Last of Us [PS4]

also a kid that grown up without any parents, school in a post apocalyptic world where ppl kill each other to survive and thats all they do.

It really scares me what ND would do with a PS4, I think TLOU will be their last wild ride this gen and then really getting into fine grain graphics and tessellation on nextgen hardware.

Yeah, I really don't want to watch these things, but in this case it's probably good that I do, as I am starting to think I might like this game after all, despite the zombies.

"He also played Dan Dority in the acclaimed HBO series, Deadwood."

Ah. I thought that sounded familiar, but wasn't sure if it was just my lack of experience with various U.S. accents.

Technically impressive as always. But it has the exact same problem Uncharted has. It makes no for the characters to be behave that way in gameplay in the context of the story. They should be avoiding combat instead of getting in to it.

Technically impressive as always. But it has the exact same problem Uncharted has. It makes no for the characters to be behave that way in gameplay in the context of the story. They should be avoiding combat instead of getting in to it.

They did avoid it more than the last gameplay demo of the same area. They just showed more choice in the same level.

I think this clearly wiped off every other game from the radar ! This is it !

Came here to post exactly the same thing!

I was literally shaking my head in disbelief with what I was watching! The gameplay seems completely devoid of any sort of moral choices or implications, which as you mentioned is contradictory to the established setting and themes.

In what I understand is supposed to be a survivalist situation, the main protagonist takes some completely unnecessary risks putting both his own life, and that of the younger girl at risk. What we were shown is that upon reaching the roof of an adjoining building, and realizing that the next building is occupied by some not so friendly looking men, our hero decides that the best course of action is enter said building and BRUTALLY KILL ITS OCCUPANTS! Strangely enough, prior to this choice the soldiers/men can be heard saying that they only have one room left to check, so it should have been fully possible for our protagonist to wait them out. You know, actually act like someone in a survivalist situation, who may not have close quarters combat skills, weapon training... or a conscience! I think it would have been believable if one of the men in the building had something deemed unnecessary for survival, such as food, clean water or lighter/fuel, and the player was asked to make the moral choice of killing another human to survive. Instead, what we saw was basically Uncharted/Splinter Cell with a man and a girl dressed up with Naughty Dogs trademark excellent visuals.

EDIT: I mean he literally, beats a guy to death with a brick, pipe, shoots people, strangles a man, and then chases a guy down and blows his head open! All in fifteen minutes lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Like 99.9% of the games out there.

Like 99.9% of the games out there.

And is that any reason for TLoU to be like as well? Wouldn't it be better for the story if it wasn't in conflict with the gameplay? Naughty Dog is always talking about finding better ways to tell stories in videogames. Shouldn't this be a part of that? Other developers have succeeded in this so why not Naughty Dog?

And is that any reason for TLoU to be like as well? Wouldn't it be better for the story if it wasn't in conflict with the gameplay? Naughty Dog is always talking about finding better ways to tell stories in videogames. Shouldn't this be a part of that? Other developers have succeeded in this so why not Naughty Dog?
They talk about it, but all they managed to do (in U3) is refer to the discrepancy - in a way thats not smart or funny and only sets you up for disappointment if you expect an answer during later in the game.
I dint mind the discrepancy in U2, but it was really annoying how U3 pointed out its flaws itself in short tourett-like bursts, and later went on trying to dispell some of the things that happened in the game in a rather pathetic fashion.
No, you dint run out shooting burning demons, you just hallucinated and somehow either shot the air with nonexisting guns you picked up from nonexisting enemies or you just killed humans whose bodies disappeared into hallucinated demons the moment they died (cause you know ecactly when a shot is lethal in real life and beeing drugged). I had no problem with a supernatural things in the past games, but this sorry cover-up just for the sake of beeing "realistic" while you kill a 1000 guys and hundreds of weird spiders while running into certain death for no god reason...

Gone offtopic, but in the end I just wanna say that I dont care if a game stays a game for the reason of entertainment. I just hate when it cripples itself for the premise of beeing "more realistic" and then totally fails on that by just making the gaps more apparent.

what the hell are you guys talking about?

Heh heh ;) ! Gamers are getting cynincal with each day. Instead of celebrating such amazing an show of a game, we fight that this isn't enough.

For me, this and the new MGS ! The best way to end this generation. If only The Last Guardian could also make it, this would be the best gen ever !

They talk about it, but all they managed to do (in U3) is refer to the discrepancy - in a way thats not smart or funny and only sets you up for disappointment if you expect an answer during later in the game.
I dint mind the discrepancy in U2, but it was really annoying how U3 pointed out its flaws itself in short tourett-like bursts, and later went on trying to dispell some of the things that happened in the game in a rather pathetic fashion.
No, you dint run out shooting burning demons, you just hallucinated and somehow either shot the air with nonexisting guns you picked up from nonexisting enemies or you just killed humans whose bodies disappeared into hallucinated demons the moment they died (cause you know ecactly when a shot is lethal in real life and beeing drugged). I had no problem with a supernatural things in the past games, but this sorry cover-up just for the sake of beeing "realistic" while you kill a 1000 guys and hundreds of weird spiders while running into certain death for no god reason...

Gone offtopic, but in the end I just wanna say that I dont care if a game stays a game for the reason of entertainment. I just hate when it cripples itself for the premise of beeing "more realistic" and then totally fails on that by just making the gaps more apparent.

I agree with you. I hated that in U3 too. Whats wrong in having some supernatural stuff in there, in fact I was waiting for it after having played u1 and 2. They took away the whole mystique by saying it was only some drugs.

And you are right that they did it just to satisfy the majority of interwebzians who roll their eyes at anything "non-realistic" . I ask you, since when were games realistic ? When was realism fun ? It is only in a very few cases where survival and simulation mechanincs make realism fun, otherwise I would rather they keep FUN paramount and sacrifice everything else for it. That is the reason I like japanese devs more. They don't care if a mechanic makes their game look silly, if in the long run it is fun, it is in !

About UC3 endgame

I also think it's funny how the hallucinating Drake imagines demons that explode and these explosion physically affects him in real life and can kill him, I mean to say what the fuck mate ? What kind of dick logic is it to disregard all that and simply say it was a hallucination ? Uncharted games have always had trouble with bringing about a cohesiveness between the transition from its gameplay to cutscene/story moments and vice versa. The desert part where he's thirsty and immediately starts shooting random goons forgetting about his thirst completely was another such jarring transition.

You do forget that he gets to drink down in the bottom of the well, before he starts shooting. But , yes, it wasn't enoigh to get up and going so fast.

I get the feeling U3 story was severely rewritten at some point.

The bad guys already have that stuff that causes hallucinations and let's them control people even before they find it in that ancient city.

And there was that plot point about Drake not really being Sir Fransis Drake's descendant that was mentioned but never got anywhere.

Back