Predict next generation console names.

Would 4 being some "unlucky number" in Japan really be enough not to use it for PS4?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions#Death_and_the_supernatural
There are several unlucky numbers in Japanese. Traditionally, 4 and 9 are unlucky. Four is sometimes pronounced shi, which is also the word for death.[3] Nine is also sometimes pronounced ku, which can mean suffering. 13 is also occasionally thought of as unlucky, although this is imported from Western culture. Because of these unlucky numbers, sometimes levels or rooms with 4 or 9 in them don't exist in hospitals or hotels, and particularly in the maternity section of a hospital, the room number 43 is avoided because it can literally mean "still birth." Therefore, when giving gifts such as sets of plates, they are normally sets of three or five, never four.[2]

I don't know about CE products, but I have heard of their superstitions before in buildings and stuff. Similar to western buildings avoiding a thirteenth 13. I guess it's more the association then the similarity, so Japan won't shun 4 entirely (good like getting anywhere with your culture if you just ignore the number 4! Why even name them the same name?!) but in a hospital you don't want people reading 'death' everywhere! As such, I can see Sony wanting to skip PS4 in Japan if it also reads PlayStation Death. Really dumb name choices for numbers - why don't they just pick new names for 4 and 9 and solve all this nonsense?

Really dumb name choices for numbers - why don't they just pick new names for 4 and 9 and solve all this nonsense?

They certainly could, and it's possible that the upcoming PS Vita is a hint in that direction. I wouldn't really be surprised either way, though.

They certainly could, and it's possible that the upcoming PS Vita is a hint in that direction. I wouldn't really be surprised either way, though.
I meant why doesn't Japan as a whole change the names they give to 4 and 9 if they are that much trouble?!

The relation of 4 and 9 to the negative/ominous words are so rooted in historical culture that at this point even if you did change their names, they would still carry their original stigma. Why they are that way to begin with I'm not sure. Would have to look up the etymology.

Funstation already exists as a pirate console, a copycat for Playstation ;)

edit: For some reason I suspect that the next PS will follow something similar to PS Vita. They are going to do some small rebranding/renewal than simply throw another number.
The next console will be something more than the next PS console. It will be something that will have to communicate the digital ecosystem to the consumer (music, videos, games, computing, internet, media) at least "abstractly".
After 3 playstations, with successors using numbers, they still carry the legacy of a gaming console left by the original Playstation. This is not the complete vision behind the console when its trying to integrate so many functionalities.

MS realized this very well. They partially rebranded the logo and name to add some newness to the successor of the original XBOX.

I think PS4 is pretty much certain

And as for Xbox i'm expecting something like Xbox Loop, Xbox Arc, Xbox Next etc.

Not Xbox 720 or Xbox 1080 as they don't have any meaningful relation to the 'Xbox 360 degrees' name of the current system.

Perhaps even Xbox 3 or Xbox 3D

This design firm is suggesting Xbox Prestige...

xbox_prestige_01.jpg

http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/11/23/xbox-evolution/

Looks well done.

Tommy McClain

[EDIT] More pics from the original source Joseph Dumary...

326048_wqlegOzUoFzz7I0kD19g_6tiH.jpg

326048_9OhZn_P4ekXoByeSavU3obiut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
aside from the fact that it's clearly non functional, yes it looks decent.

<edit> ok the controller looks fucking horrid.

That design doesn't really say "I'm a next gen console", rather "I'm a stripped down cheap version of xb360 that uses no physical media, only dl games".

and the kinect2 looks like it would fall over if it moves around a bit, not that his design looks like it could move at all.

Why do people bother doing their own suggested mockups of consoles that they have no insight into? There is a 0% chance that the consoles will follow their design.

The most obvious reason is more exposure for their portfolio so they can possibly get more clients & projects. Has nothing to do with giving input to the highlighted product or company.

Tommy McClain

Back