What are the Pros & Cons of having a PowerVR GPU in a Next Gen Console?

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Bacon = Strips = IMG PowerVR processes in strips of pixels. Obvious.

Cake = Layers or stacks(pancakes) = Stack of PowerVR chips.

Pie = Filled with fruit = Apple Pie = Apple

Brown Sauce = Tough = Google = HP Sauce = High Performance (HP) = console = Aha!

So there you go, A high performanced, stacked, PowerVR chip for an Apple console!!

Now I'm hungry.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1603023&postcount=28

Pro: Rys could be asked to share intimate details about the inner workings of the GPU powering the next gen console.

Con: Rys would never say anything about said chip or said console.

Pro: Rys could be asked to share intimate details about the inner workings of the GPU powering the next gen console.

Con: Rys would never say anything about said chip or said console.

We always have Simon F.... who by BTW provided very good technical coverage on Dreamcast's PVR2DC back in the day. What was it, the Saturn then the DC Technical PAges, then alwaysgame.com now defunct.

There are 8 Rogue licensees as at Dec11, only 4 are named being ST,TI,Renesas and Mediatek. Two are highly likely to be Apple and Intel. Leaves two unnamed. Throw in the Caustic acquisition and the in-house raytracing capability and the fact that RT for mobile SoC is years away leaving a Series6/caustic combo a likely candidate for a potential console or two???

There are 8 Rogue licensees as at Dec11, only 4 are named being ST,TI,Renesas and Mediatek. Two are highly likely to be Apple and Intel. Leaves two unnamed. Throw in the Caustic acquisition and the in-house raytracing capability and the fact that RT for mobile SoC is years away leaving a Series6/caustic combo a likely candidate for a potential console or two???

There's a very high chance one of those is Samsung.

DX11.1 being an update meant for mobile devices (targeted by Windows 8), I would expect Rogue to support it.
Your assumption seems to be correct. ;)

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=666

All members of the Series6 family support all features of the latest graphics APIs including OpenGL ES ‘Halti’*, OpenGL 3.x/4.x, OpenCL 1.x and DirectX10 with certain family members extending their capabilities to full WHQL-compliant DirectX11.1 functionality.

in this video the guy says that the series 6 can go up to the Teraflop range at mobile power consumption, & after looking at the rumored Next Xbox specs, a high clocked 32 core PowerVR Series 6 would look pretty good in a Next-Gen Console.

in this video the guy says that the series 6 can go up to the Teraflop range at mobile power consumption, & after looking at the rumored Next Xbox specs, a high clocked 32 core PowerVR Series 6 would look pretty good in a Next-Gen Console.

Why do people in this thread still alk about PowerVR in a console when it's pretty much been confirmed that both consoles will be running AMD GPU's..

Why do people in this thread still alk about PowerVR in a console when it's pretty much been confirmed that both consoles will be running AMD GPU's..
Sony took out an extended PowerVR licence and the use of the Vita makes a console licence more likely but far from proven. Some of us hope if the PS3 really is on a 10 year cycle than just maybe the PS4 will use PowerVR real-time ray tracing. Very long shot mind you. EDIT: Plus PowerVR have been mentioning console's more and more in passing. EDIT2:There is also talk about an Apple console in the works.

I have seen nothing to confirm both consoles are running AMD. Can you please prove that? The only evidence I have ever seen is the Sony extended PowerVR GPU licence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony took out an extended PowerVR licence and the use of the Vita makes a console licence more likely but far from proven. Some of us hope if the PS3 really is on a 10 year cycle than just maybe the PS4 will use PowerVR real-time ray tracing. Very long shot mind you. EDIT: Plus PowerVR have been mentioning console's more and more in passing.

I have seen nothing to confirm both consoles are running AMD. Can you please prove that? The only evidence I have ever seen is the Sony extended PowerVR GPU licence.

It all but confirmed that the next Xbox is using AMD graphics and pretty much all the leaks and reports are flat out saying it's an AMD based GPU, I've not seen one leak or post yet saying that PowerVR is going to be used in the next Xbox.

