of ex-human it is a zombie).

yesterday published tlou review and got a flak. our readers feel tlou is not a 10/10 game. they feels it is more 9/10 game :D
and the discussion spiralled into other media that gave 6 or 7 lol. weird.

We all read books too, and so do the developers too. Creating an emotional impact in an interactive game is very different from a book where you can guide the reader by the nose and create a moment. The Last of Us is a towering achievement of what can be done with a storytelling while still keeping a 'game' in there which is fun to play and even replay again n again.

I have also read A thousand splendid Suns and the impact it had on me was great, but tell some developer to make it as a game and we will see what kind of impact can be achieved in the new form. Theres a huge difference in both the mediums. TLOU's biggest achievement is that it didn't tell the story in cutscenes but used the medium's plus point, the interactivity to convey most of the impact.

Those dicks are wrong. The Last of Us is an amazing achievement as a game.

I think it's an amazing achievement as a story, but not necessarily as a game itself. I think the game part is very competent (much more so than in past ND games), but it's nowhere near as accomplished as the narrative and doesn't blend particularly well with it either. At the end of the day, ND hasn't come an awful lot closer to solving the problem of selling me on a scenario where a single dude can somehow kill hundreds of guys.

Sure, the writing is an awful lot better than in your typical David Cage joint, but in Cage's defense, his games do let me interact with pivotal story beats, whereas TLoU merely hands me the controls during the foot notes.

:D
This game made me a happy gamer again. I played around 30 minutes last night and I was blown away, totally immersed. I havent felt like that about a game since I was a kid. Its like the times when I couldnt wait for the next morning to come to continue playing my newest game

How did they do it? They blend the story, the characters and the interaction so naturally and beautifully that you dont feel disconnected from the game's world. It feels believable. :oops: I am not playing a game. I am experiencing it. I dont know how else to describe it.

I got touched in the very first moments of the game
when Joel had his first casualty
. No other game has ever managed to make my eyes wet so soon.

I feel familiar and connected with the characters and I havent even played more than an hour.

Well done Naughty Dog :D

They have their way of adding scenes and events that the player have no direct control of without making them intrusive and disconnected from the player. For some reason the player is like he is always participating. Beautiful

You HAVE to play it on a large screen, surround sound and lights off. It totally deserves it!!

Back