Formula 1 - 2012 Season

Dave, which coverage of the F1 do you watch? I'm stuck to the swiss tv one or RTL. The Swiss one is great for some additional Sauber info and only one commercial per hour but otherwise pretty unsatisfactory on anything technical (in Australia, they failed to point out on numerous occasions on which tyres the drivers like Vettel or Button/Hamilton were while comparing laptimes to one another). RTL on the other hand... well, far too many annoying commercials (that last about 5 minutes too) and Niki... well... :???:
Being in Canada I am limited to the only broadcast option of TSN's transmission. We used to have Speed as an option, but in recent years TSN have exercised their right to exclusive Canadain transmission so Speed has to blackout or broadcast some truck building shows or something instead. Because F1 is a little more limited in following here than other locations they only broadcast the FIA primary feed, so we start 5 mins before the Qualifying and end right after the clasification and we get 5 mins before the race and then up to the interviews. The only benefit of this is that TSN do not want to outlay too much on their coverage so they pick up the BBC feed for commentry, which is a good thing.

With the split in coverage between BBC and Sky, it was a gamble to see which way they would go this year - however, even though BBC are not, themselves, showing all the race live they are doing the commetry live so TSN have picked it up again (I guess BBC still had a lot of interest from other broadcasters as well). I was kinda hoping TSN would go with Sky because Brundle is always worth it - he's knowledgable, spots things and often comes up with great one-liners - and Legard knows his stuff from doing the BBC Radeio 5 Live commentry over the years. BBC still has Coulthard, and he knows the tech side well, and Ben Edwards is at least a proven commentator - IIRC he used to be on Speeds F1 commentry team and for the past couple of years he's been doing the British Touring Car Championship commentry.

Like I say, even though the BBC commentry feels like it has lost a little in comparison to Sky, it is still very good, and I shudder to think what would happen if TSN started carrying their own commentry team!

Whats this Dave

Shouldnt you be getting some inside info for your money (maybe some passes for the canadian gp)
do you just sposor them or are you giving them tech ?

Whats this Dave

Shouldnt you be getting some inside info for your money (maybe some passes for the canadian gp)
do you just sposor them or are you giving them tech ?

IIRC AMD provided hardware for them at least when the deal was first signed

Being in Canada I am limited to the only broadcast option of TSN's transmission. We used to have Speed as an option, but in recent years TSN have exercised their right to exclusive Canadain transmission so Speed has to blackout or broadcast some truck building shows or something instead. Because F1 is a little more limited in following here than other locations they only broadcast the FIA primary feed, so we start 5 mins before the Qualifying and end right after the clasification and we get 5 mins before the race and then up to the interviews. The only benefit of this is that TSN do not want to outlay too much on their coverage so they pick up the BBC feed for commentry, which is a good thing.

With the split in coverage between BBC and Sky, it was a gamble to see which way they would go this year - however, even though BBC are not, themselves, showing all the race live they are doing the commetry live so TSN have picked it up again (I guess BBC still had a lot of interest from other broadcasters as well). I was kinda hoping TSN would go with Sky because Brundle is always worth it - he's knowledgable, spots things and often comes up with great one-liners - and Legard knows his stuff from doing the BBC Radeio 5 Live commentry over the years. BBC still has Coulthard, and he knows the tech side well, and Ben Edwards is at least a proven commentator - IIRC he used to be on Speeds F1 commentry team and for the past couple of years he's been doing the British Touring Car Championship commentry.

Like I say, even though the BBC commentry feels like it has lost a little in comparison to Sky, it is still very good, and I shudder to think what would happen if TSN started carrying their own commentry team!
Brundle is commenting with Crofty on Sky. It seems to be going well, I think. Legard was too much of a radio commentator.

Yep the Sky broadcast is excellent, luckily I can watch it too. I also watched the highlights show later from BBC and it wasn't bad, but I'll stick with Sky when they broadcast simultaneously.

For me Brundle really does it. He knows a lot and speaks in a way which makes it easy and fun to listen to. Not the over the top screaming you get with a lot of other presentators.

For those who are stuck with crappy commentators I really recommand trying out the link Kaotik posted on the previous page. Quality isn't perfect, some artifacts and sharpness seems to be just a tad below normal broadcast but more than good enough to watch on a old CRT tv. Don't know who it would look on a large flatscreen though. Anyway for me i'd gladly give up some IQ to not have to listen to Dutch commentary. Had to put up with it for the first race buy my god, this guy sucks.

I'm a really sad guy and watched both the Sky and the BBC version for the Melbourne race.

Sky just edges it, love the Skypad with Anthony Davidson but the BBC coverage is still excellent and I reckon David Coulthard has upped his game a bit - almost to Brundle levels!

The pit commentary was better last year though with that Ted Kravitz bloke...

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought BBC had a sweet programming package put together for F1 last year. Their HD was fantastic and Brundle and Coulthard were really good together. I also enjoyed the buildup with Eddie Irvine and his crazy shirts and Jack Humphries as well. Ted Kravitz with the in-pit commentary was awesome too. Sucks that the team got broken apart like that. I will just grab whatever HD release I can find over the web. Being in the US sucks when it comes to sports.

Finnish news (MTV3) is reporting today that Kimi will have an angry birds slingshot to help get better starts. It should help him get to first place before first corner even if he starts from the back of the grid. It´s legal because its not part of the car. The pit crew must disassemble it before the first lap ends though.

1368879-max555x555.jpg

;)

That will spice up some races even more :D
I think Kovalainen deserves slingshoot too as he's driving this season in AngryBird helmet!

That will spice up some races even more :D
I think Kovalainen deserves slingshoot too as he's driving this season in AngryBird helmet!

Actually the news said both Kimi & Kovalainen get it, as Rovio sponsors them both

I've rewatched Malaysia: it was Button's fault on Karthikeyan, and it was Karthikeyan's fault on Vettel. There you go. D:

I've rewatched Malaysia: it was Button's fault on Karthikeyan, and it was Karthikeyan's fault on Vettel. There you go. D:
So if Vettel bumps Button, can we then play the F1 version of "Rock Paper Scissors"?

Back