Can't find the news article but it pretty much stated that AMD has won the contract to make and supply all 3 next generation consoles with GPU's.

It all but confirmed that the next Xbox is using AMD graphics and pretty much all the leaks and reports are flat out saying it's an AMD based GPU, I've not seen one leak or post yet saying that PowerVR is going to be used in the next Xbox.

Can't find the news article but it pretty much stated that AMD has won the contract to make and supply all 3 next generation consoles with GPU's.
It’s just every time I come across someone saying that the only reference anyone has are to other fans/forum posts saying the same thing. What was the article souce? I have yet to see any leaks and reports saying AMD for Sony.

It seems to me there is more evidence towards PowerVR over AMD at this stage. Ok, perhaps not for the Xbox, but for Sony and Apple consoles.
EDIT: If Sony are still years away would they have even finalised specs yet?

It’s just every time I come across someone saying that the only reference anyone has are to other fans/forum posts saying the same thing. What was the article souce? I have yet to see any leaks and reports saying AMD for Sony.

It seems to me there is more evidence towards PowerVR over AMD at this stage. Ok, perhaps not for the Xbox, but for Sony and Apple consoles.
EDIT: If Sony are still years away would they have even finalised specs yet?

They have finalised or be close to it...

I obviously must have "missed" any of that "evidence" that PowerVR has more chances than AMD for the PS4.

The 2nd time Kristof talks in that video about multi-core vs. multi-cluster within the same core (in connection to Rogue for the latter) it became pretty obvious to me that the Novathor A9600 Rogue could most likely be a G6400.

As far as I've understood things PowerVR RTX hw is a dedicated ray tracing processor that is there to assist existing GPU solutions targetting professional solutions and probably consoles. It'll probably work just as well with Rogue as with any other DX11 GPU IP for future consoles. Else there's no hard evidence that IMG could have won a GPU IP console design.

Unless I'm wrong that RTU was in development by Caustic even before IMG acquired them.

almighty,

I'd very surprised if SONY hasn't finalized the specs by now. Different reliable background sources point at a very specific solution, but I've no intention to go into any specifics since I promised confidentiality. If those are for real I guess many will be quite surprised since the usual expectations I've read about it so far are either exaggerated or idiotically high.

almighty,

I'd very surprised if SONY hasn't finalized the specs by now. Different reliable background sources point at a very specific solution, but I've no intention to go into any specifics since I promised confidentiality. If those are for real I guess many will be quite surprised since the usual expectations I've read about it so far are either exaggerated or idiotically high.

Not expecting anything outrageous but in the end I hope it's more impressive than the rumored specs for the Wii-U or Nextbox.

Not expecting anything outrageous but in the end I hope it's more impressive than the rumored specs for the Wii-U or Nextbox.

Well then whether AMD, PowerVR or OoompaLoompa (tm) GPU IP, it should be pretty safe to assume that the GPU will be at least DX11 and that should go for both Microsoft and SONY.

Well then whether AMD, PowerVR or OoompaLoompa (tm) GPU IP, it should be pretty safe to assume that the GPU will be at least DX11 and that should go for both Microsoft and SONY.

Oh I agree, it's just the latest rumor regarding the nextxbox is rather disappointing (not that I believe it). A GPU derived from a 6670 seems a tad slow IMO even if it is a DX11 GPU.

Oh I agree, it's just the latest rumor regarding the nextxbox is rather disappointing (not that I believe it). A GPU derived from a 6670 seems a tad slow IMO even if it is a DX11 GPU.

Or you and the widest majority had too high hopes in general for next generation consoles.

Or you and the widest majority had too high hopes in general for next generation consoles.

So even though I'm not one of the people from the looney bin hoping for a 32 SPU Cell, 8GB of memory, and a 580 GPU, my expectations are still too high?

That's depressing lol

Thanks man.

So even though I'm not one of the people from the looney bin hoping for a 32 SPU Cell, 8GB of memory, and a 580 GPU, my expectations are still too high?

That's depressing lol

Thanks man.

If both major console makers will go for SoCs (which I believe they will) there are limits especially since they're seeking to reduce costs.

Back