Samsung Exynos 5250 - production starting in Q2 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I'm talking about driver implementation and interoperability. They did the absolute minimum in terms of drivers to make it work; the whole CPUFreq layer is identical and even treats it as a CA15/CA7 part. All the auxilliary IP block drivers are 32-bit, the device tree is exposed as ARMv7. The platform that is being pushed to mainline right now / Exynos 7 is a pure ARM64 implementation. I'll try to investigate more once I have the device, but I really doubt you'll ever see this thing running in AArch64.

Will the 7420 be a new SoC, or just the 5433 rebranded together with a 64bit software stack?

Does Samsung implement some kind of "hotplugging" in his Exynos with the HMP enabled ? Or any power gate ? Because in the videos I always see all the 8 cores on with the CPU-Z.

Does Samsung implement some kind of "hotplugging" in his Exynos with the HMP enabled ? Or any power gate ? Because in the videos I always see all the 8 cores on with the CPU-Z.
I wrote an explanation how A15/A7 power management works in the Kirin 920 part of the Honor 6 review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8425/huawei-honor-6-review/4

The same mechanism applies to Samsung's chips, albeit they have a bit different idle states but it's of no importance to the core mechanism.

TLDR; Seeting cores offline is actually a very bad thing. Modern cores do it transparently without the OS really knowing it.

I wrote an explanation how A15/A7 power management works in the Kirin 920 part of the Honor 6 review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8425/huawei-honor-6-review/4

The same mechanism applies to Samsung's chips, albeit they have a bit different idle states but it's of no importance to the core mechanism.

TLDR; Seeting cores offline is actually a very bad thing. Modern cores do it transparently without the OS really knowing it.
Very interesting the part of the soc, so even if it is not represented by software it can actually just have 2big cores + 2little cores online ?

I didn't know you were Andrei I wouldn't have asked you the same question on XDA. I hope you do a similar review of the Exynos 5433 :P

Back